Sponsored

Easing concerns about (early) Rivian manufacturing quality?

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
Rivian won’t even confirm/deny if a glove box even exists in their vehicles. It’s been two weeks since RJ promised better communication and more frequent production updates… I’ll start worrying about production quality when I actually believe they’re close to producing vehicles.
There's no traditional glove box in front of the passenger seat. There are multiple photos on their "Inside Story" post that pretty clearly confirm that.
Sponsored

TXKidd

First Name
Harrison
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y, R1T pre-order
There's no traditional glove box in front of the passenger seat. There are multiple photos on their "Inside Story" post that pretty clearly confirm that.
Correct. I was told all the way back at the COTA event that there would be no true "glovebox". They do have the under-seat pull out storage areas and whatnot to try to compensate.

Diddy123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura MDX
From a chat no more than 5 minutes ago...
Rivian R1T R1S Easing concerns about (early) Rivian manufacturing quality? GB.PNG

Pretty sure it's been confirmed NO on the glove box.
Correct. I was told all the way back at the COTA event that there would be no true "glovebox". They do have the under-seat pull out storage areas and whatnot to try to compensate.
So while some of you may have been told no at certain events, it's definitely not yet confirmed, at least in the limited view of CS agents. PS, this was after the CS agent went looking through the specs to see what he/she could find.

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
You're clearly trying to manufacture an issue out of something that's just not. There's no glove box. We know there's no glove box. There hasn't been a glovebox in any pre-production vehicle they've made. I don't know why you aren't accepting that as proof that there isn't one. It's extremely disingenuous to argue along the lines, "if Rivian hasn't even decided whether there will be a glovebox, how close to production can they possibly be." They decided there would be no glovebox years ago. Do you really expect there to have been some communication to CS saying "THERE IS NO GLOVEBOX"? That's ridiculous.

Go ask Tesla CS chats for information about . . . oh wait... Tesla has no such thing and barely responds to questions by email. Or go to your local Ford or GM dealer and see how many lies the salesman gives you about a specific model within a 15 minute conversation about it.

OP
OP
yizzung

yizzung

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T | Audi allroad
Occupation
Tech
Since this is my thread that’s been hijacked, I’ll bring it back to the subject by confirming that IF indeed there is no glovebox then we can rest assured that there will be no issues with the glovebox refusing to remain closed. :)

Sponsored

Diddy123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura MDX
You're clearly trying to manufacture an issue out of something that's just not.
Negative ghost rider, it's a real concern.

There's no glove box. We know there's no glove box. There hasn't been a glovebox in any pre-production vehicle they've made. I don't know why you aren't accepting that as proof that there isn't one.
I don't know there's no glovebox. I've never been in a pre-production Rivian, nor seen one in person. Anytime someone tries to get photos of the interior, it's strictly prohibited based on the fact that "This isn't what the final production interior will be, and we're still finalizing the interior specs"

The Inside Story doesn't have a single clear photo of the front passenger dash, so it's impossible to tell if there's a glovebox from that or not.

It's extremely disingenuous to argue along the lines, "if Rivian hasn't even decided whether there will be a glovebox, how close to production can they possibly be." They decided there would be no glovebox years ago. Do you really expect there to have been some communication to CS saying "THERE IS NO GLOVEBOX"? That's ridiculous.
It's not disingenuous at all to be concerned about production timeline if specs aren't finalized. CS/Guides have said on multiple occasions that they've gotten to spend time poking around and learning about the vehicles. One would imagine that an answer about the existence of a glovebox is not unreasonable. It indicates to me that maybe there is not yet an answer to share. That would be concerning.

Go ask Tesla CS chats for information about . . . oh wait... Tesla has no such thing and barely responds to questions by email. Or go to your local Ford or GM dealer and see how many lies the salesman gives you about a specific model within a 15 minute conversation about it.
I'm not buying a Tesla, or a Ford, or GM. I don't care what a salesman from one of those places tells me. But I bet they know if there's a glovebox or not.

Sorry OP. I'll stop now.

No glovebox, no problem.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
So while some of you may have been told no at certain events, it's definitely not yet confirmed, at least in the limited view of CS agents. PS, this was after the CS agent went looking through the specs to see what he/she could find.
My experience with the Rivian CSRs has been that they are polite but generally clueless when it comes to the product. There are many examples of contradictory information provided by Rivian CS. I've stopped contacting them because they only frustrate me.

Trandall

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2023 Mach-E
Occupation
Construction Management
I just Confirmed on the website that there is in fact a glove box.

"Our front trunk measures 25.4 in by 54.8 in with a depth of 22.7 in. Large suitcases, coolers and backpacks are no problem."

It is actually a humungous glove box (they call it a "Frunk") and it sits a bit more forward of the cab than a traditional glove box.

Can we debate something better this one is boring? Suggestion, How long will the R1S float if you attempt to ford Lake Michigan?

cohall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
It is actually a humungous glove box (they call it a "Frunk") and it sits a bit more forward of the cab than a traditional glove box.

Can we debate something better this one is boring?
Sure we can. Does the glove box/frunk still have grocery hooks like folks were shown at the shows and events? I dare someone to go ask CS :)

bowhunter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE
Clubs

My experience with the Rivian CSRs has been that they are polite but generally clueless when it comes to the product. There are many examples of contradictory information provided by Rivian CS. I've stopped contacting them because they only frustrate me.
To be clear though, it isn't their fault. I have heard that both CS and guides have requested internally to have more access to the information they are being asked for. The problem sits above them. It seems like guides have a bit more leverage to track down information as I have learned things from my guide that I wasn't previously aware of.

Sponsored

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
It seems like guides have a bit more leverage to track down information as I have learned things from my guide that I wasn't previously aware of.
Any nuggets that you can share? I'm sure these details will be directly related to production quality. ;)

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
To be clear though, it isn't their fault. I have heard that both CS and guides have requested internally to have more access to the information they are being asked for. The problem sits above them. It seems like guides have a bit more leverage to track down information as I have learned things from my guide that I wasn't previously aware of.
I have no doubt that is true. But from my perspective, as a customer, it doesn't matter. Regardless of root cause, the customer gets bad information and is frustrated.

johnbro23

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Occupation
Financial Analyst
Tesla was within weeks of bankruptcy when they shipped their first M3, so they definitely gave the greenlight before quality concerns were sufficiently ironed out. It was a life or death decision. Rivian on the other hand has unlimited capital, and won't jeopardize the brand hit from negative reviews out of the gates over a few months to delivery timing.

Tesla also attempted to implement non-standard processes that ultimately didn't work - Elon trying to stack production on 3 levels; run the line at 20x the speed of a normal factory. They scrambled to pull the plug on these processes last minute.

I fully expect some small imperfections especially in early Rivians, but don't expect that they'll be too major.

E.S.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt
Occupation
Retired
Take into account the arm rest console that is a storage compartment, the decently sized frunk, the tunnel gear, and all that space the R1T is supposed to have, is a glove box really necessary/a concern for that vehicle? Not to me it isn't.
Sponsored