Sponsored

Climate control in Rivian App is grayed out?

brancky3

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 CY R1T, 21 MachE GT
Occupation
IT
Try a software reboot in the vehicle, it worked for me. Hold the far left button and the far right button on the steering wheel until it resets, it will tell you to keep holding, etc

EVnewb

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Sienna, Tesla MYP, R1T
Try a software reboot in the vehicle, it worked for me. Hold the far left button and the far right button on the steering wheel until it resets, it will tell you to keep holding, etc
I concur. Had the same issue and did a soft reset on the truck. Prior to that I tried deleting and reinstalling the app hoping that would fix it, but it was still greyed out. Figured I would try doing the truck reboot. The app button was still greyed out right afterwards, but noticed it had started working while I was messing with the app about an hour after that. Climate on the app has been working fine now since I did the soft reset yesterday morning.

MadMac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep Grand Cherokee, Tesla Model 3
Just something I notice with the Tesla. If it just barely too far away for a Wi-Fi connection to work, but close enough for it to keep trying. I’ll also see things like this. Not saying that’s what it is but something to check.
I second this— same thing happens w my Tesla (esp when it comes to turning on climate).

technerd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Bronco, 2022 R1T, 2021 Model 3
Clubs

I concur. Had the same issue and did a soft reset on the truck. Prior to that I tried deleting and reinstalling the app hoping that would fix it, but it was still greyed out. Figured I would try doing the truck reboot. The app button was still greyed out right afterwards, but noticed it had started working while I was messing with the app about an hour after that. Climate on the app has been working fine now since I did the soft reset yesterday morning.
Same thing for me, so this appears to be the fix. I did a full reset (left steering wheel button and hazard button) because I was having charging issues, and next time I went into the app I could control climate.

Sponsored

technerd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Bronco, 2022 R1T, 2021 Model 3
Clubs

Rivuylkill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
A large portion of the time I cannot wake the car, it just times out. (Android 13/Pixel 5, up to date Rivian app)
I get this a lot too where I just can't wake it up until I get physically near it, which defeats the point of trying to pre-condition most of the time. Sometimes it will just never work until I get near, sometimes it might work on the 4th-5th time of hitting the 'wake vehicle' button, other times maybe the second/third. It never really works first time if the car is asleep and not charging, and it's not consistent to a specific area with poor cell service/etc.

Minor gripe but is kind of disappointing when it's cold out. I'm kind of hoping it gets fixed some in an OTA or at least they add a precondition schedule by location/time.

Lil'Dave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S LE
Occupation
Product Support
I had this issue with 2023 R1S. Reboot of the R1S and now it's working.

Sponsored

Foobar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Model 3P, Eva Ribelle
Occupation
IT Exec
Just another datapoint - same thing happened to my R1T at delivery. A computer reset and it showed up properly.

md2023

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru
Clubs

Having the same/related issue. Climate geyed out. When I tap on "Turn on" a little yellow box appears stating 'update in progress'. As far as I can tell, no update is in progress.

Skyball

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Self
Having the same/related issue. Climate geyed out. When I tap on "Turn on" a little yellow box appears stating 'update in progress'. As far as I can tell, no update is in progress.
Same issue for R1S, here's what fixed it for me:

1. Logout and delete app from phone
2. Hard reset the vehicle - left steering button + hazard button for 15+ seconds
3. Soft reset phone (turn it off, then on again)
4. Install rivian app; login
5. Lock vehicle and let it sleep for 30 mins

A hard reset of the vehicle would probably be sufficient, but this is what support instructed me to do and it worked for me.

md2023

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru
Clubs

Same issue for R1S, here's what fixed it for me:

1. Logout and delete app from phone
2. Hard reset the vehicle - left steering button + hazard button for 15+ seconds
3. Soft reset phone (turn it off, then on again)
4. Install rivian app; login
5. Lock vehicle and let it sleep for 30 mins

A hard reset of the vehicle would probably be sufficient, but this is what support instructed me to do and it worked for me.
Thanks, I appreciate it and will give it a try.

Last edited:

Tyleem111

First Name
Tylee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, 2022 Ford Lightning, Daiharsu Mira, Ranger
Clubs

I was experiencing the same issue, grayed out “turn on” button. Here is what I did to solve the issue. Note: on iPhone

1. soft reset Rivian (holding far left and far right steering wheel buttons)
2. Logout of phone app
3. Delete app (including app data)
4. Turn phone off and back on
5. Download Rivian app
6. Login to Rivian app
7. Reset up phone as a key

After those steps I can now control climate from the app.
Rivian R1T R1S Climate control in Rivian App is grayed out? IMG_1466
Sponsored