First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW eGolf
Occupation
Filmmaker
Only hours away from the new configurator, I'm curious about your strategy around how you'll configure.

I actually have two reservations, one R1T and one R1S. I reserved both before I knew that I could switch from one to the other upon configuration (now we know that we can). I have decided the R1T is what I want, but I will probably hold out for the 180kWh version. It seems that the 180kWh version will not be available as a configuration option. So, do I configure one of the 135kWh versions, and then wait to configure the other till a 180 is available? Or, can I configure now, then change the option later?

I emailed Rivian about this and this was their response:
"In [the configurator] you will be able to use your preorder to select either the R1S or R1T and choose which options you want on the vehicle. I know personally, I'm looking forward to the R1T in Rivian blue but if you are anything like me, you may change your mind a few times. No worries if you do, you will save your configuration but you will be able to make any changes you decide up to the point of signing the purchase agreement." (italics added)

Seems to me that the way these orders will be fulfilled is that we will all be separated into pools based on our specific configuration, then, as our exact model becomes available, we would receive it in order based on the lowest reservation number. Is that how you think it will work? And when, exactly, will we sign a purchase agreement?? (upon actual purchase next year??)
Sponsored

cohall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Theyā€™ve said youā€™ll be able to pick your battery size, so Iā€™m assuming for the R1T you can select the 400 pack tomorrow.

Iā€˜d guess your assumptions on prioritization are basically correct.

OP
OP
Pixelshot

Pixelshot

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW eGolf
Occupation
Filmmaker
Fast is my strategy hahaha.
Gotcha. But really though, would configuring anything fast actually put me ahead in line of someone who has a much lower reservation number? I have to assume not.

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

Gotcha. But really though, would configuring anything fast actually put me ahead in line of someone who has a much lower reservation number? I have to assume not.

Probably not, How ever I would say the "CERTAIN Number of LE's" have me paranoid which I am sure is 100% unjustified .

Sponsored

Pherdnut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Mazda CX-9
Probably not, How ever I would say the "CERTAIN Number of LE's" have me paranoid which I am sure is 100% unjustified .
I think that certain # is a little bit more than there are preorder holders, which is why they've said get in by the end of early access to guarantee it.

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
LE is basically just the Adventure package, don't stress about it unless you want the Launch Green. But I'm guessing they won't shut that down cold if people really want it later...

monzarottie

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, MB Sprinter 4x4, R2 Reservation
Occupation
Retired
LE is basically just the Adventure package, don't stress about it unless you want the Launch Green. But I'm guessing they won't shut that down cold if people really want it later...
I think that would piss off the folks who got the LE. Would Rivian risk that?

johnking

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW X3, R1S
I know we are a few hours away. My guess is that LE will be the first ones thru the assembly lines. They might look at the demand for the LE and then source all the parts accordingly and firm-up their Aug 2021 to Dec 2021 delivery plans [for R1S]. They will also know the non-LE demand and see if they have to speed-up delivery of these if there isn't a sizable demand for the LE. I would love everything on the 'Adventure package' but iffy about the launch green :-(.

Coast2Coast

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1981 Volvo wagn; 2006 Tacoma SR5; 2021 Toy Mirai
John, we'll know more tomorrow, but the LE is not restricted to Launch Green. Several folks have reported conversations with Rivian service reps where they were told the LE can be had in any color. However, except for white, silver and launch green, there are upcharges for the other colors.

Sponsored

johnking

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW X3, R1S
John, we'll know more tomorrow, but the LE is not restricted to Launch Green. Several folks have reported conversations with Rivian service reps where they were told the LE can be had in any color. However, except for white, silver and launch green, there are upcharges for the other colors.
Thank you Mark (@Coast2Coast ). That makes me sleep peacefully for the night ā˜ŗ. Excited for tomorrow !!

Kialoa

First Name
Kialoa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911, Cayenne
So - anyone receive the invitation email yet? Got up early expecting some ā€˜I configuredā€™ messages...

Vern Bybee

First Name
Vern
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Sierra, Cherokee, XJ...
Wanted white anyway
But good to know

Vern Bybee

First Name
Vern
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Sierra, Cherokee, XJ...
So after years of thinking the big battery was coming first
That's what I remember being told
That is what I was ready for didn't consider any other options

Now that I have thought about it
300 miles is plenty!!!!
I looked into existing charging stations and even today I can go where I want
And new stations are coming on every day
Think about OFF-ROAD
How much extra weight is the big battery
A TON
Like Literally
I might use the extra 100miles 6 days out of the ye
And on top of that not that it matters much but the 300 mile battery is the fastest best power to weight ratio

NOW I'M GLAD I AM NOT ORDERING THE BIG BATTERY
Sponsored