Sponsored

Error Message: Person, Animal or Loose Cargo in Gear Tunnel

ironpig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2015 4Runner, 1975 FJ55 Land Cruiser
I got in the car and had this oddly specific error message. My truck is so new I haven't even put anything in the tunnel yet. I opened and closed the passenger side gear tunnel door and it went away.

Rivian R1T R1S Error Message:  Person, Animal or Loose Cargo in Gear Tunnel IMG_7704.JPG
Error
Sponsored

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

I've had this on my left gear tunnel door since April. They've "fixed" it before, only for it to come back after some off-roading and mudding. They're now ignoring my new service request.
Rivian R1T R1S Error Message:  Person, Animal or Loose Cargo in Gear Tunnel IMG_20220612_184324

Aroohoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
This brings back nightmares...I've spent a good amount of my career trying to address problems that stem from the the same place that is likely the root cause of this.

Some designer/engineer thought it would be good to add a bunch of sensors or use sensors that were already there to monitor for some condition. What they didn't account for was for false positives and the steps that should be taken to reduce those (e.g. use multiple sensors to ensure no single failed/erroneous sensor could cause a false positive, actually do an error stack up analysis to see if the threshold they've chosen for the monitor doesn't result in a high level of nuisance trips, and my favorite actually ask themselves if that function is necessary)

OP
OP
ironpig

ironpig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I've had this on my left gear tunnel door since April. They've "fixed" it before, only for it to come back after some off-roading and mudding. They're now ignoring my new service request.
IMG_20220612_184324.gif
great. It’s another “feature”.

OP
OP
ironpig

ironpig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
This brings back nightmares...I've spent a good amount of my career trying to address problems that stem from the the same place that is likely the root cause of this.

Some designer/engineer thought it would be good to add a bunch of sensors or use sensors that were already there to monitor for some condition. What they didn't account for was for false positives and the steps that should be taken to reduce those (e.g. use multiple sensors to ensure no single failed/erroneous sensor could cause a false positive, actually do an error stack up analysis to see if the threshold they've chosen for the monitor doesn't result in a high level of nuisance trips, and my favorite actually ask themselves if that function is necessary)
we need your skills are Rivian! Can we do a crowd fund to move you to Normal??

Sponsored

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

My big question: how do we disconnect the sensors and interior gear tunnel release button?

Asking for a friend...

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer

I've said it before, and I'll no doubt say it again - "Just because you CAN automate something doesn't mean you SHOULD."

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
My big question: how do we disconnect the sensors and interior gear tunnel release button?

Asking for a friend...
A wiring diagram would be a good start. It could be as simple as disconnecting and jumpering a plug. It could be more difficult if it is a "supervised" circuit that monitors for open/short circuit voltage/current levels. It could be very difficult if it is a self-contained network bus sensor.

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

A wiring diagram would be a good start. It could be as simple as disconnecting and jumpering a plug. It could be more difficult if it is a "supervised" circuit that monitors for open/short circuit voltage/current levels. It could be very difficult if it is a self-contained network bus sensor.
Just might put my Electrician hat on and start snipping ✂

What could go wrong?

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer

Sponsored

Count Orlok

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1S/ 2024 INEOS Grenadier/ 1969 Ford / etc.
Occupation
retired
did you live in the country? Here's what I found under the hood of my GLS after storing it over the winter...

Rivian R1T R1S Error Message:  Person, Animal or Loose Cargo in Gear Tunnel IMG_4844

OP
OP
ironpig

ironpig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
did you live in the country? Here's what I found under the hood of my GLS after storing it over the winter...

IMG_4844.jpg
Haha. I don’t but we do have some enterprising squirrels that I’m always trying to keep out of my old Land Cruiser.

LaunchGreen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover
I got in the car and had this oddly specific error message. My truck is so new I haven't even put anything in the tunnel yet. I opened and closed the passenger side gear tunnel door and it went away.

IMG_7704.JPG
Error

I got that once. I had a stadium chair and a bag in there that didn't appear to have moved much. It went away quickly so I didn't worry about it.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Asking for a friend...
The gear tunnel doors actually have a manual release too.

If you pull the interior switch out the truck constantly warns you about it.

OP
OP
ironpig

ironpig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I got that once. I had a stadium chair and a bag in there that didn't appear to have moved much. It went away quickly so I didn't worry about it.
I got it on my second drive without having ever opened that door or used the gear tunnel.
Sponsored