Sponsored

Charging in hot climates

rpmtexas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi Q5 Diesel with Lift Kit, Jeep Grand Cherokee
Is anyone else having trouble charging in hot climates (daytime temps over 100F)? My vehicle does not like charging when it’s hot out. And this is a BIG PROBLEM in Texas since it’s hot 3 months a year and the air is on fire 4 months a year. I have observed extreme throttling of charging speed, including all the way to zero, when it’s hot out. If this is normal behavior in hot climates, it means road trips in those areas are a no go as you won’t be able to charge. This is what is currently happening at 102 outside. Added 9 miles in an hour.

Rivian R1T R1S Charging in hot climates IMG_6474
Sponsored

shap

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 45e, R1T
Are you talking about DCFC or L2? I am in Austin, TX, my garage has excellent insulation, but it also means that while something is hot inside this heat will stay inside...

So my garage is about 100 degrees+, and charging L2 40A works fine. I do not see any slowdown in energy that the car pulls from the charger. I see that the charging speed may fall a bit when battery cooling is engaged (for about 2-3 min).

TexasCrane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep, Subaru, R1T
My 48amp rivian wall charger is outside in my driveway. I haven’t had any throttling in the hot weather here in Austin this summer.

Cactus

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Feb 2014 Tesla Model S, June 2023 R1S
Occupation
Professor
Clubs

Phx would be a good test, but I’m not charging bc I’m not driving bc the AC is so crappy, I’d rather drive another car. :(

TipSpa

First Name
Tip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Is anyone else having trouble charging in hot climates (daytime temps over 100F)? My vehicle does not like charging when it’s hot out. And this is a BIG PROBLEM in Texas since it’s hot 3 months a year and the air is on fire 4 months a year. I have observed extreme throttling of charging speed, including all the way to zero, when it’s hot out. If this is normal behavior in hot climates, it means road trips in those areas are a no go as you won’t be able to charge. This is what is currently happening at 102 outside. Added 9 miles in an hour.

IMG_6474.png
I’m in Houston, and my charger has been doing the same thing.

Sponsored

Sevn86

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2025 BMW X5 M Sport
Occupation
Sales
I’m just outside of Houston and my charger hasn’t had any issues with the heat. I did have to reset it about a month ago as it was going all over the place but I don’t think that was due to the heat. As soon as I reset the breaker and powered it back on, It’s works fine.

shap

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 45e, R1T
Phx would be a good test, but I’m not charging bc I’m not driving bc the AC is so crappy, I’d rather drive another car. :(
Do you mean you can not charge L2 at home because it is so slow? What charger do you have?

Cactus

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Feb 2014 Tesla Model S, June 2023 R1S
Occupation
Professor
Clubs

Do you mean you can not charge L2 at home because it is so slow? What charger do you have?
No charging worked fine last week in 100F garage, but the AC doesnt Cool properly, so I’m not even driving my new R1S! And if I’m not driving it, there’s no reason to charge it.

shap

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 45e, R1T
No charging worked fine last week in 100F garage, but the AC doesnt Cool properly, so I’m not even driving my new R1S! And if I’m not driving it, there’s no reason to charge it.
Got it - this is sucks. Not sure if this helps, I had the same issue (started when we got 100+ here )… SC fixed AC by removing 50g of gas (it was overloaded).

OP
OP

rpmtexas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi Q5 Diesel with Lift Kit, Jeep Grand Cherokee
Are you talking about DCFC or L2? I am in Austin, TX, my garage has excellent insulation, but it also means that while something is hot inside this heat will stay inside...

So my garage is about 100 degrees+, and charging L2 40A works fine. I do not see any slowdown in energy that the car pulls from the charger. I see that the charging speed may fall a bit when battery cooling is engaged (for about 2-3 min).
In my post I kinda talked about both. Haven’t used DC Fast charger yet. The problem is occurring using the L2 portable charger. Nothing is getting hot on the charging side. The vehicle just seems to be throttling itself way down.
This is using the Rivian portable charger.

Sponsored

shap

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 45e, R1T
I would try another charger, seems odd and not sure it is related to the hot weather.

LL75

First Name
lance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3

IMG_6474.png
This is what i have been noticed since the last update, that it reduced the charging rate. I saw it did it two times. I did a hard reset and it is back to normal. At first, I thought is because of the weather, but Dallas has been 100 plus for more than a month now.

MrMetlHed

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep 4xe, R1T (Order 2/20/22, from Shop 2/11/23)
Occupation
Journalist @ Reuters
I'm in Phoenix (so--hot) on a 40amp charger and don't see anything like this. All the fans will kick up in my garage (which isn't all that insulated, so probably still at least 100 degrees most of the time) but it's still pulling close to 20 miles an hour or so. I'd have to double check, but it's basically the max the circuit is capable of.

Cosmacelf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model X
Occupation
Software
In my post I kinda talked about both. Haven’t used DC Fast charger yet. The problem is occurring using the L2 portable charger. Nothing is getting hot on the charging side. The vehicle just seems to be throttling itself way down.

This is using the Rivian portable charger.
We need even more info. You’re using the portable charger with what adapter? The 120V one or the 240V one? Plugged into what kind of receptacle and breaker?

shrink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S (x2); '22 R1T; '14 Jeep Cherokee
Clubs

No problems at all charging all this nasty summer in Phoenix. My Rivians are outside under a carport. Been charging my R1T at 240V and 48 amps all summer on an old school Tesla branded Clipper Creek CS-70 with a J1772 plug.

The more recent R1S addition is currently charging @ 240V on a shared 40 amps with a Model 3 on a Grizzle-E Duo.
Sponsored