First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S and other ICE
Occupation
Consultant
After 5 months of owning our R1S I decided to pull the 256GB SSD and take a look at a trip we took on Saturday morning. I was doing this primarily to confirm it was working and that I could view the files on my computer (but I did want to check one thing - see below). Here's what I learned (and couldn't find anywhere in this forum or the Owner's Guide):
  • The system creates a folder (named like this MM_DD_YY_hhmmss) each time you move from park and, as expected, records everything from all four cameras - each camera has its own file in the folder
  • If your trip is longer than 15 minutes, the system creates a new file for each camera (in the same folder) every 15 minutes with a suffix of 001, 002, etc.
  • Each 15-minute file is almost exactly 1 GB, meaning that a 256GB SSD can almost 16 hours of recordings (incidents and Gear Guard videos can also be saved to your drive)
  • The math to size your drive is pretty simple: Take the size of your drive in GB and divide by 16, so roughly:
    • 256 = 16 hours
    • 512 = 32 hours
    • 1 TB = 64 hours
    • 2 TB = 128 hours
Now for my questions...I'm looking for anyone who might be able to explain missing camera views! Here are the files from my Saturday trip to the bakery:
Rivian R1T R1S Drive Cam - Answers and Questions 1707137772045

You can see that I left the house at 8:11 am for a 20-minute trip, so I ended up with two files for each camera (one 15-minute and one 5-minute). Here's the source of my question...When I went to look at the trip leaving the bakery, I only had two camera views saved!
Rivian R1T R1S Drive Cam - Answers and Questions 1707137887641

Does anyone know why I might be missing the rear and side camera views? The main reason I picked this trip was because when we were backing out of our parking space I had to use (gasp!) my mirrors to see behind me because there was so much glare on the infotainment screen. I wanted to see what, specifically, the rear camera recorded and it wasn't there! I checked a handful of other folders and this looks like the only one missing files.

Thanks if anyone knows the answer and I hope others find this to be helpful.
Sponsored