First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW eGolf
Occupation
Filmmaker
Why? They've told us many times that the configurator will provide estimated production timing based on the choices you make.

Have you heard differently?
Admittedly, I'm just saying that on a gut instinct. I don't have any specific info either way. I just think that they will notify pre-orders much later about estimated delivery date. Particularly for those of us who configure something not yet available (e.g. 180kWh).
Sponsored

JeremyMKE

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna, 2001 Yamaha Vino, 2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Riviot
Why? They've told us many times that the configurator will provide estimated production timing based on the choices you make.

Have you heard differently?
I tend to agree with @Pixelshot. Unless their back end is incredibly nimble, how are they going to rectify all the Preorder #s with the individual configs real time. The dates are going to swing as people configure and modify that configuration. I think we are gonna get ballpark estimates at best.

Last edited:

Babbuino

First Name
Manuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3
Occupation
DESIGN engineer
I tend to agree with @Pixelshot. Unless their back end is incredible nimble, how are they going to rectify all the Preorder #s with the individual configs real time. The dates are going to swing as people configure and modify that configuration. I think we are gonna get ballpark estimates at best.
I think the estimate date will be wide today and it'll get narrower as this week comes to an ending. I'm sure 99% of preorder holders that actually want to buy it will put in an order before the end of the week since that order can get modified as more option come out.

Sully151

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 Jeep JkU
Occupation
Theater arts
All right kids, I am going to the grocery store to stock up for the week. Have fun waiting on the email. Don’t take my truck.

Sponsored

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
I think the estimate date will be wide today and it'll get narrower as this week comes to an ending. I'm sure 99% of preorder holders that actually want to buy it will put in an order before the end of the week since that order can get modified as more option come out.
Hopefully we get ballpark windows from the configurator, but on the Time to Build page, it says this:

"Exact delivery dates will come next year and will be based on your original preorder date, delivery location and configuration."

I don't assume we'll get "exact delivery dates" until we lock in a config & purchase agreement.

OP
OP
Pixelshot

Pixelshot

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW eGolf
Occupation
Filmmaker
Hopefully we get ballpark windows from the configurator, but on the Time to Build page, it says this:

"Exact delivery dates will come next year and will be based on your original preorder date, delivery location and configuration."

I don't assume we'll get "exact delivery dates" until we lock in a config & purchase agreement.
But I don't think we'll have the option to "lock in" until much later. So, I'm still guessing there will be no date estimates. I hope I'm wrong.

But, if there are, then we can re-configure to see the estimated dates for each various configuration. That would be sweet.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
I suspect they know that they won't introduce certain options until after certain dates. So very much like they are saying LE production starts in June/August 2021 and other packages start production in January 2022, we might get coarse grained info that things like a certain roof option may not be available until at least June 2022 (purely fictional example here). We won't get detailed customer specific delivery dates until much later, most likely after signing on the dotted line.

Kialoa

First Name
Kialoa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911, Cayenne
You should also be in the 1600-1700 range on your "raw" order #, but the numbers started at 1000, so you're 600-700 in line.
Love the graph put together by skyote!
This chart reflects adjusted order # (place in line) based on preorder date.

1605541270275.png

Kialoa

First Name
Kialoa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911, Cayenne
This graph - and the work that went into producing it - is EXCELLENT !!

Sponsored

Cosmacelf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model X
Occupation
Software
Oh nice that chart removed the weird bumps
Goes to show how much the EV industry has matured since 2012/2013 when Tesla started shipping their Model S. Back then, I ordered a Model S in November 2012, a couple of months after the Model S started shipping, and I got a VIN number of about 5,000 when I received it in late February 2013. If you ordered a R1T or R1S in September this year, I would suspect you'll be getting a VIN quite a bit higher than 5,000 off the assembly line.

Now, Tesla did have trouble converting early pre-orders into actual orders early on due to a variety of factors (similar to Rivian, they started selling only high end versions - Rivian is also only selling certain versions, and then Tesla had a unique PR problem of the infamous NYT "Broder" article that painted the Model S in a bad light). I don't think Rivian will run into the same problem unless they make manufacturing mistakes (which is always a possibility).

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
Strategy? Order the 400 mile version in the hope that as more here prefer that configuration everyone here will do the same and that Rivian will see the foolishness of its ways in offering the 300 mi first and, therefore, reverse its position. That should work, right?

OP
OP
Pixelshot

Pixelshot

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW eGolf
Occupation
Filmmaker
Strategy? Order the 400 mile version in the hope that as more here prefer that configuration everyone here will do the same and that Rivian will see the foolishness of its ways in offering the 300 mi first and, therefore, reverse its position. That should work, right?
If only it were that easy

SleepySheepie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Raptor, FJ40, MG TF1500, Model S, Lotus
Opposite strategy for me. I hit save on a launch edition for now to hold an earlier place in line. I can always change to 400 at a later date if I decided it's worth it.
Sponsored