Door Functions

EMcWhirter

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvette GS, GMC Yukon, GMC Sierra, Tesla Model X
So. I’ve searched and I’ve not seen this discussed yet.
Do we have any clue if the doors on the R1S/T will open on their own at all?
We’ve got a Model X at our condo and the fact that the drivers door opens as you approach, instantly hooked my wife.
After several different instances such as carrying leftovers, getting in the car with grocery bags, hands full of drinks or whatever, the doors opening on approach and closing by either tapping on the screen, pressing the brake pedal, or pulling on the door switch is really nice.
Sponsored

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
I don't recall hearing any mention of this either. I suspect this is not a Rivian feature as they probably would have demonstrated it by now as they did with the power open frunk. I also suspect the Tesla's falcon wing doors may be more amenable to this feature then conventional side hinged doors that open out.

I'm with ElectricTrucking on this though, it's a feature I'd prefer not to have on the passenger doors.

OP
OP

EMcWhirter

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvette GS, GMC Yukon, GMC Sierra, Tesla Model X
I don't recall hearing any mention of this either. I suspect this is not a Rivian feature as they probably would have demonstrated it by now as they did with the power open frunk. I also suspect the Tesla's falcon wing doors may be more amenable to this feature then conventional side hinged doors that open out.

I'm with ElectricTrucking on this though, it's a feature I'd prefer not to have on the passenger doors.
I can understand that. On the model x, the only door the opens as you approach, is the drivers door.

aAlpine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ioniq 5, 4Runner
I worked at Tesla (lowly intern) right before the Model X was delivered, and what I heard was they 1) very much regretted the retractable Model S handles, and 2) didn't learn their lesson with the Falcon Wing Doors. There were LOTS of issues they encountered during R&D and quite a number of replacements were required for some time after, not to mention the costs.

An automatic frunk/trunk should be able to handle hands-full/grocery-bag use case without the added risk of body damage when a door opens into something. On that topic, hmm, i wonder if Alexa will be able to listen to commands from outside the car (via cell phone mic or external vehicle mic)? "Rivian, open the frunk!"

Sponsored

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
On that topic, hmm, i wonder if Alexa will be able to listen to commands from outside the car (via cell phone mic or external vehicle mic)? "Rivian, open the frunk!"
Yes, the cell phone capability has already been demonstrated. RJ also told me at the SF event last weekend that the vehicle will also respond to commands issued to Alexa/Echo devices inside the home to do things like prewarm the vehicle.

Pherdnut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Mazda CX-9
The driver-side door provides a charging port for a flashlight that probably lasts like 80 hours. I like that better, personally.

EyeOnRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 4X, Mitsubishi Endeavor. Pre-order: R1S LE
Yes, the cell phone capability has already been demonstrated. RJ also told me at the SF event last weekend that the vehicle will also respond to commands issued to Alexa/Echo devices inside the home to do things like prewarm the vehicle.
In addition you can watch a video posted on Twitter that demonstrates this along with a discussion on the feature in this thread - Watch Alexa Open the Rivian R1T Frunk

Sheldon

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Construction mgmt
A parallel question for anyone else who has longed for simplicity.
Would it be desired to have a function available to leave door unlocked without the doorhandles sticking out? If I simply want to enter or exit to retrieve or place items while vehicle is securely parked in garage for example.
Having to leave handles protruding and susceptible to damage (kids walking bikes or bringing in trash cans past car) or having to unlock electronically (R1T wakes/beeps, radio plays) especially if FOB doesn’t happen to be on with you can be frustrating at times.

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
Would it be desired to have a function available to leave door unlocked without the doorhandles sticking out? If I simply want to enter or exit to retrieve or place items while vehicle is securely parked in garage for example.
Having to leave handles protruding and susceptible to damage (kids walking bikes or bringing in trash cans past car) or having to unlock electronically (R1T wakes/beeps, radio plays) especially if FOB doesn’t happen to be on with you can be frustrating at times.
If the handles weren't presented, but the doors were unlocked, how would you actually open the door? Where would you grab?

Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

If the handles weren't presented, but the doors were unlocked, how would you actually open the door? Where would you grab?
If you push in the part of the handle that is opposite of what pops out, it pops the rest of the handle out. But you can't do anything with the handle beyond that, it won't open the door.

Reactions: sub

Olsonsolar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Volt - R1T on preorder
Occupation
enjoying life
So. I’ve searched and I’ve not seen this discussed yet.
Do we have any clue if the doors on the R1S/T will open on their own at all?
We’ve got a Model X at our condo and the fact that the drivers door opens as you approach, instantly hooked my wife.
After several different instances such as carrying leftovers, getting in the car with grocery bags, hands full of drinks or whatever, the doors opening on approach and closing by either tapping on the screen, pressing the brake pedal, or pulling on the door switch is really nice.
Sure hope not.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
The door handles are mechanical. If the door is unlocked, the handle is out.

This seems much simpler than having multiple modes for the same state.

Sheldon

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Construction mgmt
The door handles are mechanical. If the door is unlocked, the handle is out.

This seems much simpler than having multiple modes for the same state.
Exactly my point,… It would be nice to utilize the door handle from the flush position to open the door while vehicle is “off” and parked.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
Exactly my point,… It would be nice to utilize the door handle from the flush position to open the door while vehicle is “off” and parked.
And you missed mine. The door handle being deployed or not is mechanically linked to the handle being locked.
Sponsored