OP
OP
r1vlife

r1vlife

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T Launch Edition
I would think that having some of their service center employees, in states where they are unable to direct sale, process our paperwork in batches at the DMV would be a lot more cost and process efficient than what they are doing. Especially knowing that this is an issue, they still waited and ultimately will incur expenses for no good reason at all.
Sponsored

swhme

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Land Cruisers, BMW 535&335, MB 300TD, Cayenne
Occupation
Nerd
Clubs

FWIW, my registration experience in Maine has been pretty good. Got the truck about 6 weeks ago, got a call from my town office yesterday saying my registration was ready and I just need to come in to pick up plates. (They recommended that I do it next week so they’re July expiration instead of June)

Voronbrg

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Everything
Lemon Laws help consumers who buy or lease new motor vehicles and have repeated problems getting their vehicles properly repaired under the manufacturer's original warranty. Registration issues aren't lemon laws they are just a pain in the ass. I bought an Infiniti years ago out of state, they would not register it in NJ so I had to do it all myself, was pretty easy to do.
He said his truck was in the service center for over a month. In Texas that's a lemon. Should he choose to exercise his right.

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

As someone who has a truck they can't legally drive, this is a major F-Up. The consumer psychology of having a new toy that we waited years for and spent a lot of money on that we can't drive because the company didn't have their eye on the ball will burn through goodwill faster than all the random minor issues.
Have you, or anyone else with expired tags, tried being proactive at your DMV/DOL/SOS to get a new temp tag/plate?

lefkonj

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A7/Q3 R1S ordered
Clubs

He said his truck was in the service center for over a month. In Texas that's a lemon. Should he choose to exercise his right.
The last piece of the post I didn't read, dumb yes I am.

The challenge with lemon laws is how many times have they tried to fix it. Having dealt with one in the past each state would talk about reasonable attempts to resolve the problem. Not saying having a vehicle for 60 days is reasonable but you would have to fight it out in court unless Rivian just coughs up a new vehicle to replace it, which should be better than a lemon.

Sponsored

_evtrk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'89 Trans Am GTA, '22 Rivian R1T, Pre-order '26 R2
Occupation
General Manager - Retail & Service
Clubs

A little longer than normal but no issues. I received delivery 5/12 and today I got a package through fedex, it was my registration and title, mine I thought would take long because I had actually received my personalized plate about 4 weeks after I took delivery so Rivian had my old plate info, when I received my new plate I simply reached out to my guide and he had me update my registration and plate info. I’m assuming the issues and delays going on are on the individual states side, when I asked my guide 2/3 weeks ago about my registration he said the company they are using had submitted the paperwork already, after I was told this I had been checking on the states site daily, and Monday it showed the Rivian under my vehicle history, so it took the state a few weeks for the paperwork and when the state finished, 5 day turnaround from state to reg USA and then back to me.

cbuckley

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Have you, or anyone else with expired tags, tried being proactive at your DMV/DOL/SOS to get a new temp tag/plate?
It’s going to be State and even personnel dependent on how easy or difficult it will be to get new temp tags on your own or in person. I believe another poster was able to do it in Washington state but another was denied in same state but different DOL.

I called RegUSA and pestered them after not getting much response or action from my guide. Could have been a coincidence but I received a new tag within about 48 hours of opening a case with RegUSA.

Once you buy the vehicle, I’m not really sure what role the guides serve. Every time I am directed to them for an issue, my guide tells me that there’s nothing that they can do other than relay a message to another department or tell me to put in a ticket.

cbuckley

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
A little longer than normal but no issues. I received delivery 5/12 and today I got a package through fedex, it was my registration and title, mine I thought would take long because I had actually received my personalized plate about 4 weeks after I took delivery so Rivian had my old plate info, when I received my new plate I simply reached out to my guide and he had me update my registration and plate info. I’m assuming the issues and delays going on are on the individual states side, when I asked my guide 2/3 weeks ago about my registration he said the company they are using had submitted the paperwork already, after I was told this I had been checking on the states site daily, and Monday it showed the Rivian under my vehicle history, so it took the state a few weeks for the paperwork and when the state finished, 5 day turnaround from state to reg USA and then back to me.
In majority of the cases that people are reporting on here, the state departments are not even receiving the documents or are rejecting them because they are incomplete/incorrect.

The Texas DMV’s in my area have very short turnaround times and aren’t the culprit in my case. They simply never got any of my documents despite dozens of phone calls to Rivian and opening a case with RegUSA. Two of my coworkers bought vehicles within the last 4 weeks and both got new plates in 2 weeks after purchase. I took delivery on March 21st.

OK, I promise this is the last time I am going to whine about this…

Ronimal

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Jeep Wagoneer
In majority of the cases that people are reporting on here, the state departments are not even receiving the documents or are rejecting them because they are incomplete/incorrect.

The Texas DMV’s in my area have very short turnaround times and aren’t the culprit in my case. They simply never got any of my documents despite dozens of phone calls to Rivian and opening a case with RegUSA. Two of my coworkers bought vehicles within the last 4 weeks and both got new plates in 2 weeks after purchase. I took delivery on March 21st.

OK, I promise this is the last time I am going to whine about this…
I agree 100%. I am in MN. Took delivery of R1T 8 weeks ago and VIN is not even registered with the State DMV. Took delivery of a new ICE vehicle AFTER the R1T and received plates and title in a week. Leads me to believe DMV is not to blame here.

I’ll also stop whining … for now lol.

User433

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Yukon Denali
Yes and was told only dealers can buy an extra 30 day temp tag. I didn't bring it up with my guide as I feel I need to keep him focused on few options not more.

There is no evidence that Rivian started the process of getting plates. That's what pisses me off. They had 90 days to figure it out.

Sponsored

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

Yes and was told only dealers can buy an extra 30 day temp tag. I didn't bring it up with my guide as I feel I need to keep him focused on few options not more.

There is no evidence that Rivian started the process of getting plates. That's what pisses me off. They had 90 days to figure it out.
What's the WAC prohibiting you from getting it yourself? Did you ask about a trip permit instead? There are definitely options, you're DOL office just seems unhelpful.

User433

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Yukon Denali
What's the WAC prohibiting you from getting it yourself?
Not sure what WAC stands for, but DOL needs documents from the dealer to self-register

Aag12

First Name
B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Na
Registration and titling a car is more complicated than most people realize. Sure if you focus on one county/state it's not hard, but then realize you need to understand the requirements for each state dmv and know the sales tax per county and document requirements. Some states require inspection documents, some require notarized documents, some require copy of driver's license, some don't etc etc.

Combine that with a new company who probably tried to digitize a lot of this, I'm not overly surprised. Rivian is using a vendor to help with titling, but clearly something is jacked up. Usually the dealership collects docs and passes it onto the vendor to file. Either the vendor they used is inexperienced, or rivian is not collecting the right documents.

All I know is rivian has a lot of angry lenders. Lenders have loaned the money out, but don't have a lien on title so they can't repo the car if necessary!

Ronimal

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Jeep Wagoneer
you need to understand the requirements for each state dmv and know the sales tax per county and document requirements. Some states require inspection documents, some require notarized documents, some require copy of driver's license, some don't etc etc.

Either the vendor they used is inexperienced, or rivian is not collecting the right documents.
Yeah, this is why I hesitate to self-register. Is Rivian competent enough to provide me ALL of my state’s required documentation to make the self-registration “seamless”?
Sponsored