Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'15 eGolf, '04 Suzuki Grand Vitara
Occupation
Teacher
Clubs

I agree the R1's are marketed as an adventure vehicle. For me, they are too big, unwieldy and fancy for that. I have to think 90% of R1's sold will fulfill the role of a 1990's Dodge Caravan, making trips to Costco, and ferrying the kids to soccer and Little League practice.

Ford figured out how to place a full-size spare tire under the load floor of our little '23 Bronco Sport, which is a foot shorter in overall length compared to the R2. Rivian certainly can figure out: 1) a spare tire is essential for someone driving around the West where cell service can be sparse; and 2) how to shoehorn a compact spare into the back.
Doesn't Idaho have sundowner laws for EVs anyway?

Augsburg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Ford Bronco Sport Badlands (R2 reservation)
Occupation
Retired
Doesn't Idaho have sundowner laws for EVs anyway?
It's called living blue in a red state. Yes, Idaho politics are very backwards - if that's what you are implying. 100 years ago, the KKK here in Idaho burned a cross on the front lawn of my great grandfather because he was of Irish decent (but born in MN) and Catholic. Today, they are trying to burn library books. Anyway, certainly nothing to joke about.

Gen(R3)Xer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Fit
Any insight if the R2 will have the option for a spare tire? Hopefully it is a full spare tire.
With the skateboard platform and all of the seats folding flush I doubt it. Maybe on the back with the right bracket.

Dohmar

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Skyline R32 GTR, Subaru Forester Turbo SH9
Occupation
IT Professional
Don't see space under false floor based on multiple videos, I would personally give up space if it can be safely bolted into the frunk.

Personally I use my frunk for tucking the compressor, tire seal, first aid, and charger in my R1S this way I can use the full bottom and top trunk daily for our needs since its a PITA to raise the third row back up
Full sized spare would probably be mandatory here in Australia. Space savers are OK but if the car is capable of off road (which an AWD with 10" clearance would easily) then you'll want a full size spare. If I'm to compare it with the most popular offroad car here, the Landcruiser, the cruiser has the full sized spare in the rear under the cargo, but most truly dedicated off roaders will add a 2nd spare on the rear hitch mounted, or put it on the roof rack. Its an option but you'd have to ask yourself, with a car like the rivian r2 that has such an amount of space, surely they could engineer the rear compartment to have just a little more room to fit a single full sized spare... I'd even forgo the storage tray where the bluetooth speaker used to go, put batteries in there if it meant putting a full sized spare in the rear. I suppose I'll just have to buy a hitch mounted option, since I don't want to compromise the aerodynamics with a roof rack or roof top tent...

Would also love to see 12v ports, and 2-3 circuits for those 12v ports so each one can be loaded to 10amps, controllable via the center touchscreen. I have a 12v camp fridge, a 12v slow cooker, a 12v rice cooker, that I'd like to use camping... also needs to have the 110v US plug swapped out for 240v @ 10 amps (2400w). Not sure if the onboard inverter thats currently in the R2 can hack it, but would swap it out for an aftermarket unit if I had to. 10amp at 12v would allow me to run a dual induction cooktop simultaneously (Westinghouse WHIC02) or an electric Kettle + Toaster at the same time.

While the aircompressor was nice esp for re-inflating deflated tyres, I do have a 12v compressor that'll do the job in a pinch (provided I can tap in to 50 amps of current @12v)...

Pretty excited to see this, it'll hopefully be the first Rivian available here in Australia as a RHD ev, after the UK gets theirs. If I could get an R2, I would demonstrate it by doing a coastal road trip around the continent. Possibly even tow a 4000lb camper trailer if it doesnt impact the range too badly (The Nullarbor plain is a bad place to run out of juice). Frunk is a great place to throw all the off road gear like air compressor, tyre repair kit, snatch straps, maxtrax (full size probably wont fit?) mini, cable ties, toolkit etc etc... nice and easy to get to in the event of needing it.

Super excited but I'm going to have to cool my heels cause this thing wont be here till 2028 at the very earliest...

Sponsored

Gen(R3)Xer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Fit
GM began testing Michelin's airless tires back in 2021 on Bolt EVs and the goal was for commercial availability to begin by end of 2024, so hopefully the lack of a spare tire becomes less of an issue as availability ramps up.
The Tweel!!! I’ve been waiting forever for this.

Augsburg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
A new video that includes a presentation by Rivian at the New York City Rivian center talked about the spare tire. Although the audio is terrible, it sounded like the Rivian spokesperson said (at about 31.04 in the YouTube video posted by the EVentureFamily channel) that the R2 "will come with an optional spare tire". This is the first time I have heard anyone from Rivian "officially" address the spare tire.

If this pans out, it would be awesome news for those of us living or "adventuring" outside of urban areas.

dishwasher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subarus
Makes sense for where they are in the development process. Rivian needs to have this as an option and it's encouraging to hear them say it will be an option.

JeepEVer

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.pocketpigskin.com
Vehicles
Tesla Performance Model 3, Jeep Grand Cherokee 4x4
Occupation
Cyber Security
There must be a spare tire - at least a compact spare. For us, it is a dealbreaker. This is an adventure vehicle. You take a car like this into remote areas with no cell service. We've had two friends/family that have had their EV get a flat that resulted in too big a "hole" in the tire for the repair kit to handle. That resulted in a lengthy wait for a flatbed tow. It seems like everything has been "skinny-ed" down to weigh less on vehicles these days and tires are not as sturdy as they used to be. I sure hope Rivian comes up with a compact spare under the rear load floor.
As a long-time Jeep owner I am kind of shocked that an "adventure vehicle" doesn't have a spare tire. If you order an off-road package on a Jeep a full-size spare tire replaces the compact spare which is standard for city dwellers. The Rivian may have to remain on paved roads or only do light off-roading so a repair vehicle can provide assistance in case of a flat tire.

Sponsored

Jnz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Jeep Wrangler, Tesla Model X
Clubs

A new video that includes a presentation by Rivian at the New York City Rivian center talked about the spare tire. Although the audio is terrible, it sounded like the Rivian spokesperson said (at about 31.04 in the YouTube video posted by the EVentureFamily channel) that the R2 "will come with an optional spare tire". This is the first time I have heard anyone from Rivian "officially" address the spare tire.

If this pans out, it would be awesome news for those of us living or "adventuring" outside of urban areas.
Yes, I was at this presentation by Brian Gase at the NYC space. Brian mentioned a couple times that there will be a spare, most likely compact. He also mentioned that there would be a rear wiper, though the concept model does not have one.

Augsburg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Yes, I was at this presentation by Brian Gase at the NYC space. Brian mentioned a couple times that there will be a spare, most likely compact. He also mentioned that there would be a rear wiper, though the concept model does not have one.
That's good to have a spare tire confirmed. Although a full size spare would be nice, I'd settle for a compact spare that will at least get you home or to a tire shop.

iansriv

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
I ponder on a lot of absolutely useless things and one is what happens if you get two flats.
Sponsored