Sponsored

Early criticism? Vote

Should there have been a better front headlight design?

• Total voters

Rivianimal

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche now, Rivian on order
Hey fellow Rivian enthusiasts! I love everything Rivian and have one on order. I really want Rivian to succeed and be #1.

The only two things that may make me cancel my order are 1. Lack of Apple CarPlay (huge deal), and 2. The goofy front headlights that are a prime example of how poor styling can fast-track a vehicle into becoming quickly outdated. Everyone is going to remember the goofy headlights on version one, and trust me: nobody will think they looked good.

Am I the only one who feels this way?
Sponsored

mgc0216

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, BMW R1200RT, BMW F800GS
Occupation
Software guy
Clubs

Your poll needs a "I am ambivalent" option because, well, I am ambivalent.

OP
OP
Rivianimal

Rivianimal

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Where's the "Why the F is there another poll?!?!" option in this poll? ;)?
I wasn’t going to make a poll but the way the forum is designed, the invitation to make a poll was presented to me while composing my thread in such an enticing way that I could not pass up the opportunity.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Rivianimal

Rivianimal

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I see from the preliminary poll results that I am in the minority on my view of this ?

I should have known better than to ask this question to a bunch of fellow Rivian ENTHUSIASTS with vehicles on order ? j/k! Glad everyone loves those headlights! -0——0-

lostpacket

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Crosstrek, R1T
Occupation
Software Engineer
Personally I love the headlights. They are modern and fun and one of the things that lured me in.

Honestly sick of every car being designed so aggressively as if the audience is only 12 year old boys.

Great design is about balance. Using curves AND angles.

OP
OP
Rivianimal

Rivianimal

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I love the headlights.

Too many cars look the same. The Rivian's look very unique in a good way.

cars-jpg.jpg
Totally agree that vehicles all look the same these days. I remember when brands like Mercedes and BMW looked so distinguished.

Sponsored

Trekkie

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 ID.4, 2022 Polestar 2, 2023.5 Defender 110
Occupation
IT Nerd
headlights are awesome, who wants another set of googly eyes or squares. something unique and brand centric. i mean the worst headlights are clearly like early 2000 when Mercades switched to the oval with the top half a signal so it looked like they were stoned when the blinker wasn't on.

LeoH

First Name
Leo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RIVIAN R1S, Tesla S, MAzda CX-30, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Software Engineering Director
At first, they seemed goofy as fuck. They kinda grew on me after a while, but once I saw them in real life and fully functional, they looked awesome!

I say give them a chance :)

sub

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model 3
The only two things that may make me cancel my order are 1. Lack of Apple CarPlay (huge deal), and 2. The goofy front headlights.
You might as well cancel your order then. Both of your deal breakers are part of the package and are not going to change.

Am I the only one who feels this way?
Yes - and no.

It is quite reasonable to dislike R1T/R1S's design and features. The majority of the general population probably would agree with you.

But even if 99% of people hated the design, I would be shocked if even 0.1% of pre-orders were placed by people who hated the design. Because most people who hate the design of something would not put down a $1000 deposit and wait in line for 2+ years to buy it.

You very well may be the only person who saw the headlights, thought hey were a deal breaker, and then placed an order anyway.

OP
OP
Rivianimal

Rivianimal

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
You might as well cancel your order then. Both of your deal breakers are part of the package and are not going to change.

Yes - and no.

It is quite reasonable to dislike R1T/R1S's design and features. The majority of the general population probably would agree with you.

But even if 99% of people hated the design, I would be shocked if even 0.1% of pre-orders were placed by people who hated the design. Because most people who hate the design of something would not put down a $1000 deposit and wait in line for 2+ years to buy it.

You very well may be the only person who saw the headlights, thought hey were a deal breaker, and then placed an order anyway.
I didn’t necessarily say they are definitely deal breakers, otherwise I wouldn’t have placed the order. (When I placed the order I didn’t even know about the lack of CarPlay, but I understand that it’s political with Amazon and that won’t change, even though nothing can match CarPlay at this time, sorry Amazon.)

The lights are acceptable, I just think they could have been much better (only my opinion, and I respect and appreciate that others feel they are perfect). I just feel that if Rivian updates the headlights in future years then because they are presently so unique, they will quickly look outdated and awkward. I am reassured by the love for the lights.
Sponsored

Last edited: