Sponsored

Does Lucid Gravity solve many of Rivian R1S issues for families?

MysticJim345

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y, Model 3
Hey Rivian community!

I've been watching some Lucid Gravity YouTube videos lately. I have a Rivian order pending and have test-driven both R1T and R1S. I am sharing my thoughts on the Lucid Gravity, specifically from the perspective of daily commuting and family hauling. Both vehicles are impressive but cater to slightly different preferences and priorities. Let me know if you agree or disagree with my analysis.

1. Charging and Range:
The Lucid Gravity has caught my attention regarding charging capabilities and range. Its advanced charging technology and impressive range offer a more practical and convenient solution for daily commuting and road-tripping. The maximum 440-mile range of Gravity with a much smaller battery is incredible, and fast charging of 200 miles in 15 minutes with 900V architecture is game-changing for a 3-row SUV. I understand that the charging network could be better for non-Teslas, but that is changing soon.

2. Third-Row Space:
The third-row space is crucial if you're looking for a family hauler. The R1S offers a third row, but from what I've gathered from my limited time with Rivians and various videos of Gravity, the Lucid Gravity seems to provide more comfortable and spacious seating in the back. This extra room could significantly improve those long family road trips.

3. Potential CarPlay Integration:
As a daily commuter, seamless integration with technology is essential. Lucid Air has Apple CarPlay integration, so I expect potential CarPlay integration in Gravity's infotainment, making it a tech-savvy choice for those who rely on their iPhones all the time for their digital lives.

4. Seat Comfort:
Comfort is paramount for a 3-row SUV and Lucid Gravity seems to excel in this department. Reports suggest that the seats in the Gravity are not only luxurious but also designed with long-term comfort in mind. Gravity seats seem better than the R1S seats, which are just ok in providing comfort.

5. Better Interior Space Utilization
Bigger dimensions of R1S do not translate into a roomier interior for some reason (maybe a long hood). It seems Lucid was able to design a better interior with more space.

In summary, while the Rivian R1S is undoubtedly geared towards adventure and off-road enthusiasts, the Lucid Gravity appears to be a more well-rounded option for those prioritizing daily commuting and family comfort. The better charging speed, extended range, spacious third-row, potential CarPlay integration, and superior seat comfort make the Gravity a strong contender in the electric SUV market, especially for those who see their vehicle as both a daily driver and a family hauler.

What are your thoughts on this comparison? I'd love to hear the community's insights and experiences with both models!
Sponsored

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
Um... pardon my ignorance but how can anyone have "experience" with the Gravity that is not scheduled to start production till late 2024?

The whole original post seem like some weird AI post..

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mach-E GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
If the charger is unable to provide 900V, the car has to convert the voltage from the max charger voltage up to 900V. That is a inefficient process and many chargers are not yet 900V capable. Eventually there will be a lot of chargers that can provide 900V, but for now it is mixed for sure. So instead of a 300 kW charge, you might get 60 kW (or less) because of the conversion.

Food for thought.

Killer95Stang

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang, Falcon, F150, Flex and Explorer
Occupation
Engineer
This is definitely some kind of AI bot. How exactly does alonger range effect daily commuting if most people plug in at home every night?

OP
OP

MysticJim345

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y, Model 3
Um... pardon my ignorance but how can anyone have "experience" with the Gravity that is not scheduled to start production till late 2024?

The whole original post seem like some weird AI post..
Pardoned. Many experienced this vehicle in person at LA autoshow and made videos.

Sponsored

c4denc3

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Occupation
DevOps Engineer
Clubs

I’m sure the Gravity is nice, but I’ve hauled 3 adults and 1 child and 3 dogs in my R1S on a bunch of trips and we never have issues with comfort, range or charging. If you want a luxury car, the Gravity is the go to. If you want an on road, to off road and adventuring beast, then the R1S is the way to go. It all depends on your needs.

OP
OP

MysticJim345

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y, Model 3
This is definitely some kind of AI bot. How exactly does alonger range effect daily commuting if most people plug in at home every night?
Many people have multiple EVs and one home charger and charging every night is either not possible or not practical.

I understand you guys love rivian and just do not like the post but please provide some more meaningful reply.

OP
OP

MysticJim345

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y, Model 3
If the charger is unable to provide 900V, the car has to convert the voltage from the max charger voltage up to 900V. That is a inefficient process and many chargers are not yet 900V capable. Eventually there will be a lot of chargers that can provide 900V, but for now it is mixed for sure. So instead of a 300 kW charge, you might get 60 kW (or less) because of the conversion.

Food for thought.

Agreed. I mentioned this and you agreed that things will change soon. There is plenty of Federal money poured into EV infrastructure.

Sponsored

Killer95Stang

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang, Falcon, F150, Flex and Explorer
Occupation
Engineer
Many people have multiple EVs and one home charger and charging every night is either not possible or not practical.

I understand you guys love rivian and just do not like the post but please provide some more meaningful reply.
What is not meaningful abvout my post? We are talking $100K to $150K cars here. If you can afford these, then you can afford a better solution for charging two cars at home.

In my opinion, besides both being EV's and having 7 seats, the two cars are different enough where they aren't really comparable. One is a luxury car, the other is not sold as one. One has true offraod capabilities, the other should probably stick to picking up kids from school. Either way, they both look great in the car line at my kids school. Also, I'm not hating on the Lucid, they are awesome and more of a luxury car that I would compare with BMW or Mercedes. Since I can't have both, I have to stick with the Rivian.

popoga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FG R1T, '18 Impreza, '10 Triumph Bonneville
Occupation
Potato Farmer
Clubs

I like what we've seen of the Gravity so far. Not sold on the styling but these things change over time (opinions, not a given car's styling).

If it comes out as promised, I can totally see getting one for around-towning and maybe some road trips. But even if so, I'll keep my R1T for the light hauling I do, and for offroading and adventure.

Lots of 'if's in there. Lucid have shown themselves to be capable of great design and execution, but not scale (yet).
Sponsored