Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Forester, VW ID.4, R1S on preorder
Clubs

FYI, I messaged customer support and asked them this:

Driver+:
1. I know some features are only available on select roads, but what is available everywhere? Can you use adaptive cruise control and lane centering everywhere? What about safety features like emergency breaking?
2. What features are only available on “select roads” that aren’t available on others?
Their response was pretty useless:

For the Driver+, many of the features will work on commonly used roads/highways but wouldn’t work on less traveled roads such as country roads. Through over-the-air updates we will improve the Driver+ capabilities and make it available to more roads.
Totally useless response to direct questions. I responded pressing the matter to ask specifically if lane centering and ACC can always be used. My expectation is lane centering is a Driver+ only feature though, which would be a disappointment.
Sponsored

Scott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

Got another response from CS:

We’re looking forward to sharing additional details regarding Driver+ soon, but there are features such as Highway Assist, Adaptive Cruise Control, as well as Lane Change Assist that are available on highways. Features such as Lane Keeping Assistance, Lane Departure Warning, Blind Spot Warning, Collision Mitigation and Parking, and Reverse warnings will be available while driving in town. All features will be standard with Rivian vehicles, although some may be enabled via over-the-air updates after launch.

I think the agent has to have made a mistake when saying that you ACC is limited to certain roads, but they explicitly state that lane keeping is available anywhere. That is good news, if true. I am taking it with a grain of salt.

Kaprice

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Quest
Occupation
Marketer
The only think I saw in the manually that I was disappointed was that you can't use the Adaptive cruise and Driver + below 20MPH... I wanted to use this in LA traffic.. I'm new to anything with auto drive. Is this normal?
Oh dang! Yeah, that's a big negative. I'm okay with having to maintain full steering wheel control at lower speeds, but having adaptive cruise handle the accelerator and break in slow city traffic and rush hour on the freeway is REALLY needed.

Telluride can do it. I don't see why Rivian couldn't. The only limitation Telluride puts on it is it won't auto accelerate after a full stop if you've been stationary for more than a certain time (1 min? 2?) That's reasonable.

Scott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

Oh dang! Yeah, that's a big negative. I'm okay with having to maintain full steering wheel control at lower speeds, but having adaptive cruise handle the accelerator and break in slow city traffic and rush hour on the freeway is REALLY needed.

Telluride can do it. I don't see why Rivian couldn't. The only limitation Telluride puts on it is it won't auto accelerate after a full stop if you've been stationary for more than a certain time (1 min? 2?) That's reasonable.
It shouldn't be a problem see https://www.rivianforums.com/forum/threads/driver-limitations.2220/post-59210 from earlier in this thread. Summary:
you can activate it just fine in stop and go traffic.

RWerksman

Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T
This is a big question for me. ACC with a competent LKAS that has no geographical restrictions is something I use and want to keep using. Everyone else seems to offer this, so hopefully it’s not locked away in Rivian vehicles.
The bold part being the key. Tesla AP1 LKAS / ACC is excellent. The Honda 'equivalent' abomination is so bad that it sours users on the technology altogether. The range is very, very wide unfortunately.

If they can deliver AP1 equivalent LKAS / ACC on most roads, and add in the lane changing & hands free operation on highways, I'll be happy camper.

Kaprice

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Quest
Occupation
Marketer
The bold part being the key. Tesla AP1 LKAS / ACC is excellent. The Honda 'equivalent' abomination is so bad that it sours users on the technology altogether. The range is very, very wide unfortunately.

If they can deliver AP1 equivalent LKAS / ACC on most roads, and add in the lane changing & hands free operation on highways, I'll be happy camper.
From multiple reviews, it appears that Telluride has a very good LKAS with practically zero ping ponging, even around fairly tight curves -- assuming an easily identifiable set of lane lines.

So, if Kia can do it, Rivian should be able to.
Sponsored