Sponsored

Does the underbody shield negatively affect range?

DB-EV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1s
Hi all - I have not gotten a definitive answer on the range hit, if any, from the underbody shield.

I have a LE R1s AT configured. I may get it sooner if I configure a shield (speculation). A while ago customer service told me it would impact range beyond the ATs. But I don't know how much stock to put in that.

So what is the consensus - does the shield negatively affect range? I have seen some saying the aero is the real issue, and it may be better there.

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored

mgc0216

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, BMW R1200RT, BMW F800GS
Occupation
Software guy
Clubs

I have 20" ATs with the shield and I average about 2.21 mile/kWh over the ~10k miles I've put on the truck since I got it back at the end of may. About half that mileage was on long roadtrips over major interstates. 35% is probably driving around the Northwest on various highways and interstates. And 15% is probably driving around town locally. 75-80% of the total miles in All Purpose, the rest minus maybe 1-2% in Conserve.

This translates to about 270 miles for 100% charge in All Purpose or 293 in conserve.

I have no idea how those numbers compare to a non-shielded vehicle, but if some non-shielded folks post some data points we can definitely sort it out.

ETA: I'd be completely shocked if the shield has anything but the most negligible effect on range.

Aroohoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
From what I understand, the shield adds weight and doesn't affect the aero beyond the non shield version.

IMO, I think the range hit is going to be minimal (i.e. in the noise). This is based on what some people are reporting for efficiency numbers for those that have a spare tire and don't. Going by the updated stickers for those with tires, I think it was ~100lb increase in weight. I think the shield is on order of a couple of hundred pounds if I remember correctly. As those that have a spare and those that don't aren't reporting a big difference in efficiency, my guess is that it is in the noise.

Also think of it this way, how big of a change do you see when riding by yourself vs having 4 adults in your current vehicle? I know I don't see a discernible difference.

Dirty_B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Sales
I think you'll get it quicker without the shield... The less options/add ons, the quicker it comes. That's what happened with the Ts.

Singletracker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T w/AT 20”
The Rivian configuration website notes a possible mileage effect with the shield. That seems hard to imagine, but….

Does anybody know what the shield is made of and how much it actually weighs on the R1T? 200 lbs. seems like an awfully lot, but I guess it could be.

Rivian R1T R1S Does the underbody shield negatively affect range? 277AE3CC-0BF5-4E81-A288-AD3E1727FF9F

Sponsored

SolartoEV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T VIN 269*, 2019 RAV4 Hybrid, 1999 Ford F-250
No reinforced body shield here.
20" AT
Just passed 10,000.
40% driving 65 mph or over
60% under 55 mph hilly driving with lots of elevation change

My average over the life of the truck is 2.32.

Probably so many variables that to notice the difference you would really need to do a controlled test on a track.
Sponsored

Last edited: