Sponsored

Could use help with options!

archit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Hyundai Palisade
Long time lurker (since I placed my pre-order in Sep '21), first time poster ...

I have obviously been scouring this forum for a long time, but it all just became real as of yesterday when I checked my account during one of my morning meetings, and found a guide assigned.

Fast forward now, I am at my 8 step process, and need to finalize some decisions.

- Color
--- Really debating between Limestone, El Cap, and LA Silver ... any one else contemplating between these and/or any thoughts ?

- Wheels
--- I love the look of the 22 Light .. really don't like the look of 20s or the 21s .. but, being as new as it is, I am not able to find any info on how they'll do in snow. Being in Denver, most of the time weather is great, but sometimes we do get big ones when roads aren't cleaned. Also I have never ever gone off-roading, but would love to at least "minimal" stuff once in a blue moon ... I understand that 22s aren't ideal for that, but will they be ok if not going crazy and driving on proper paths? Are there any better compatible 22 tires that I can keep as spare for the adventurous moments?

- Underbody Off Road package
--- Given that I have no plans of going crazy off-roading, is this worth the splurge? Is there any difference in how the truck looks if there is off-road package vs not?

That's all .. really appreciate any and all insights and help so I can start wrapping things up :)

Thank you!
Sponsored

sub

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model 3
Long time lurker (since I placed my pre-order in Sep '21), first time poster ...

I have obviously been scouring this forum for a long time, but it all just became real as of yesterday when I checked my account during one of my morning meetings, and found a guide assigned.

Fast forward now, I am at my 8 step process, and need to finalize some decisions.

- Color
--- Really debating between Limestone, El Cap, and LA Silver ... any one else contemplating between these and/or any thoughts ?

- Wheels
--- I love the look of the 22 Light .. really don't like the look of 20s or the 21s .. but, being as new as it is, I am not able to find any info on how they'll do in snow. Being in Denver, most of the time weather is great, but sometimes we do get big ones when roads aren't cleaned. Also I have never ever gone off-roading, but would love to at least "minimal" stuff once in a blue moon ... I understand that 22s aren't ideal for that, but will they be ok if not going crazy and driving on proper paths? Are there any better compatible 22 tires that I can keep as spare for the adventurous moments?

--- Given that I have no plans of going crazy off-roading, is this worth the splurge? Is there any difference in how the truck looks if there is off-road package vs not?

That's all .. really appreciate any and all insights and help so I can start wrapping things up :)

Thank you!
There are other tire options, including some with 3 peak mountain snowflake rating, that would fit the 22 inch wheels. At least one youtube review shows someone driving on a fairly challenging looking trail with the stock 22 inch tires.

No there is no aesthetic component to the underbody shield option. It is not even really possible to confirm is installed without some disassembly.

There have been a lot of reports of paint quality issues on Silver. Probably/hopefully something that will be resolved long before you would get your truck, but perhaps worth considering.

raj

First Name
raj
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura
Congrats on getting your Truck soon.

Color - if LA silver is 1st or even a close 2nd to Limestone/El Cap - save the money and go with the LA Silver. I personally like the silver/white. We have it configured white.

Wheels/Tires - I live in Atlanta, so cant be of much help on wheels. We love the 22 bright as well, configured with 22. But we do some road trips and range reduction, we might go with the 21.

Underbody Protection - Unless you do real off-roading don't think it is necessary. From what I have seen from the test drive, the truck did not have any underbody protection, but looked flat and well protected without.

Just my 2 cents, you are a better judge of what you want, sure there are some experts here to help you with your wheels. Good luck.

MountainBikeDude

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 El Cap Quad Motor R1T (Selling the Xterra)
Clubs

- Color

- Wheels

Thank you!
Colour
Given two of the three you've listed are lighter, I'd go with the Limestone. It'll give the vehicle more of a pop than the standard LA Silver. That said I prefer El Cap because it provides a nice contrast to the DRL's etc.

Wheels
While all are geared a bit to Adventuring to different degrees. I personally wouldn't count on a sport oriented tire to give me good traction in snow/icy conditions. That said, I think there was a user who found some meaty Toyo tires for the sport wheels a few months ago?

Underbody Off Road Package
It's not something readily visible. It does also eat into your vehicles payload capacity, so... If you don't think you'll be hitting the trails, don't bother.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

22's were okay with a dusting of snow on the road. I definitely am planning on figuring out actual winter tires/wheels for next season though.

