First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Occupation
TPA
... Where has it been even rumored that the app would require a monthly fee...? First I've even heard of the notion.
They were complaining in advance, just in case there was something to complain about.
Sponsored

Smithery

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MX 100D, XC70, Cooper S JCW, R1T Large
They were complaining in advance, just in case there was something to complain about.
I've noticed that *many* people treat these forums primarily as a place to gather somethings to complain about.

They're just usually not entirely made up somethings.

Last edited:

MReda

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi S4, Lexus LX470
I've noticed that *many* people treat these forums primarily as a place to gather somethings to complain about.

They're just usually not entirely made up somethings.
Does it seem like it comes in waves? Because it seems to me that the last week has been one of those waves where people just want something to complain about.

I think there have been a few examples where people have "threatened" to cancel their preorders for something more or less made up. The HUD thread comes to mind.

Eager2own

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜22 Rivian R1T LE
Does it seem like it comes in waves? Because it seems to me that the last week has been one of those waves where people just want something to complain about.

I think there have been a few examples where people have "threatened" to cancel their preorders for something more or less made up. The HUD thread comes to mind.
I will cancel if itā€™s vegan HUD.

Shzeph

First Name
Zak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T, 2004 V70R, 2001 VehiCROSS, 2005 Forester
Occupation
Student
Personally, Iā€™m cancelling my pre-order if it canā€™t run on electricity OR raw steak.

Sponsored

Eeyore

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, ID.4 Pro S, Civic, EX-L, Honda Fit
Occupation
Union Journeyman Electrician, foreman
Clubs

If the app is going to require a monthly fee forget it. Monthly fees are becoming a scam.
That would give me serious second thoughts about buying a R1T.

I'm looking forward to Rivian releasing more detailed information about a lot of "stuff".

Last edited:

bajadahl

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus LX470
Occupation
IT
I'd be quite surprised if there were no physical buttons. One doesn't want to have to go searching through menus while driving in order to move his seat forward half an inch. There aren't many buttons in the Tesla Model X. The seat positioning control clusters are one of the few exceptions (the others being windows, gearshift, auto pilot, windshield wipers, emergency flasher, steering wheel position and glove box).
I think people may be confusing "Seat Memory Buttons" with "Seat Movement Buttons". I can totally see Seat Memory Buttons being developed into the screen menu system and being part of the the automatic key fob system for whoever unlocks the car to drive it with at least 2 memory settings. Heck my wife's 30k Subaru has 2 memory setting buttons but can remember 5 driver profiles with seat settings in the software system. As far as on the fly seat adjustments the Rivian will absolutely have real "Seat Movement Buttons" buttons on the seat...... As far as I know most if not all seat memory buttons are locked out once a car is in gear because you don't want a 5' tall wife accidentally hitting the memory button for her 6' 3" husband.... could be dangerous for her to not be able to reach the peddles.... absolutely no need for physical memory buttons while driving and quite frankly I think the car should be smart enough to know who's driving with the driver facing camera and driver profiles just like my wife's Subaru Forester...

but for those still in doubt here is a picture of the seat movement buttons..... passenger side... but we all "should know" that the driver's side will be at least equivalent if not slightly more movement options.

Rivian R1T R1S Driver Seat Memory Feature 132245620_10157830648987843_4867159559184995465_n

Last edited:

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
Assuming, as I often do, that Rivian's offering will be nearly as good as Tesla's and perhaps slightly better, a driver will be able to set seat position, steering wheel position, rear view mirror positions and possibly mirror auto fold and "easy exit" options and then record these settings into a user profile. The car will then have some way of detecting who is in the driver's seat and then set up the car for that user's profile.

OP
OP

Pcr

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GMC sierra
Occupation
Retired
Assuming, as I often do, that Rivian's offering will be nearly as good as Tesla's and perhaps slightly better, a driver will be able to set seat position, steering wheel position, rear view mirror positions and possibly mirror auto fold and "easy exit" options and then record these settings into a user profile. The car will then have some way of detecting who is in the driver's seat and then set up the car for that user's profile.
I would have to agree with you.

bajadahl

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus LX470
Occupation
IT
We already know there will be a camera facing the driver. This from page 3 of the Driver+ section on the Rivian website - "Our complete hardware system is standard on every Rivian, including an interior camera to monitor driver alertness."

I agree it is as assumption but with a driver facing camera it is very easy for them to recognize who sits in the drivers seat and make all the necessary adjustments. I personally think it's a forgone conclusion that this is how it will work.

Sponsored

cohall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
I agree it is as assumption but with a driver facing camera it is very easy for them to recognize who sits in the drivers seat and make all the necessary adjustments. I personally think it's a forgone conclusion that this is how it will work.
That would be very cool, but I would be extremely surprised if they have facial recognition capabilities at launch. Maybe as an update somewhere down the road.

My guess is the driver profile will be linked to your phone, or a ā€˜buttonā€™ you press on the main screen when you enter the car.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE Retired
My guess is the driver profile will be linked to your phone, or a ā€˜buttonā€™ you press on the main screen when you enter the car.
A button on a main screen is a certainty but there will probably be an automatic method tied to whatever mechanism is used to turn on the car. Does anyone know what that is? Tesla (and others) use "fobs" on some of their cars and a credit card sized card on others. One's smart phone can be used to unlock and start the car if the fob or card is lost. The card uses a standard RFID technology such that other items (one manufacturer makes a ring) can be programmed.

bajadahl

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus LX470
Occupation
IT
I would love it if I could use my phone to start the car... That means my wife and daughters could never take it..... because they can't keep their phones charged.... ?? Oh no I just shuddered to think about my wife trying to keep a car charged.....?

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
... whatever mechanism is used to turn on the car. Does anyone know what that is?
Rivian has previously indicated support for both fobs and phones.

Rivian R1T R1S Driver Seat Memory Feature 0e3a5fef-3d65-4bda-9904-6a32dc8cc06b-jpe

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE Retired
But not just a fob. A fob that looks like a carabiner!
Sponsored