Sponsored

Poll: Heading out on my longest one-day round trip this morning....754 miles door to door.

How long will Round Trip Be: How Long at each Charging stop: What will my efficiency be)

• Total voters

kizamybute'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
This one, that one and the other one.
Clubs

I've had my truck for 14 months and completed a couple of 660 mile trips that were completed in moderate temperature climates. Usually average 2 miles per kw on 20" all-terrains. Most of this trip will be through soring temperatures above 100 degrees.

This one today will be a 754 mile round trip on 20" all-terrains, yet one size down to 276/60/20.

My trip starts off at home in Northern Los Angeles city. Heading out to Azusa, then on to Riverside to pick up, of all things; an ICE engine. From Riverside. From there, head out to North Las Vegas to drop off that engine while picking up two more ICE engines along the way. My plan will be to stop at the RAN charger in Barstow to top off, then head for Vegas to find a charger in Vegas to top off again. Drop off one of the ICE engines and pick up two more engines. From there.

Will then head back out to Barstow to top off again at the RAN charger in Barstow on my way through to Bakersfield.

From the RAN in Barstow, I will cut across the desert to get out to North Bakersfield. There I will drop off the remaining two engines. From Bakersfield, I need to find a place to top off the charge on the truck and will head out on the final leg of the trip to get me back home .

754 miles later. Certainly farther than I'll normally go in an EV, especially in a single day, so we'll see how the experience is. Don't expect much resistance at the Barstow chargers. Fingers cross for the EA chargers and that they work.

From there, will head across the 58 Freeway /' Highway to get to Bakersfield to drop off the last two engines.

FOUR Polls for this trip: (Which accounts for three stops to drop off and pickup FOUR ICE engines at three places along the way).

POLL #1; what do you think my overall efficiency will be? I am aiming for 2.0, but will be satisfied with 1.9 on the all-terrains.

POLL #2. How much time will I spend at chargers. Probably 40 minutes at each Barstow charger, 40 minutes at the Vegas charger and my final charger in Bakersfield to top off with enough to get home.

POLL #3. How long will my 754 mile round trip take?

Leaving at 7:00 AM: Figuring an hour stop at each engine dropoff / pickup spot, four charging stops at about 40 minutes each.
Seems a little Ironic that an EV will carry no les than three ICE engine with an EV vehicle.

Probably will drive between 75MPH and 85 MPH most of the way. How long do you think to entire starting point to same starting / finishing point trip will take. Which includes going up and over the famous grapevine.

Will plan food stops each time in Barstow. The rest will just be stops to top off the charge and grab a few drinks or munchies for the road.

Will keep track of logs at each stop to answer all of the above as the day goes on.

Supposed to be well over 100 degrees most of the trip, so the AC will be running.

Trip starts at 7:00 AM today. 754 miles. Four charging stops. Two stops to load and unload engines then make it back home all at a likely speed of between 75-85 MPH>

Poll #4 - How long will the entire trip take?

Will update this when I get home.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

I don't think that's how polls work here? YMMV

azbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mach E, Hummer EV SUT
Occupation
Engineer
My trip tomorrow is 722 miles one way, Phoenix to Tahoe. With the storm, I will likely cannonball it with 6 short charging stops. Could be as few as 3, but winds will be high. Although with Hilary moving south to north the second half should be a tailwind. My goal is to beat the heavy rain.

sub

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model 3
I've had my truck for 14 months and completed a couple of 660 mile trips that were completed in moderate temperature climates. Usually average 2 miles per kw on 20" all-terrains. Most of this trip will be through soring temperatures above 100 degrees.

This one today will be a 754 mile round trip on 20" all-terrains, yet one size down to 276/60/20.

My trip starts off at home in Northern Los Angeles city. Heading out to Azusa, then on to Riverside to pick up, of all things; an ICE engine. From Riverside. From there, head out to North Las Vegas to drop off that engine while picking up two more ICE engines along the way. My plan will be to stop at the RAN charger in Barstow to top off, then head for Vegas to find a charger in Vegas to top off again. Drop off one of the ICE engines and pick up two more engines. From there.

Will then head back out to Barstow to top off again at the RAN charger in Barstow on my way through to Bakersfield.

From the RAN in Barstow, I will cut across the desert to get out to North Bakersfield. There I will drop off the remaining two engines. From Bakersfield, I need to find a place to top off the charge on the truck and will head out on the final leg of the trip to get me back home .

754 miles later. Certainly farther than I'll normally go in an EV, especially in a single day, so we'll see how the experience is. Don't expect much resistance at the Barstow chargers. Fingers cross for the EA chargers and that they work.

From there, will head across the 58 Freeway /' Highway to get to Bakersfield to drop off the last two engines.

FOUR Polls for this trip: (Which accounts for three stops to drop off and pickup FOUR ICE engines at three places along the way).

POLL #1; what do you think my overall efficiency will be? I am aiming for 2.0, but will be satisfied with 1.9 on the all-terrains.

POLL #2. How much time will I spend at chargers. Probably 40 minutes at each Barstow charger, 40 minutes at the Vegas charger and my final charger in Bakersfield to top off with enough to get home.

POLL #3. How long will my 754 mile round trip take?

Leaving at 7:00 AM: Figuring an hour stop at each engine dropoff / pickup spot, four charging stops at about 40 minutes each.
Seems a little Ironic that an EV will carry no les than three ICE engine with an EV vehicle.

Probably will drive between 75MPH and 85 MPH most of the way. How long do you think to entire starting point to same starting / finishing point trip will take. Which includes going up and over the famous grapevine.

Will plan food stops each time in Barstow. The rest will just be stops to top off the charge and grab a few drinks or munchies for the road.

Will keep track of logs at each stop to answer all of the above as the day goes on.

Supposed to be well over 100 degrees most of the trip, so the AC will be running.

Trip starts at 7:00 AM today. 754 miles. Four charging stops. Two stops to load and unload engines then make it back home all at a likely speed of between 75-85 MPH>

Poll #4 - How long will the entire trip take?

Will update this when I get home.
I predict that you will need more than 4 charging stops. And the stops will last longer than 40 minutes.

Sponsored

OP
OP
kizamybute'

kizamybute'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
This one, that one and the other one.
Clubs

I predict that you will need more than 4 charging stops. And the stops will last longer than 40 minutes.
Had to abort the full trip. Made it 596 miles. Too many unforeseen delays prevented me from making the last leg of the trip to Bakersfield.

Ended up with a total of three charging stops, (30, 40 and 30 minutes). Two at the RAN in Barstow which were GREAT. Another HUGE Electrify America failure. Tried to charge up once in Vegas. Arrived to a Walmart location that had four chargers. Two were working. One said one of the two cords was working, but it was not. People were waiting in line. Tried calling EA. First call got disconnected after 15 minutes on hold. Second call finally went through after being on hold for 25 minutes waiting to reach someone. They rebooted the charger, but still didn't work.

About an hour after I arrived, one of the two chargers finally opened up. The lady using the one next to me was a real piece of work, but I'll leave it at that and not comment any further!!.

It charged to about 70% and errored out and wouldn't restart. So, apparently just one of the four chargers was working. Disappointing that EA is still having so many issues. That delayed by trip by an hour. More when you factor in the indirect consequences.

Apparently the outer bands of Hurricane Hillary were reaching Vegas. Flash flood warnings that brought traffic to a standstill, cost me another hour. Also had delays at each stop.

Also apparently due to the hurricane, hit massive headwinds from Vegas to Barstow. Thought I'd make it EASILY with the 70% I had, but arrived with just 6 miles left after slowing down significantly.

After leaving at 7:00 AM, had been aiming to reach Bakersfield by no later than 9:00 PM. Originally targeting closer to 7:00 PM. Didn't get out of Barstow until 9:30 PM and it was another 2 1/2 to 3 hours to get to Bakersfield. Couldn't ask them to wait till midnight for me to arrive, so drove home instead.

Had I gone to Bakersfield, would have topped off the charge there for about 15 minutes to make it the last 110 miles home. So, would have been four stops total. Both RAN charges were 30 minutes. EA errored out at 40 minutes (after the 1 hour wait for an open charger).

So, would have been just under 2 hours total charging time. Ended up making it home by around 11:30 PM.

Other than for traffic, averaged 75-85 most of the way. But, was down to 60 MPH for the last half of the Vegas to Barstow run due to the head winds which killed my range / efficiency. Had been at about 2.1 miles per kwh prior to that leg of the trip.

This is with custom 20" wheels and all-terrain tires. Tonneau was open with bed partially loaded. probably a small hit for aero.

Rivian R1T R1S Poll: Heading out on my longest one-day round trip this morning....754 miles door to door. 1692494317024

azbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
I just completed my trip from Phoenix to Tahoe and back. Going up I used I-10 to Riverside area then up US395. Ended up making 6 stops, three with RAN (Quartzsite, Inyokern, Bishop) and three with EA (Indio, Hesperia, Bridgeport). I averaged 24 minutes at each charging stop and efficiency was low (2mile/kwh) due to the rain and a slight headwind. That route was 725 miles. At two of the EA stops I had issues with charger, one in Indio only was outputting 32kw, so I moved to another one. At Hesperia one started then failed in 30 seconds, moved to a different one.

