Sponsored

Does Gear Guard record incidents when vehicle is unlocked?

KBabione

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S and other ICE
Occupation
Consultant
Here's the scenario...I have a car wash that I use regularly in the same parking lot as my primary grocery store. I washed the car today and was in the grocery store lot wiping it down and someone pulled into the spot facing me and barely stopped (only 2" away!) before hitting my unlocked parked R1S. I was on the side of the car and glared at them and they backed up to a reasonable 6-8" before getting out of their car, shrugging their shoulders at me, and heading into the store.

My question is this: If they had hit my car while parked and unlocked, would it have been recorded? Anyone know?
Sponsored

ORFynder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"Rosie" the RIVN, Rav4 Prime
Occupation
Optimistic Advocate
I don't think so as Gear Guard is designed to record people approaching your car and not other cars hitting you unless you are driving

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Almost positive it has to be locked to record incidents, people approaching. But that would be a good thing if you had to dispense some justice to mister a$$hole parking guy... :punch:

OP
OP

KBabione

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S and other ICE
Occupation
Consultant
I had never really thought about it before today - According to the Owner's Guide (yes, I read the FM), it will record if the vehicle is occupied. It seems to me that it should record any jarring incident unless the vehicle is in a service mode, regardless of lock status. Most dash cams will do that - but of course they don't know if the vehicle is locked or unlocked.

Whale Blubber

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 BMW X3 3.0si, 2021 Toyota RAV4 XLE
It is annoying though, right? Today I had a massive black Tahoe park next to me just inches away from my passenger side — despite the fact I was in the most Griswold parking spot around, and there were several unoccupied spots nearby. Of course he parked right up against the left side of his line, rather than center his oversized urban beast in the slot. (This is right after I left the local overpriced camera shop where I had found out my trusty Canon D5 Mark III body is toast and has to be replaced, ouch.) Fortunately, gear guard shows that the driver's door stopped just shy of my passenger door, like within 1/4"-1/8" or so, and I don't see any obvious marks or dents in the panel, so I think it worked out fine. But for chrissakes, why do people do that? Some folks are just totally unaware of the world around them I guess. /rant Anyway, yes, was very glad that Gear Guard recorded his exit and was able to give me a little piece of mind.

Sponsored

OP
OP

KBabione

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S and other ICE
Occupation
Consultant
Fortunately, gear guard shows that the driver's door stopped just shy of my passenger door, like within 1/4"-1/8" or so, and I don't see any obvious marks or dents in the panel, so I think it worked out fine. But for chrissakes, why do people do that? Some folks are just totally unaware of the world around them I guess.
I know - I was also parked in the far reaches of the lot when it happened. I hate to be "that guy," but I've seriously thought of carrying a pair of orange cones to put in adjacent spots when I park! Seriously though, when charging on the road (and have a choice) I always pick a charging spot next to the inevitable dead charger for a little extra space. Drives me nuts that all of the charging spaces seem to be designed for the Fiat 500e!

JamboF4

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tacoma /. 335i Coupe
Occupation
Retired airline Captain
Here's the scenario...I have a car wash that I use regularly in the same parking lot as my primary grocery store. I washed the car today and was in the grocery store lot wiping it down and someone pulled into the spot facing me and barely stopped (only 2" away!) before hitting my unlocked parked R1S. I was on the side of the car and glared at them and they backed up to a reasonable 6-8" before getting out of their car, shrugging their shoulders at me, and heading into the store.

My question is this: If they had hit my car while parked and unlocked, would it have been recorded? Anyone know?
That’s a great question..wish it was selectable….I frequently leave it unlocked

NineElectrics

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S

Mobius1

First Name
Asim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR; Ford Fusion Energi
Occupation
Technology
I had someone ding my door while I was sitting in the car, pretty sure it was unlocked as I was waiting for my son to return. No incidents were recorded or alerts sent, but I have the drive cam set up and it was running and recorded the event. If it wasn’t for that being set up, I wouldn’t have had any proof.

ElTea

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F-150
Occupation
Pipeline Inspector
Can I not use the gear guard as a dash cam or will I have to buy an additional dash cam unit
when driving?

OP
OP

KBabione

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S and other ICE
Occupation
Consultant
I think the drive cam is only on when the vehicle is occupied...It just doesn't seem that there's an option when the car is unlocked. I'll do some more testing - I wonder if the drive cam would record things if I left my phone in the car when I'm wiping it off?
Sponsored