Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

I suspect "they" decided to draw a line in the sand and for whatever reason 400/800 is what they picked (which by the way is a weird set of thresholds considering how federal tax brackets work - wouldn't it just be easier to fix it to the top bracket?).
400k is set because Biden promised not to raise taxes on anyone making less than 400k a year.

With the price cap they are doing it without saying they are doing it.
Sponsored

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Overpaid Computer Nerd
Clubs

R_1_T

First Name
Lars
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2&4-wheeled

linkwpc

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S, 2016 CMax, 2001 Saleen, 2002 GS300
Clubs

IF it passes, it would take effect on Jan 1, 2022.
If its does passes, there are going to be lots of white/silver R1Ts without no options. I got to go white too!

Sponsored

Mcfly Rivian

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Realtor
If its does passes, there are going to be lots of white/silver R1Ts without no options. I got to go white too!
I'm already set to make those changes. Leaving too much money on the table if not. You could either spec a no option adventure trim and go aftermarket wheels/tires and skid plates. Or load up an explorer trim, paint, wheels, OR package ect.

Acoustic71

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC70; 2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Project Manager

Acoustic71

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC70; 2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Project Manager
Thank you. I was going to point this out

DTM

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'17Bolt, '14 Porsche Cayenne, '04 Dodge {Cummins}
Occupation
Retired.
Compares keeping an existing ICE to buying an EV. I find this guys content pretty solid
This youtube video completely misses all of the environmental damage done by the extraction, transportation, refining & burning of the oil & gas used in today's ICE vehicles. It is not a through investigation.

Sponsored

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Overpaid Computer Nerd
Clubs

If you get the Explore pkg, you can get quite a few options..

BigE

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Honda S2000
I saw this morning, something like 25 manufacturers are preparing to sue through the WTO if the EV “Made in America” stays in the bill. Highly doubtful the Union provisions will make it to light of day, but Biden can say he tried.

Reactions: Rad

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
It is likely the "Made in US" provisions will be dropped completely and we will be left with the MSRP and income caps.

A phased reduction for vehicles over $xx would be better than a hard cutoff line. It would make adding things you want to a build more expensive, but wouldn't introduce an artificial $7,500 jumap at a specific threshold.

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
... people advocated for nuclear, simply don’t know what they don’t know and the single reason it won’t be a major component of the energy mix going forward is very, very simple: economics.
In Pennsylvania, nuclear plants cannot generate electricity and make money for their owners without help from the state. It’s why TMIs remaining reactor was shut down a few years ago. Several other plants in PA, are being shut down soon or are already in the process.
I'm advocating for it, and in my case, I do know what I know and don't know. What I know is alot more than the average person - my first engineering job was with Bechtel Power Corporation as an engineer at a nuclear project in Pennsylvania. I saw the good, bad and ugly of it (budget/cost/money was secondary to "Git 'er done"), and today I stay in touch with friends still in the discipline. All of the economic problems - construction cost overruns, change orders, "improvements", etc. that took place back then, and all of the operating losses today go back to one simple problem. Westinghouse and GE (as well as the Russians, etc.) took tiny prototype reactor designs from the 1950s and just scaled them up by huge factors. By the late 70s, everyone in the industry had realized that was a huge mistake (literally) but it was too late, with dozens of plants built or near completion. It would be similar to blindly scaling a Rivian R1T up to be the largest ever quarry dump truck. Just make that battery pack 100 times bigger - what could go wrong?

Small Modular Reactor (SMR) projects are taking place in other countries. NuScale Power in the US has DOE approval and plans to bring an SMR online in 2026. Also, Canada, Russia and the UK (Rolls Royce) are all planning SMRs. There's been a ton of economic scrutiny on these designs/companies. As the saying goes, what's the cost of continuing on the current path? Solar and wind are part of the answer, but can't and won't fill the coming demand for electricity.
Sponsored