Sponsored

Dual Motor Max Pack more efficient than Dual Motor Large Pack?

DuoRivians

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, MY
I've doubled checked that these fueleconomy.gov figures are both for the R1T, perf dual motor, 21" wheels. The only difference is the battery pack.

According to these figures, it says the max pack is more efficient than the large pack.

Combined city/hwy figures:
  • Max pack: 84 mpge
  • Large pack: 78 mpge

Alternatively, kWh per 100 miles:
  • Max pack: 40 kWh
  • Large pack: 43 kWh

So, is the max pack more efficient than the large pack?

Rivian R1T R1S Dual Motor Max Pack more efficient than Dual Motor Large Pack? IMG_1715

Rivian R1T R1S Dual Motor Max Pack more efficient than Dual Motor Large Pack? Screenshot 2023-10-07 at 2.31.54 PM
Sponsored

pc500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
dodge ram
I wonder if its just a newer software, better efficiency, that wasn't tested in the old one at the time of EPA?

I'd like to see the refreshed EPA test results for all trucks.

OP
OP

DuoRivians

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, MY
I wonder if its just a newer software, better efficiency, that wasn't tested in the old one at the time of EPA?

I'd like to see the refreshed EPA test results for all trucks.
Could be software. Could be the new cells used in the max pack generate less heat, so more efficient?

Ripped

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Dual Max
Occupation
-
It's all just numbers on paper until there is a reasonable sampling of forum members with maxpacks out on the road and reporting back.

240vPlug

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ElectrifiedOutdoors.com
Vehicles
23 R1T (Limestone), 23 R1S (El Cap)
Clubs

I doubt the battery makes any difference in efficiency. Either thr efficiency improved with a software update or they are running a different tune on the max pack vehicles. The only way the battery could be involved in an efficiency increase.... that im aware of... is if it can take higher regen or longer regen.

Like ripped said we need real world testing. Its a significant increase though. What would the range on DM large be with those efficiency ratings?

Probably 360-375 mi is my guess. All we can do is speculate at this point.

Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Could be software. Could be the new cells used in the max pack generate less heat, so more efficient?
Lower C rate will lead to higher efficiency. I'd be surprised if it was this large of a difference though.

pc500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
dodge ram
It's possible the entire fleet has improved efficiency due to software but they haven't retested the pre-max pack and can't advertise it.

We saw efficiency improvements from 2022 to 2023 from the EPA perspective, but reality is all the trucks see the same. However that was quad to quad with no other changes.

aAlpine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ioniq 5, 4Runner
I'm also skeptical a different battery can change the efficiency, but I'm no chemical or electrical engineer.

How is the MPGe number calculated I wonder. Is it just derived based on the EPA cycle range and energy required to recharge the vehicle? We do know that manufacturers can adjust the results of the EPA test (I think/hope only more conservatively?). Maybe this MPGe number is just a result of a less conservative range number on the max pack, which I could imagine them choosing to do to achieve 400 miles. The R1S EPA range is _exactly_ 400, is it not?

CharonPDX

First Name
Charon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, Mach-E, Arcimoto FUV, Repl: F-250/Model S
Occupation
InfoSec Geek
Clubs

$81,300‽? That must be the original pricing, but I thought they weren't honoring that for dual motor. Which also means a max pack COULD be configured at under the $80k limit.

vandy1981

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S PDM MP, 2019 Jaguar I-Pace HSE
$81,300‽? That must be the original pricing, but I thought they weren't honoring that for dual motor. Which also means a max pack COULD be configured at under the $80k limit.
That price includes the destination fee which doesn't count towards the IRA incentive limit. It's $79500 without the destination fee.

Sponsored

vandy1981

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S PDM MP, 2019 Jaguar I-Pace HSE
I doubt the battery makes any difference in efficiency.
You would gain efficiency if the battery has lower internal resistance. The size of the tank could be the same in a lower resistance battery pack, but more energy would be delivered to the wheels since less energy is lost to heat.

Rivian R1T R1S Dual Motor Max Pack more efficient than Dual Motor Large Pack? 1696777423886

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'09 C4S, '18 Atlas, '23 Mach-E
You would gain efficiency if the battery has lower internal resistance. The size of the tank could be the same in a lower resistance battery pack, but more energy would be delivered to the wheels since less energy is lost to heat.
From what I can tell, both the 50G and 53G have an IR of 14mOhms, so that doesn’t seem to explain the difference.
Sponsored