Sponsored

Does R1T 2nd Row fold?

OrthoBlock

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, X5 PHEV
Does the R1T 2nd row seating fold in any way. E.g., 60/40, Etc. as they do in many pickup trucks (to create a flat floor area...)?

I tried searching bout could not find an answer.
Sponsored

Sean

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T!
Clubs

Was told a long time ago that on non-max pack that the rear seats will fold up and would have some storage.

On max pack they were going to use that space for extra batteries.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Does the R1T 2nd row seating fold in any way. E.g., 60/40, Etc. as they do in many pickup trucks (to create a flat floor area...)?

I tried searching bout could not find an answer.
Yes, there was a look at the video RJ Scaringe did showing how they fold almost flat. There is also a view in I believe the introduction to the Rivian Guides program that shows it appears to be a 40/20/40 split for the seconf row, third row is 50/50

** Ignore this, I read R1S not R1T, this does not apply....

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
Yes, there was a look at the video RJ Scaringe did showing how they fold almost flat. There is also a view in I believe the introduction to the Rivian Guides program that shows it appears to be a 40/20/40 split for the seconf row, third row is 50/50
He was asking on the R1T

OP
OP
OrthoBlock

OrthoBlock

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, X5 PHEV
He was asking on the R1T
Yes, wondering about the R1T. I have personally not seen any pictures of them folded in anyways, so was wondering if anyone else had any intel...

Sponsored

Rhidan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
OP
OP
OrthoBlock

OrthoBlock

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, X5 PHEV
I think the last we heard on this question was “no” - although Rivian could have changed things more recently based on feedback

Here is an old thread discussing (complaining?) about this:

https://www.rivianforums.com/forum/threads/rear-seat-cargo-space-flat-floor-in-the-future.654/

Here is what the rear seats did at the LA Auto show:

1617099487317.jpeg
Thank you, I had missed that thread previously. It is very helpful.

So it appears that some type of 60/40 folding is contemplated, but not one that ends in a "flat" load floor.

timesinks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4, Sprinter
Thank you, I had missed that thread previously. It is very helpful.

So it appears that some type of 60/40 folding is contemplated, but not one that ends in a "flat" load floor.
We have not seen the production spec, and this may have changed (this photo is from the original prototypes). It's been hinted that they changed course on pack layout/placing/sizing (thus the now-flat R1S), so this might have been fixed. We won't know for sure until they share the finalized interior, which they haven't done yet.

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

We have not seen the production spec, and this may have changed (this photo is from the original prototypes). It's been hinted that they changed course on pack layout/placing/sizing (thus the now-flat R1S), so this might have been fixed. We won't know for sure until they share the finalized interior, which they haven't done yet.
I recall from early conversations/informational pieces that the two smaller battery packs would have that under-seat storage area pictured here. Back then, they said the Max Pack necessitated using that space for the battery, much like the third row disappearing from the Max Pack R1S. Accordinly, I'd guess the R1T's seat backs are fixed in place. I hope I'm wrong, as having more flat space and configuration options would be great.

timesinks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4, Sprinter
I recall from early conversations/informational pieces that the two smaller battery packs would have that under-seat storage area pictured here. Back then, they said the Max Pack necessitated using that space for the battery, much like the third row disappearing from the Max Pack R1S. Accordinly, I'd guess the R1T's seat backs are fixed in place. I hope I'm wrong, as having more flat space and configuration options would be great.
That's the early information I was referring to that may have changed. Since they are no longer calling the packs a specific size, and since they have walked back entirely on having a max pack that intrudes into the R1S cabin, it's possible that they have also changed the layout of the R1T max pack and no longer need the seats to be laid out that way to have the same interior layout for both large and max packs.

This is an area that seems to have had some revisions, and I would just be cautious about assuming that what we saw on the prototypes that were built over 2 years ago is what we will get in production. The storage area may well be the same, and the max pack may well use that space for the R1T, but there is sufficient uncertainty on these points to warrant saying "we don't know yet."

Sponsored

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

That's the early information I was referring to that may have changed. Since they are no longer calling the packs a specific size, and since they have walked back entirely on having a max pack that intrudes into the R1S cabin, it's possible that they have also changed the layout of the R1T max pack and no longer need the seats to be laid out that way to have the same interior layout for both large and max packs.

This is an area that seems to have had some revisions, and I would just be cautious about assuming that what we saw on the prototypes that were built over 2 years ago is what we will get in production. The storage area may well be the same, and the max pack may well use that space for the R1T, but there is sufficient uncertainty on these points to warrant saying "we don't know yet."
I hope you're right and that we do get folding seats. That may be a part of the next two press releases between now and August.