First Name
Rudy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Occupation
MONEY
The insurance adjustor estimated $5200 today via a visual inspection of the car, but we will see what the shop thinks about cost to repair. This will be interesting to see how accurate the insurance company is.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Rudylake

First Name
Rudy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Occupation
MONEY

CrazyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura TL MT SH-AWD, CBR 600RR ABS, R1T
You can retrieve the actual crash if you connect it to computer and find video by date. Assuming you have it enabled

RivianRunner

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck DM, F-150, Suzuki DR650
Occupation
Tester
$14,000. Deer hit. Western NY. 100# deer. 7 week fix

No lights broken. No hood damage.

My guess is closer to 20k.

20240204_180908.jpg
$14,000 dollars? That's crazy!

The same impact might not have even damaged a Cybertruck, or maybe just cracked the plastic lens of the daytime running lightbar.

Sponsored

ozziegt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Quad, 15 Macan Turbo, 94 MR2 Turbo
$14,000 dollars? That's crazy!

The same impact might not have even damaged a Cybertruck, or maybe just cracked the plastic lens of the daytime running lightbar.
Yeah but then you have to be seen in public driving a Cybertruck

RivianRunner

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Tester
Yeah but then you have to be seen in public driving a Cybertruck
A number of people here seem really misinformed on the reaction of the public to the Cybertruck. Sure, a few haters don't like it, most normal people LOVE it! I would guess it's at least 90% to 10%. I know they are not just being polite because they are super-enthusiastic about the Cybertruck and treat me differently than when I'm driving any other vehicle. I've had a lot of positive conversations with complete strangers, even the types of people I don't normally kick off a conversation with.

Surprisingly, that's before they have even ridden in it or driven it, so they have no idea what a game-changer it really is. Unconventional and radical styling is one thing, people love that, but if you get them behind the wheel, that's when it hits them in the face that the styling isn't the most radical thing about it. It drives and rides like nothing else on the road. Even just giving them a ride-along is enough to make the lightbulb go off in their head.

Just a ride is enough that they realize the Cybertruck is something special in more than looks. And that's before they have even experienced the ride it has on rugged mountain roads, that are torn up by water erosion, potholes and washboards. It rides like a magic carpet over rugged terrain, as if it were nothing at all. Quiet and composed, with minimal side-to-side rocking that I've experienced in every other high-clearance vehicle I've ever driven or ridden in. The cabin just has a naturally relaxing and peaceful atmosphere, in direct contrast to the radical exterior styling.

Last edited:

Laserboy1054

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Clubs

Either one is enough to make them realize the Cybertruck is something special in more than looks. And that's before they have even experienced the ride it has on rugged mountain roads, that are torn up by water erosion, potholes and washboards. It rides like a magic carpet over rugged terrain, as if it were nothing at all. Quiet and composed, with minimal side-to-side rocking that I've experienced in every other high-clearance vehicle I've ever driven or ridden in. The cabin just has a naturally relaxing and peaceful atmosphere, in direct contrast to the radical exterior styling.
Well put, thank you! I _love_ the appearance of the Cybertruck. Tastes differ, which is a terrific thing. Even though I've decided to pull the trigger on the Rivian (in a color combination that even RJ has derided but which I like a great deal), I'm going to hang on to my Cybertruck reservation until the absolute last minute. I'm estimating this will be about a year from now. I might unload the Rivian and go with the Cybertruck at that time (no, you can't call "dibs" just yet! I don't even have the R1T yet). I dunno. But I do like the aesthetics. (One aspect of Musk that I enjoy, from a distance, is the number of science fiction references he makes. I teach a class on science fiction and have read it both as a fan and as a scholar for decades. People often miss all the sly references that he builds into his rhetoric. The Cybertruck is, in part, one such reference.)

