First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Be sure to schedule a time of day when you can do a highway drive. I stupidly scheduled my test drive for 4pm.... unfortunately I-70 was bumper to bumper. So I didn't get to see how the R1T handles at highway speeds. Bummed :-(
That’s good advice. I have the 11am slot so unless there is an accident or some other trouble we should be ok. Honestly I’m giddy to even just finally put my hands on one even if it didn’t leave the parking lot.
Sponsored

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Overpaid Computer Nerd
Clubs

I
Be sure to schedule a time of day when you can do a highway drive. I stupidly scheduled my test drive for 4pm.... unfortunately I-70 was bumper to bumper. So I didn't get to see how the R1T handles at highway speeds. Bummed :-(
Yea, I found out today that I70 eastbound is shutdown on Saturday. I think it's right in the area you'd get off to go to the Rivian service center.

Rhidan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Thought I would do a little Colorado trip report, including my first minor charging dilemma. I spent about two weeks in Steamboat at a family condo over the July 4th weekend.

I left Denver without a full charge, but had no issues with the EA station in Frisco. I was worried about the number of chargers in Frisco, but I was the only one there charging. After a quick 20 minute stop, I was on my way to Steamboat up Highway 9.

Rivian R1T R1S Colorado Checking In 6A7F1216-58DE-4BCB-A7EF-9FC69509883C

Good news is that the R1T fits (by an inch or two) in the smallish one-car condo garage. Bad news is that the electrical panel in the condo is maxed out. I’m going to need a charging solution for L2 come ski season.

I tried out the lone DCFC option in Steamboat, which has two of the 125 kW chargepoint plugs installed by the State. Drove up and there was a Model Y in one spot, but I was able to easily get the second plug going up to 80 kW. As a new EV owner, took me a bit minute to realize the problem with the guy next to me trying to charge his Model Y with a CCS plug. He had a J1772 adapter he was struggling to fit around the chargepoint CCS plug, and then he was trying to plug that into his MY, leaving the DC pins on the CCS open. I tried to explain to him that his adapter was never going to work and he needed an L2 charger. He said he had only charged at superchargers and didn’t know what “CCS” or ”J1172” meant. He complained about how difficult and unreliable the public chargers were. Took me a while to convince him to leave. I was able to charge for another 10 mins (20 minutes total) before a Mustang Mach E rolled up. He tried to activate the plug the Tesla guy had left, and both units immediately shut down. We both tried to activate a charging sessions a few more times, but nothing seemed to work. Ultimately, the only DCFC was out of service for over a week.

Steamboat has great free L2 chargers at the fairgrounds. They are very convenient if you’re going downtown. I was able to get my truck in there once. However, 2 of the 6 L2 plugs are in handicapped parking spots, and the other 4 plugs were often taken (the week the DCFC was down). I saw two launch green R1Ts charging there that week. My first time seeing other R1Ts in the wild.

Ultimately, I spent the week trickle charging on the 120v outlet in the condo garage. Not an ideal solution, but I had multiple days to leave it plugged in. I left Steamboat with 75% charge and made it back to Denver with 30% driving a little conservatively. Once I crested Eisenhower tunnel, I don’t think I lost any range going down the hill with regen.
Rivian R1T R1S Colorado Checking In 4816A68E-51BA-4475-8700-455E7196553F

Last edited:

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Overpaid Computer Nerd
Clubs

Man this thing ROCKS!

So my wife and I got to drive the R1T today. I would have liked a longer drive but I did want to split time with my wife. Single pedal driving is definitely a game changer for folks in Colorado. Definitely one of the more luxurious vehicles I’ve owned. My son got into the gear tunnel and didn’t want to leave. 😂 No seriously, he pitched a fit.

With this, my wife and I are totally sold on getting the R1T. The only bummer is that we can’t get a Launch Green (unless we luck out). Rivian Blue is still awesome but Launch Green is the color to rule them all.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Man this thing ROCKS!

So my wife and I got to drive the R1T today. I would have liked a longer drive but I did want to split time with my wife. Single pedal driving is definitely a game changer for folks in Colorado. Definitely one of the more luxurious vehicles I’ve owned. My son got into the gear tunnel and didn’t want to leave. 😂 No seriously, he pitched a fit.

With this, my wife and I are totally sold on getting the R1T. The only bummer is that we can’t get a Launch Green (unless we luck out). Rivian Blue is still awesome but Launch Green is the color to rule them all.
Congrats on finally getting your drive! Don’t show your son the frunk or he might never go in your house again:giggle:

Sponsored

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Overpaid Computer Nerd
Clubs

Congrats on finally getting your drive! Don’t show your son the frunk or he might never go in your house again:giggle:
LOL! Yea, he actually didn’t see it. he was too busy wanting to take a nap in the gear tunnel..

The J-Man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T, 2020 BMW X5 M50
After picking up my truck last week, I now understand how they are doing the registration. At pickup, I signed a power of attorney granting them the authority to register the truck on my behalf. I knew a dealership could not register a vehicle for an individual in Colorado, so the POA explains how they are getting around that. Of course, this method limits your flexibility on specialty plates, disabled veteran's, etc.

Andystroh

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

Ok this thing is too much fun. I am going to get in trouble driving this around. Looking forward to seeing some of you on the roads.
Rivian R1T R1S Colorado Checking In 5214313F-8DAF-4A8F-9CBB-5572CDEBBAF7

kneebuster

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Hyundai Tucson Plug-in Hybrid
Occupation
Professor
Is anybody else planning to be in the San Juans this coming weekend (Thurs 7/21 - Sun 7/24)?

Sponsored

TAZ

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE
Is anybody else planning to be in the San Juans this coming weekend (Thurs 7/21 - Sun 7/24)?
Potentially! We're camping this weekend for sure but watching the fire restrictions that will dictate this a bit. Plan on leaving Friday mid day and heading down, thats all we know so far. What are you thinking?

kneebuster

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Hyundai Tucson Plug-in Hybrid
Occupation
Professor
Potentially! We're camping this weekend for sure but watching the fire restrictions that will dictate this a bit. Plan on leaving Friday mid day and heading down, thats all we know so far. What are you thinking?
My plans are fluid. Leaving Thurs morn, coming home Sun. Possibilities are Crystal Mill, hike into Blue Lakes, Yankee Boy Basin, and Alpine Loop and/or Imogene (though open to others). I haven't been down that way in 7 or 8 years, so it's like it's all new to me again. I'll DM my cell if you end up heading down that way.

zefram47

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C6 Corvette GS
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

Enjoy! I'll be down there in the 4Runner Aug 22-26.

KnightNole07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE
I feel like I am the last person in Colorado without a truck. LOL. Just kidding! I know there are a lot out there with me, but I would wager not that many that ordered before me. The wait continues...

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
I feel like I am the last person in Colorado without a truck. LOL. Just kidding! I know there are a lot out there with me, but I would wager not that many that ordered before me. The wait continues...
If your order is still what shows in your signature the only thing I could guess might be slowing yours down is the 20” wheels - I know there was a shortage of those at one point, but who the hell knows. Unless you have a max pack or something? Did they invite you to the R1 shop?

I was a late 2021 order and I want a max pack so I’m playing the long game….
Sponsored