Cmon Rivian uncork the Quad Motor!

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
What? I need to use the cruise control on the expressway because I find myself at 90 far too often. At 90 my R1 doesn't feel unstable or even have very loud wind noise. I don't get where you're getting "doesn't inspire confidence at that speed"
Ok, no wind noise at 90? I wanna know everyone on the line that built your truck and have them build my next one! :CWL:
Sponsored

JWreck

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S (pre-ordered, Audi RS5 Sportback
Occupation
IT
Iā€™ve got the OEM 20ā€ Pirelli ATs. There are a lot of shortcomings to this tire but high speed stability isnā€™t one of them.

One possibility is you have a tire that is slightly out of balance. If you get that checked, make sure they use a ā€˜road forceā€™ balancer. Some mom and pop shops donā€™t have those but pretty much every Discount Tire does.
Thereā€™s nothing wrong with our tires. I guess my frame of reference is different with comparisons to other cars. Even taking the safety aspect out of it, at higher speeds this thing just feels like pushing a brick through the wind. šŸ˜‚

I realize my post sounded like me saying itā€™s not good at 85, I meant at speeds closer to the limiter (yes, we have some unused private roads where Iā€™ve done that) but regardless, I just donā€™t see why anyone cares. Who is going 110 on the highway? Anything can go fast, but as itā€™s been said, suddenly coming to a stop is what gets you.

I guess Iā€™ll be ok being the outlier on this one. šŸ¤ 

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Overpaid Computer Nerd
Clubs

Ok, no wind noise at 90? I wanna know everyone on the line that built your truck and have them build my next one! :CWL:
No kiddinā€™. For me, the wind noise is pretty low at 70-75 but anything above that makes the noise go up exponentially.

I really need to try the seal hack another member posted up a while back. Iā€™ve been lazy on getting that done.

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
No kiddinā€™. For me, the wind noise is pretty low at 70-75 but anything above that makes the noise go up exponentially.

I really need to try the seal hack another member posted up a while back. Iā€™ve been lazy on getting that done.
Yeah, the wind noise keeps me from speeding. But honestly not very comfortable going over 70-75 in this heavy beast to begin with.

rbr19870445

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, 981 GT4, 3rd gen 4runner, 1st gen JDM CRV
Clubs

I think there are two limitations with the Quad motors being restricted at a certain speed. 1) Tires and with my 20 inch AT, really not an issue when I'm actually hooning it in low mode. It is a heavy vehicle and I think the tires are rated just shy of 120 mph? 2) The quad motors are off the shelf and cooled via ethylene glycol and not oil like the Rivian in house motors are. There's always a balance of performance v longevity but oil cooled motors have a significant advantage in being able to be "turnt up."

I personally find that when I'm bouncing up against the speed limiter that I'm usually in a fit of rage at someone who's being quite rude on the roads and doesn't realize what a Rivian is and/or how quick EVs truly are. That being said, it would be nice to have the option similar to a temporary "overboost" that turbocharged cars have but ultimately, my driving style probably should settle down because this truck is so incredibly capable and then some.

Sponsored

WorldComposting

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.worldcomposting.com
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Subaru Ascent
Occupation
Project Manager
Clubs

I find myself going slower or closer to the speed limit on trips rather than faster as I care more about getting distance rather than saving 10-20 minutes on a 4-6 hour drive. With some areas having few charging options I would rather make it further than have to stop at a charger I know is crowded or not working 100%.

ndmiller

First Name
Noah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Incoming
Occupation
Retailler
Clubs

The limitation is clearly in place because of this thread.:angry:

maddave12

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Volvo XC90, Subaru Outback
Occupation
Selfless supporter of the economy
Clubs

If we're tweaking the limits, I'd rather get 10% reduction in the 0-60 time, personally. The CT Beast numbers have me thoroughly depressed. šŸ˜” Plus, I personally don't trust the Pirelli ATs at anything over 100 mph.

Sponsored

Lawrence-of-Blaine

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A6, GMC Envoy, Nissan 350Z
Occupation
Photographer/Artist
Clubs

If I want to drive 110, Iā€™ll take my Jaguar XK out. Wait, itā€™s being stored for the winter. Crap!

Rivian R1T R1S Cmon Rivian uncork the Quad Motor! IMG_7080

lefkonj

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A7/Q3 R1S ordered
Clubs

Cruising at 80-85 is perfect in my R1S. I can never imagine needing more than 100, let alone 110. Who cares about top speed, where are you doing this?

JWreck

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S (pre-ordered, Audi RS5 Sportback
Occupation
IT
Cruising at 80-85 is perfect in my R1S. I can never imagine needing more than 100, let alone 110. Who cares about top speed, where are you doing this?
Everyone who thinks ā€œEVā€ means ā€œrace carā€. šŸ‘Øā€šŸš’ Iā€™ve had my flame suit on this morning already.

ETA: also includes most manufacturers who seem to only want to measure with 0-60.

lefkonj

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A7/Q3 R1S ordered
Clubs

Everyone who thinks ā€œEVā€ means ā€œrace carā€. šŸ‘Øā€šŸš’ Iā€™ve had my flame suit on this morning already.

ETA: also includes most manufacturers who seem to only want to measure with 0-60.
I have an I4M50 as well. I would never go above 90, sit with cruise set to 80-85 all the time. Maybe it's my age or self confidence but I don't need a top speed above the CT. At least my vehicle doesn't look like a blind 4th grader drew it.
Sponsored