First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Odyssey became an R1T: MAGIC!
Occupation
Teacher
The blue truck that was doing most the sliding and speed are 21” tires (1:57 in video) and the range test white and gray was on 22” performance (3:36 in video). Wowza. This is incredibly comforting. Check out the website and you’ll see the snapshots of charging to see them.
Sponsored

Last edited:

mkennedy1996

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Model X, Model Y
Where are you getting the charge loss figure?
I have data on over 1,700 charges covering a 4.5 year period and 4 different Teslas. The data records the power from the charger and the amount of energy added to the battery.

The Tesla data and the EPA has never made sense to me. I know very few people that can, on average over a period of time, come close to the EPA rated energy consumption and range.

My experience is that a charge is much LESS efficient at the bottom and top of the battery. Since these tests go from 0 to full, maybe that explains the difference on the Y?

As I read the report you posted, can you explain how they get from that data to a rated Wh/mi of about 239 and a range of 326. I don't see either in the data and can't seem to see a path to those results from the data. The MPGe and EPA kWh/100 mi don't match the car sticker either???

txtravwill

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, F150
Occupation
IT Software Director
So many little tidbits of info in these stills.
Screen Shot 2021-02-26 at 5.59.36 PM.png

I assume the Ride Height button
Screen Shot 2021-02-26 at 6.00.30 PM.png

Door Locks. Driver Profiles. Alexa
Screen Shot 2021-02-26 at 6.01.36 PM.png

Their MENTALITY!
Screen Shot 2021-02-26 at 6.02.42 PM.png

Thoughts on what this icon could be?
Active wireless charging? That or hotspot.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
I know very few people that can, on average over a period of time, come close to the EPA rated energy consumption and range.
Is that specific to Tesla, or do you think all BEVs EPA estimates are impractical?

U100

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T

Sponsored

timesinks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4, Sprinter
Our Volt is rated 53 miles electric-only. If I keep the speed around 60 mph and the temps are mild (50-80 F), I can easily exceed 60 electric-only miles. But if I'm going 70 in the rain when it's under 40 degrees out? Yeah... it's about 35 miles.

In those conditions and at those speeds, you won't hit the EPA mpg targets for ICE vehicles either though.

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
I have data on over 1,700 charges covering a 4.5 year period and 4 different Teslas. The data records the power from the charger and the amount of energy added to the battery.

The Tesla data and the EPA has never made sense to me. I know very few people that can, on average over a period of time, come close to the EPA rated energy consumption and range.

My experience is that a charge is much LESS efficient at the bottom and top of the battery. Since these tests go from 0 to full, maybe that explains the difference on the Y?

As I read the report you posted, can you explain how they get from that data to a rated Wh/mi of about 239 and a range of 326. I don't see either in the data and can't seem to see a path to those results from the data. The MPGe and EPA kWh/100 mi don't match the car sticker either???
Are you using a screen data from within the Tesla itself?
These numbers are from the plug and measure the amount of energy actually fed to the car and are part of the required testing procedures performed under laboratory conditions. Tesla has performed these tests themselves and submitted them to the EPA certifying that they are correct. The numbers are available and similar for all of their models (and consistent with those reported by other manufacturers)
Who knows what Tesla is actually showing you. Energy after the inverter? Into the inverter? Into the battery? Do you have smart EVSE that records power usage to compare to that reported by the car?

As to the EPA label, you'll notice in the first few pages of the doc, they hadn't set the derived data and applied for the label in this document. The label values have a derating amount. Manufacturers can either use a standard multiplier of .7 (30% derating) or if they use the 5 cycle test and submit backup data for a different value they can do that. Claculated value in this doc for the M3 SR+ is .7055:
Rivian R1T R1S Cold Weather Testing | Progress Report | Rivian - Official Video 1614386435724

https://iaspub.epa.gov/otaqpub/display_file.jsp?docid=48708&flag=1

Model S standard range uses .7478:
Rivian R1T R1S Cold Weather Testing | Progress Report | Rivian - Official Video 1614386569887

https://iaspub.epa.gov/otaqpub/display_file.jsp?docid=48714&flag=1

The lower than standard derating plays a part in why more drivers have a hard time matching the EPA rating in their Tesla than some other brands that take the "standard deduction".
They are able to report a higher range with the same test results, and then also open up more of the top range of the battery (and tell you not to use it often). Combined these allow them to maximize the EPA label value. Not cheating or gaming the system, just taking full advantage of the regulations they way they are written.