On the return I decided to attempt a RAN only experience, and to try out the new target charge feature at each stop in the latest update. The return trip was along I-40 instead of I-10, which added 40 miles, total of 765 mile. I stopped at Bishop, Inyokern, Barstow and Kingman. The technique I used to try out the target charge level feature, was to set up the trip to the next charger when I got to within about 30 miles of the upcoming charger. At Bishop it then told me to charge to 58%, in order to get to Inyokern. So I stopped charging at that point and got to Inyokern with plenty of margin (too much actually). Then at Inyokern, after inserting Barstow, it told me to charge to 51%. We ate lunch at Inyokern, so ended up leaving with 62%, then had just over 100 miles left at Barstow.

The RAN at Inyokern did have a fault and did not start charging when I plugged in. I trusted it and went to the burger joint, then looked at the app and it was not charging. Went back and the station said to unplug and replug, this time I watched it and it did start. The app should have alerted me to this situation. Beware, even the RAN is not perfect, don't just walk away.

The Barstow to Kingman leg was problematic for the trip planning software. When I inserted Kingman just before arriving at Barstow, it planned an extra stop at EA along I-40. That leg is 211 miles. I plugged in and started play with the trip planner and could not get it to provide a prediction for that leg. So I just winged it based on my personal experience ithe the truck, weather was great very light winds and no rain. For me I get 3 miles/% of battery driving at 70-75mph. So I selected 85% as my target SoC (255 miles), giving me 44 miles of buffer. I had to shut off the built in nav for that leg because the truck kept telling me I would not make it, inserted EA an stop and wasted battery for pre-conditioning. I just put the Kingman stop in my phone and monitored the miles versus remaining battery along the way. Got to Kingman charger with 14% and 40 miles remaining. My calculations were near perfect, unlike the Rivian nav. When I did get to within about 40 miles of Kingman, I did select that waypoint and it finally told me I would arrive with 15 miles, still too conservative. It finally corrected to 38 miles as I approached Kingman.

Overall, I will say that the target charge predictor is usable, but definitely too conservative for my liking. It seems to always want to have 70 miles of range left at the next stop and I am willing to go much lower. Having to plan the legs one or two at a time is also frustrating, I really want to plan the trip, send it to the turck and have the truck not try to recompute on the fly. When I was on my way yo Inyokern, I inserted Barstow as the next stop early, and it then wanted me to stop at an EA station in Cosos Junction, instead of continuing to Inyokern and then Barstow. Then I would be starting the charge at higher SoC and not in the sweet spot for speed. Plus that EA site has bad reviews on Plugshare.

At Kingman it told me to charge to 75% to get home, 168 miles, which seemed like too much. I got home with 90 miles left, again too conservative.

RivianRunner

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck DM, F-150, Suzuki DR650
Occupation
Tester
The RAN at Inyokern did have a fault and did not start charging when I plugged in. I trusted it and went to the burger joint, then looked at the app and it was not charging. Went back and the station said to unplug and replug, this time I watched it and it did start.
When it comes to things like computers, I will still try to do the same thing that just failed to work in the hopes that something will be different the second time around. But I've learned that doing the same thing on a computer, again, rarely works. I do it mostly in the hope that I did something wrong the first time.

I'm glad in this case it worked, and I've heard of this being common with third party charging infrastructure like Electrify America. I'm just surprised a RAN charger, on a Rivian, would not just work the first time (or do a self-reset so it worked a few seconds later). I wonder why doing the same thing would fail one time and doing the same thing would then succeed. It's not like plugging in a vehicle is a complicated procedure that you may have got wrong on the first attempt. Just what is going on here?

Because software incompatibility between the vehicle and network doesn't seem to explain it seeing how they were both developed by the same company.

azbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
When it comes to things like computers, I will still try to do the same thing that just failed to work in the hopes that something will be different the second time around. But I've learned that doing the same thing on a computer, again, rarely works. I do it mostly in the hope that I did something wrong the first time.

I'm glad in this case it worked, and I've heard of this being common with third party charging infrastructure like Electrify America. I'm just surprised a RAN charger, on a Rivian, would not just work the first time (or do a self-reset so it worked a few seconds later). I wonder why doing the same thing would fail one time and doing the same thing would then succeed. It's not like plugging in a vehicle is a complicated procedure that you may have got wrong on the first attempt. Just what is going on here?

Because software incompatibility between the vehicle and network doesn't seem to explain it seeing how they were both developed by the same company.
I have done 10 RAN charges at 6 different sites, with only this one failure. Even on EA, I really do not have that many issues overall. I went for two years using EA with zero issues, then recently I had 2 stations give low power and one that dropped after starting the charge.
Sponsored