Sponsored

Driver+ Limitations

sacramentoelectric

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model X, BMW i3
Clubs

Now that the manual is out, we've got some solid info on what Driver+ can and can't do. The website used to say it would only be available on, "select highways." The manual states, "Highway Assist only functions on certain divided or controlled-access highways." Have a peek at GM's availability map for the similarly limited Super Cruise. Even if Rivian can match GM's system (which has been available since 2017,) you won't be able to use Driver+ for pretty much anything other than a major interstate freeway out West. If you're coming from a Tesla, this is a huge step backwards. I use Autopilot all the time on two lane state roads in our Model X and I don't think I can go back. I feel safer with it active and I arrive more relaxed and rested when using it. Personally, I don't care about Driver+ being hands free. You have to pay attention either way and keeping my hands on the wheel has never felt like a burden when using Autopilot. I'd trade greater availability over hands free in a heartbeat. Rivian has my deposit and I'm not going to cancel my order until we get more info and drive tests but this is the first issue I've seen that might be a deal breaker for me. I also don't want to wait until 2024 (if I'm lucky) to get a Cybertruck. Anybody want to cheerlead here and tell me why this isn't a letdown?
Sponsored

DB-EV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1s
Now that the manual is out, we've got some solid info on what Driver+ can and can't do. The website used to say it would only be available on, "select highways." The manual states, "Highway Assist only functions on certain divided or controlled-access highways." Have a peek at GM's availability map for the similarly limited Super Cruise. Even if Rivian can match GM's system (which has been available since 2017,) you won't be able to use Driver+ for pretty much anything other than a major interstate freeway out West. If you're coming from a Tesla, this is a huge step backwards. I use Autopilot all the time on two lane state roads in our Model X and I don't think I can go back. I feel safer with it active and I arrive more relaxed and rested when using it. Personally, I don't care about Driver+ being hands free. You have to pay attention either way and keeping my hands on the wheel has never felt like a burden when using Autopilot. I'd trade greater availability over hands free in a heartbeat. Rivian has my deposit and I'm not going to cancel my order until we get more info and drive tests but this is the first issue I've seen that might be a deal breaker for me. I also don't want to wait until 2024 (if I'm lucky) to get a Cybertruck. Anybody want to cheerlead here and tell me why this isn't a letdown?
Thanks for posting. What about east? I use I87 alot for skiing and having it there would make my life good. It runs from NYC to Canadian border.

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
Like every high tech car nowadays, they’re going to be adding features and probably more areas where Driver+ will work over time. It’s the biggest joy of the car as software platform era.

Ralph

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Outback
Maybe keep your reservation until you get a delivery date? And at that point see where they are with delivery the functionality you desire? I know they have lots of job listing currently for engineers to work on this so we can expect "more" at some point.

From my perspective, they have been very careful not to over-promise in this area.

ATL_Canes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC90; R1T LE (Delivered April 2022)
Why only out west? That would be a bummer for sure. I haven’t seen that anywhere.

I’ll do my best to cheerlead - I only used AP on highways (never felt safe enough with it to use it on anything else, but only had AP1). Especially loved it in stop-and-go traffic and long, boring stretches (Atlanta to Tuscaloosa isn’t a fun drive). The car was so much fun to drive, I always enjoyed driving it myself other than the times mentioned above.

This thing is going to be a blast to drive - enjoy it whenever you can!

Sponsored

OP
OP
sacramentoelectric

sacramentoelectric

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model X, BMW i3
Clubs

Like every high tech car nowadays, they’re going to be adding features and probably more areas where Driver+ will work over time. It’s the biggest joy of the car as software platform era.

Why only out west? That would be a bummer for sure. I haven’t seen that anywhere.

I’ll do my best to cheerlead - I only used AP on highways (never felt safe enough with it to use it on anything else, but only had AP1). Especially loved it in stop-and-go traffic and long, boring stretches (Atlanta to Tuscaloosa isn’t a fun drive). The car was so much fun to drive, I always enjoyed driving it myself other than the times mentioned above.

This thing is going to be a blast to drive - enjoy it whenever you can!
Here's the GM Super Cruise availability map. I mentioned out West because that's where I live and you can see that unless you are going on a major freeway, there are an awful lot of great roads that don't work with their hands free driver assist system.

ATL_Canes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC90; R1T LE (Delivered April 2022)

Scoiatael

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
Unless you have a LE its going to be a long wait. By then Rivian will have more roads mapped and maybe drop some restrictions. I wouldn't worry about it too much about it right now.

Ford is doing this with BlueCruise as well. But they still have co-pilot 360 as an option on unmapped roads.

OP
OP
sacramentoelectric

sacramentoelectric

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model X, BMW i3
Clubs

Unless you have a LE its going to be a long wait. By then Rivian will have more roads mapped and maybe drop some restrictions. I wouldn't worry about it too much about it right now.

Ford is doing this with BlueCruise as well. But they still have co-pilot 360 as an option on unmapped roads.
I don't have a LE reservation and don't expect to be able to get a vehicle until the end of 2022 at the earliest. I don't know if we'll need to wait that long to get clarity on Rivian's ambitions for Driver+ though. GM and Ford, as far as I know, just say they're working on mapping more divided and controlled access highways and that their systems are explicitly limited to those types of roads. If Rivian says they are working on more road types or that you will have to keep your hands on the wheel on two lane freeways, I'm all in. If they say Driver+ will continue to be limited to controlled access freeways but they will work to get as many of them mapped as they can, I don't know what I'll do. First world problems, I got em. I've got deposits on the R1T and the Cybertruck and I'm probably kidding myself that I wouldn't take the first one I can get my hands on regardless of the driver assist.

flabyboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6
Occupation
Health Care
I imagine its availability will evolve monthly as they map out more roads

Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

I actually want to drive my Rivian. I don't have any interest in the vehicle doing it for me.

Ralph

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Outback
Last edited:

seventyfour

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A couple
Has anyone tried Blue Cruise or any of the newer lane keeping systems? I’ve tried post-2018 Audi, BMW, and Mercedes versions and they are *bad*. We have a Model S and love Autopilot, but I don’t let it change lanes or do off ramps.

The Audi one drove like a drunk driver in stop and go traffic and the lane keeping would just silently shut off in anything more than a gentle sweeping turn. It would also insist on driving ON the lane markings instead of next to them, and if I tried to correct it it would just shut off. It’s like having someone pulling on the wheel randomly while you’re driving.

I’m really hoping for GM-style, high-function-but-strict-enforcement lane keeping from Rivian. Anything like the other cars I’ve tried, other than Autopilot, is just a gimmick.

linkwpc

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S, 2016 CMax, 2001 Saleen, 2002 GS300
Clubs

The only think I saw in the manually that I was disappointed was that you can't use the Adaptive cruise and Driver + below 20MPH... I wanted to use this in LA traffic.. I'm new to anything with auto drive. Is this normal?

timesinks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4, Sprinter
The only think I saw in the manually that I was disappointed was that you can't use the Adaptive cruise and Driver + below 20MPH... I wanted to use this in LA traffic.. I'm new to anything with auto drive. Is this normal?
Should work fine as long as there's a car ahead of you (and if there isn't, you shouldn't have any problems getting above the minimum speed first):

Rivian R1T R1S Driver+ Limitations 53789D79-7C25-48EE-9997-F678B113F937
Sponsored