mkennedy1996

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Model X, Model Y

Gshenderson

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla S 85D, 2019 4Runner TRD Offroad, R1T

mkennedy1996

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Model X, Model Y
Are you using a screen data from within the Tesla itself?
No. I get the power data from the EVSE meter and the energy added from the BMS.

Again, this data comes from over 1,700 charges and there is a distinct difference with the Y vs the Xs.

Not cheating or gaming the system, just taking full advantage of the regulations they way they are written.
While not cheating, it does misrepresent the actual range of the car in the real world. Other Mfgs have chosen to use a rated range (adjustment factor) that is much closer to reality. I hope Rivian does NOT take the Tesla approach to reach a 300 mile range that cannot be achieved, on average, in the real world.

Is there an entry point URL for the data you are posting so I can look up the complete data on my Teslas and keep an eye out for the Rivian data?

Sponsored

jimcgov3

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Jacksonville, Florida // Satellite Beach, FL
Vehicles
2017 Tesla Model S 75, Rivian R1T Owner
Clubs

Drive train, damping, roll stiffness, comfort valve, break regen(like you already said), ABS, FCS, and ESC. I’m wearing glasses so I can make it out a little better
Rivian R1T R1S Cold Weather Testing | Progress Report | Rivian - Official Video 452C93CE-AB98-497A-AFF0-4CA39CA23D06

I’m talking about these blurred ones. I can read those others.

tomis916

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
At 2:15 on the video, it appears that the entire rear tailgate light brightens when you hit the brakes. I thought that I saw somewhere that someone thought just the corner pieces were going to light-up when you tap the brakes based on a test truck sighting. I'm glad that's not the case.

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
No. I get the power data from the EVSE meter and the energy added from the BMS.

Again, this data comes from over 1,700 charges and there is a distinct difference with the Y vs the Xs.

While not cheating, it does misrepresent the actual range of the car in the real world. Other Mfgs have chosen to use a rated range (adjustment factor) that is much closer to reality. I hope Rivian does NOT take the Tesla approach to reach a 300 mile range that cannot be achieved, on average, in the real world.

Is there an entry point URL for the data you are posting so I can look up the complete data on my Teslas and keep an eye out for the Rivian data?
I have no explanation for what you are seeing on the Y vs your other Teslas (and what Tesla is reporting to the EPA)

URL:
https://iaspub.epa.gov/otaqpub/pubsearch.jsp?pubmodule=1

Only field not pretty self explanatory is you will want to select "Light Duty Vehicles and Trucks" in the Industry drop down. I also usually also focus on "Application" under document type.

Another resource I find useful is:
https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/download.shtml

You can pull the spreadsheet data and look at the test results there (separate tabs for ICE/EV/PHEV/Fuel Cell)

Sorry for the off topic branching. Back to your regularly scheduled programming.

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
At 2:15 on the video, it appears that the entire rear tailgate light brightens when you hit the brakes. I thought that I saw somewhere that someone thought just the corner pieces were going to light-up when you tap the brakes based on a test truck sighting. I'm glad that's not the case.
Looks like it's in "running light" mode, and doesn't appear to get brighter, to me. You do see the upper brake lights & the outside ones come on though.

Dirtman16

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, Tesla Model Y
Occupation
Engineer
So, this confirms they currently have a 400V charging system. 160KW at 400A and 200KW at 500A.

If they had 800V charging, then 400A would be 320KW and 500A would not be possible, due to the 350 KW limit. In an 800V system the maximum current supplied by the charger is 437.5A at 350KW rate.
I'm not so sure it confirms 400V. There are many CCS chargers that run at 400V, so maybe they're just testing against that possibility. There are other 800V cars that can step down to accept 400V charging.
Sponsored