Sponsored

ElCapiTan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mustang
Occupation
Computer Janitor
Best thing you can probably do is take a drive to the local service center and check out some vehicles in person.

Color: Can't help I'm still having my own debate.

Wheels: I didn't like the looks of the 21's until I actually saw them in person. Now I'm quite comfortable with my choice.

Underbody: Based on your post I say no need to get the underbody.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
22” all seasons will not be very good in snow - likel on par with an all season tire on an AWD car. Buy a set of 20” wheels later and put something with a severe service rating, if not dedicated winter tires.

blturner

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Occupation
Space Pirate
Take whatever is available. I got a little picky on the wheels and it cost me a month. If both those colors are fine with you, let your guide know. If with or without skid plates is fine then take the first available.
But then if you really care about your options then say what you want and be prepared to wait.
They are not building what you ordered or have every option possible in good supply. They are building what they can as fast as possible.

SRTConvert

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, Lincoln Navigator L
One point on the wheels - the 21" and 22" are not forged. That means they are heavier and not as strong as the 20".

I'm equipping my R1T with the 20". I'll look to the aftermarket (once R1T wheels are available) for a set of rims (20" or 22") to go with a sport / street tire for warm weather. While I want the off-road / snow capability, I know the vast majority of my miles will be on public roads.

Not an inexpensive approach.

Dirty_B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Sales
Don't know if anyone mentioned it yet, but LAS suffers from tiger stripes on the hood...I'd be careful or at least mindful of that. LS would be my choice of the three...looks best with the black trim imo.
Dirty_B

Sponsored

OP
OP

archit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Hyundai Palisade
Thank you everyone!

Went to the Rivian service center to check out the trucks, and damn they look good! Definitely loved Limestone the best -- no blue tinge at all in person!

Here's another question .. if I have a VIN assigned to me, does that mean I'm all locked and loaded?My guide had mentioned that I can pick the color today, but the assignment of VIN is a new development .. right now my configuration is with El Cap, but REALLY want to switch to Limestone if I can after seeing those in person today!

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
Thank you everyone!

Went to the Rivian service center to check out the trucks, and damn they look good! Definitely loved Limestone the best -- no blue tinge at all in person!

Here's another question .. if I have a VIN assigned to me, does that mean I'm all locked and loaded?My guide had mentioned that I can pick the color today, but the assignment of VIN is a new development .. right now my configuration is with El Cap, but REALLY want to switch to Limestone if I can after seeing those in person today!
Switch to limestone then, tell your guide. Although if rivian is like any other car, a VIN assigned means it’s entered production/is built

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

Color: Limestone or El Cap, but sounds like you love Limestone. Call your guide, make the switch!

Wheels: Pics of the 20s made me go Meh, but seeing in person gave me a 🍆. They are HUGE and beautiful! Range impact is negligible, and 20 is easier to replace in the future. Also, they grab like hell in snow, off-road, and all crazy conditions I've tried so far. Next up, rock face!

Underbody: No look difference, I only got because I plan to do off-road at least once a month and don't want to worry. 2k is cheaper than any damage I may cause in the next 20 years. Our next R1T or R1S Adventure pack will be 20s and not for off-road, so we won't get it then.

OP
OP

archit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Hyundai Palisade
Just to give an update -- I asked my guide to switch the color to Limestone for me. This made the VIN drop from my account and now I'm VIN-less :(

Been trying to get an update from my guide about further process however have not heard a peep ... I started the car selling process with Driveway (since I had the VIN assigned to me earlier), and I'm afraid I might be car-less for who knows how long now ... (there was $8k difference between Trade-in value by Rivian and Driveway quote).

Really open to all other options based on what's available, as I'm not really married to the other stuff .. hoping to hear back from the guide soon so I can plan accordingly!! This anxiety is brutal and I "need a car" for my business :)

Thank you everyone for your feedback!

C.R. Rivian

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia Niro EV...R1T Launch Edition
Occupation
retired

- Color

- Wheels

Thank you!
We get some snow up here and I grew up in Chicago. The 22" is a serious all season tire. I got mine after the snow season here, but have zero concerns for next year.

I got the underbody package just in case...

Only caveat on tires: Load rating is clearly different for different tires. I haven't seen a sticker that shows the 1760lb capacity touted, but you're not going to get that from the 22" tires (they do give you almost all the range of the 21" without being a weird size, hard to replace). My load sticker:
Rivian R1T R1S Could use help with options! 1652724444647

I don't think the lower load capacity will ever be an issue for me, your concerns might be different
Sponsored