Sponsored

Configuring outside charger, any thoughts?

Ripped

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Dual Max
Occupation
-
When the R1T comes in 2023 it will likely be our 3rd Plug-in vehicle by that time.
Already charging has become a bit of a logistical issue with one vehicle that can park inside. My son's Escape Plugin EV has to park blocking garage access to charge.

I've ordered the Rivian charger (hoping it will charge all vehicles) and am planning to run electrical cables for that soon.

I'd rather not locate the charge point outside due to potential copper theft and vandalism. I was thinking of a little trap door in the side of the garage to run the cable through when charging.

Any of you have any other thoughts on that idea?
Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

When the R1T comes in 2023 it will likely be our 3rd Plug-in vehicle by that time.
Already charging has become a bit of a logistical issue with one vehicle that can park inside. My son's Escape Plugin EV has to park blocking garage access to charge.

I've ordered the Rivian charger (hoping it will charge all vehicles) and am planning to run electrical cables for that soon.

I'd rather not locate the charge point outside due to potential copper theft and vandalism. I was thinking of a little trap door in the side of the garage to run the cable through when charging.

I just run mine under the garage door. It took some effort to get it adjusted right where it'd still trip with a 2x4

timesinks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4, Sprinter
We passed the cable of our charger under the garage door at the expansion joint for a number of years. Having EVSEs actually out next to the driveway where we actually park now is a huge improvement.

I think the worries about copper theft are overrated. Car smash and grabs happen all the time in big cities, so they don't make it onto the evening news. But somebody cuts a few super charger cables off? That's novel and rare -- let's talk about it for 3 weeks' worth of news cycles.

Forager

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Structural Engineer
Clubs

I was planning to install an EVSE outdoors.

Your idea of installing a cat door in your garage door seems good if you are worried and theft or logistics of installing an EVSE outside.

Sponsored

C.R. Rivian

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia Niro EV...R1T Launch Edition
Occupation
retired

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Tesla Model Y, Zero DSR/X, '69 CJ5
Occupation
Product Management
The cost/headache of putting in your trapdoor is probably higher than replacing a component of the (or even the entire) EVSE in the unlikely event that someone vandalizes it for copper.

I'd probably put in a motion sensing camera with a light and not worry about it.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5

worried about copper theft? Do you live in chilliwack? 😬😬😬
if putting it inside, use one of those ports used for exhaust exits on overhead doors in firehalls/repair shops.

it should be fine outside though.

OP
OP
Ripped

Ripped

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Dual Max
Occupation
-
Unfortunately they take everything around here, including the garden hose :) Even with security cameras.

Rivian R1T R1S Configuring outside charger, any thoughts? 20160620_194441 (2)

jerseyff

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T; mazdaspeed3
Occupation
IT

Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Unfortunately they take everything around here, including the garden hose :) Even with security cameras.

20160620_194441 (2).jpg
They don't take everything, you still have a security camera.

timesinks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4, Sprinter
Rivian Wall Charger = 25' charging cable
25 feet is fairly standard because it's the longest they're allowed to use without providing an integrated cable management solution.

OP
OP
Ripped

Ripped

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Dual Max
Occupation
-
That's only 'cause I lock up the ladders ;-)
Sponsored