In about a year, I'll try to remember (yeah, right) to post what decision I've made. I'm thrilled with the Rivian I'll be getting in a couple of weeks 🤞, but maybe I'll join the Dark Side and swap it for a Cybertruck.

RivianRunner

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Tester
Well put, thank you! I _love_ the appearance of the Cybertruck. Tastes differ, which is a terrific thing. Even though I've decided to pull the trigger on the Rivian (in a color combination that even RJ has derided but which I like a great deal), I'm going to hang on to my Cybertruck reservation until the absolute last minute. I'm estimating this will be about a year from now. I might unload the Rivian and go with the Cybertruck at that time (no, you can't call "dibs" just yet! I don't even have the R1T yet). I dunno. But I do like the aesthetics. (One aspect of Musk that I enjoy, from a distance, is the number of science fiction references he makes. I teach a class on science fiction and have read it both as a fan and as a scholar for decades. People often miss all the sly references that he builds into his rhetoric. The Cybertruck is, in part, one such reference.)

In about a year, I'll try to remember (yeah, right) to post what decision I've made. I'm thrilled with the Rivian I'll be getting in a couple of weeks 🤞, but maybe I'll join the Dark Side and swap it for a Cybertruck.
Cool! What's this color combination that you like even though RJ has derided it? I'm afraid I don't follow Rivian as much as the Rivian fanboys, so I miss a lot of the little day-to-day RJ gossip.

Laserboy1054

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Clubs

Cool! What's this color combination that you like even though RJ has derided it? I'm afraid I don't follow Rivian as much as the Rivian fanboys, so I miss a lot of the little day-to-day RJ gossip.
I went with "Compass Yellow" on the outside and with "Forest Edge + Warm Ash Wood" on the inside. It's been called "spinach omelette" or "mustard and relish." (As a former New Mexican, I call it "green chile cheese.") I can't find the reference, at the moment, but it is said that RJ (whom I deeply respect otherwise!) saw that combo come off the line and exclaimed "who the hell ordered that?!" Might be apocryphal, but the fact is that "Compass Yellow" (which is literally iconic for Rivian) is no longer available and the rumors point to "Forest Edge" also going away. _I_ think each color is terrific and am really happy that the combo was so unpopular that Rivian had to cut me an awesome deal to take it off their hands!

Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

I know they are not just being polite because they are super-enthusiastic about the Cybertruck and treat me differently than when I'm driving any other vehicle.
Pretty common for people to treat those with chromosomal defects nicer than average.

CrazyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura TL MT SH-AWD, CBR 600RR ABS, R1T

BHWhite

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Audi e-tron, Porsche 996 Turbo
Occupation
Small Business Owner
Hard to say without pictures. I would guess 3-4 k for lights alone, another $1500 for the fender for a start
Ha! Will be $20k, easily. Speaking from (unfortunate) experience.

sambo

First Name
Salvatore
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ford expedition
Occupation
Architect
Hit a deer this week. Front left bumper cracked, headlight smashed, light bar cracked, hood dented in, left front quarter panel bent and pushed back so drivers door won't open, and no airbags went off. Waiting to see what the repair estimate will be. Upon hitting the deer on the front left there were no sensors that went off with the R1S and no triggering of the incident camera to start recording. Seems odd that the vehicle doesn't detect a collision with a 100 lbs animal, and record it as an incident. Fortunately, I did hit the dash record button and caught the footage of the deer sliding down the road.

Any guessing on repair cost??
Did you keep the deer, most states, you hit it, it's yours. 🦌

Limestone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R!S
Sorry to hear about the mis-hap but you are going to be shocked! I had 3 L shaped dents on my driver side door all very close to each other and the local authorized Rivian repair center sent me an 8 page email with a final quote of $5600.00 dollars. I checked around a lot and found a dent repair place that specialized in aluminum Teslas and now Rivian and he did an outstanding job for $1400.00. It took 5 days but he did not have to paint.

Good luck but shop around if you are not going the insurance route!
Sponsored