Sponsored

Does Rivian SUV have space for a spare tire

Gene

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y, Model 3, Cybertruck, R2 Reservation.
I have emailed Rivian 3 times but I never receive a reply. I know the truck has space for a spare tire. Does anyone here know if the SUV does as well? I wish Rivian would respond after 3 emails. Makes me a bit disappointed in them. I would call them but there is no phone number that I can find on their website :(
Sponsored

ElectricTrucking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911, Chevy Bolt
I would absolutely believe the R1S will have the same option for a spare. Same platform. Nothing different in flooring.

OP
OP

Gene

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I was thinking the footwell for the 3rd row seating in the SUV would take up the same space as the spare tire space on the truck?

PoorPilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I have some vehicles and stuff
Clubs

I know the 3rd row option is not available with the largest battery (180kwh), maybe this is to make room not only for the larger battery, but also the spare. Purely a guess though-

ElectricTrucking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911, Chevy Bolt
I know the 3rd row option is not available with the largest battery (180kwh), maybe this is to make room not only for the larger battery, but also the spare. Purely a guess though-
Another thought might be the way the third row might raise forward sort of like the 2 door wrangler. Could be a little heavy though if the third row actually performs like a comfortable seat. If I can drop the third row seating I would reconsider the R1S over the R1T.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Gene

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
In any event, it is very frustrating that the company does not respond to emails when I ask them these questions.

PoorPilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

In any event, it is very frustrating that the company does not respond to emails when I ask them these questions.
I agree. When I see them post stuff on Facebook or Twitter, it’s almost as if they respond to questions for the first couple of minutes, but then nothing. Granted, a lot of the questions can be answered by simply visiting the website, but still a little odd to be so secretive.

Electronaut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A4
I agree. When I see them post stuff on Facebook or Twitter, it’s almost as if they respond to questions for the first couple of minutes, but then nothing. Granted, a lot of the questions can be answered by simply visiting the website, but still a little odd to be so secretive.
They could just be understaffed too. As a startup I'm sure they're mostly focused on R&D right now. I think they've done fairly well with marketing so far.

PoorPilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

They could just be understaffed too. As a startup I'm sure they're mostly focused on R&D right now. I think they've done fairly well with marketing so far.
Very true. I can’t blame them for using all the free avenues for advertising right now, but I think they will have to step it up as production year (2020) approaches or they might see a lot of their predeposits being refunded.

OP
OP

Gene

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
If a company has a link to ask questions on their website, and a customer asks the same question 3 times, it might be good business practice to take 30 seconds to answer that question.

Sponsored

VinsRiv

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee
If a company has a link to ask questions on their website, and a customer asks the same question 3 times, it might be good business practice to take 30 seconds to answer that question.
I agree with you Gene, I asked a few questions myself about R!S no response back. I am waiting for the reveal of model Y will make my decision after i visit NY auto show,hope Rivian does well cause I like a large vehicle hope not to much $$$

EyeOnRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 4X, Mitsubishi Endeavor. Pre-order: R1S LE
Good question Gene as I've been wondering the same thing. In addition, assuming it will have one, what type - full size or space saver - and where will it be stored? Personally I prefer the full size spare.

aAlpine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ioniq 5, 4Runner

Jump to 13:15 ^

Brian Gase (Chief Engineer) says there's an "inflatable spare tire".

OP
OP

Gene

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles

Jump to 13:15 ^

Brian Gase (Chief Engineer) says there's an "inflatable spare tire".
Thank you for pointing this out. I'd need a full size spare for the places I go. May have to mount it via a rear bumper style mount.

Hmp10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla Model S P90D; 2018 Honda Odyssey
I would absolutely believe the R1S will have the same option for a spare. Same platform. Nothing different in flooring.
The R1T is 15 inches longer than the R1S, and the truck wheelbase is lengthened to accommodate the pass-through storage compartment behind the rear doors. (Note how the rear wheel wells encroach on the rear doors of the SUV but sit well behind the rear doors on the truck.) The truck also weighs 44 pounds more than the SUV, despite the added weight of the rear enclosure on the SUV.

A November 2018 review of the R1S in "Motor Trend" contained this statement about its spare tire: "There's also a rear tub if you take the full-size spare tire out, giving you another 6.4 cubic feet."
Sponsored