Sponsored

CCS question...

Rockstar2020

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T pre-order, Ford Expedition, Dodge Hellcat
So I have experience with charging a Tesla and a Nissan Leaf at home. Of course Tesla has its own plug and the Leaf uses the J Plug. I have a 220V 50 amp NEMA 14-50 receptacle in my garage. When I sold my leaf I was able to continue to use that outlet to plug my Tesla mobile connector into to get L2 charging. Will I still be able to use that receptacle for the Rivian CCS charger that will come with the truck? In simple words can I just plug whatever charging cord that comes with the Rivian into my 50 amp outlet and have L2 charging?
Sponsored

Last edited:

azjohnny

First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S 100D Toyota Tundra
Yes. Rivian uses CCS...the J-1772 plug. I have the WattZilla Wall Wattz 48A Level 2. It uses a NEMA 14-50 receptacle.
I have been thinking about a Wattzilla product. How do you like your Wall Wattz? I have been thinking about the Black Mamba

jimcgov3

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Jacksonville, Florida // Satellite Beach, FL
Vehicles
2017 Tesla Model S 75, Rivian R1T Owner
Clubs

I have been thinking about a Wattzilla product. How do you like your Wall Wattz? I have been thinking about the Black Mamba
I really like it. My current use case is a 2016 Chevy SparkEV so it is way overkill. I bought it specifically to charge the R1T at it's max rate based off the 11kW onboard charger. They are no-frills units with only 1 moving part. No smarts, Bluetooth or Wi-Fi. I rely on what settings the Spark has to charge the car when I need the car to charge. It is an extremely well built product. It's footprint on the wall in my garage is minimal. I corresponded with Rich of Rich Rebuilds who said to talk to Frank. He was awesome and answered every question I had. I was bouncing back and forth between that and the ClipperCreek. The plastic housing ended up being the big negative for me on their unit, especially with it being $50 more than the Wall Wattz.

VinsRiv

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Yes. Rivian uses CCS...the J-1772 plug. I have the WattZilla Wall Wattz 48A Level 2. It uses a NEMA 14-50 receptacle.
Hi jimcgov3, I would like to know how you like the Wattz I’ll & why you chose that one compared to others. Thanks. Sorry just realized you pretty much answered that

Sponsored

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
@jimcgov3 ,
Just curious if you looked at the JuiceBox Pro options. They appear to get rave reviews, seem solidly built (and outdoor certified), and have some of the tech features that I believe I want.

I understand KISS line of thinking about the tech bells & whistles, and interested to see if that was even one you considered.

VinsRiv

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee
@jimcgov3 ,
Just curious if you looked at the JuiceBox Pro options. They appear to get rave reviews, seem solidly built (and outdoor certified), and have some of the tech features that I believe I want.

I understand KISS line of thinking about the tech bells & whistles, and interested to see if that was even one you considered.
I really didn’t look into juice box yet, I have looked into ClipperCreek,i was pretty much sold on it but happen to like the Wattz for the size it is smaller than ClipperCreek. I am in early stages for this cause i am interested in Eva’s but looking for a larger vehicle than what’s out there. Rivian seems the one to fit the bill here just waiting to see how they come along, thanks for your thoughts

jimcgov3

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

@VinsRiv
I really like the Wall Wattz. It's solid construction, no frills EVSE.

@skyote
I only considered the ClipperCreek and the WattZilla. Both charge at 48A. Didn't see the need to go to 18kW if there Rivian only goes to 11kW. If Rivian decides to upgrade the onboard to 17.2 or 22kW then I'm out of luck anyways... I'd have to upgrade my service, panel, and so on. I'm definitely a smart home dork. I have Samsung SmartThings, Nests products, switches, outlets, Alexas in every room in the house, Sonos throughout...but this was one product I felt that I didn't need to be smart as the vehicle has all the smarts I need. Heck, even my Chevy SparkEV has enough smarts to know when I want it to charge.

Sorry for the long-winded answer.

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I had been looking at the 40A/10kw Juicebox for 550.

I also don't know what to expect in regard to the Rivian smarts around their onboard charger. Apparently they have some very good battery management IP, so I'm looking forward to seeing how that is applied in their vehicles & the ownership experience.

jimcgov3

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

@skyote ... I'm sure if it's anything like Tesla, you can charge up to a certain percentage nightly... Leave it plugged in all day and it will only charge when you allow it to charge off either an app setting or in the infotainment system.

Sponsored

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
In simple words can I just plug whatever charging cord that comes with the Rivian into my 50 amp outlet and have L2 charging?
In simple words: I don't know and won't until I see what cord(s) comes with the Rivian. It is reasonable to assume that they will follow Tesla's example and supply some sort of charging interface to keep in the car/truck and it is also reasonable to assume that it will come with at least a NEMA 5-15P and probably a 14-50P cord or perhaps a 14-30P but we'll have to wait to get a definite answer.

As has been pointed out already in this thread there are several manufacturers of EV chargers that have the CCS connector and which plug into a 14-50R so you will be able to use that outlet one way or another. But note that a 14-50R can be installed on a 40A or 50A circuit. Derated as required that means a draw of, respectively, 32 or 40 amps for charging power of or 7.68 or 9.6 kW whilst the R1S and R1T the chargers are capable of 11.5 kW and are, thus, usable on circuits up to 60A. It thus seems that Rivian may be planning to offer something like the Tesla HPWC which, if programmable as is the HPWC (internal rotary switch), could be programmed for 32 or 40 A, fitted with a 14-50P and plugged into the existing outlet. If full vehicle charger capacity is wanted the wiring and breaker will have to be beefed up to 60A. This would probably be hard wired but could be, equipped with a 14-60P cord set, plugged into a 14-60R.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE Retired
This is an old thread but as it contains outdated info I thought I'd better point out that there are no plug in chargers with 14-60P anymore. 14-50P is the max under newer code.

There is actually (AFAIK) one 14-60P unit still available but it is of questionable "legality" in the US.

DB-EV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1s
So I have experience with charging a Tesla and a Nissan Leaf at home. Of course Tesla has its own plug and the Leaf uses the J Plug. I have a 220V 50 amp NEMA 14-50 receptacle in my garage. When I sold my leaf I was able to continue to use that outlet to plug my Tesla mobile connector into to get L2 charging. Will I still be able to use that receptacle for the Rivian CCS charger that will come with the truck? In simple words can I just plug whatever charging cord that comes with the Rivian into my 50 amp outlet and have L2 charging?
Simply put, it depends, but without more info, no, you would likely not have Level 2 charger.

--Detail:

If you purchase what we all think of as a home 'charger' but the real nerds call EVSE (EV Service Equipment) like a Chargepoint Home or Juicebox, then you would have L2 charger at home at 40A, which comes to about 9.6 kw per hour, which is close to a fill up overnight. The 50 receptacle suggests it is on a 50A breaker, which will draw the power out at 40A. That is 9.6 kw on a 240; divide 135kw / 9.6 and you get a full charge in the range of 13 hours. L2 charging.

You would not have to install other than plugin and attach to your wall. Note that many utilities will give you a rebate that would cover almost all your cost. I think a L2 charger at home would be like 200 after rebate.

Why do I come to this conclusion? One of the Q/A on Rivian suggests the included chord (like the Tesla included chord) is at lower amperage, more like leaf rate.

Hope this helps.

Do Rivian vehicles come with any charge cables?
Yes, all Rivian vehicles come standard with a portable charge cable that's designed to plug into typical household outlets. A wall-mounted station will also be available to purchase for an even quicker charge at home.

Learn more about charging the R1T and the R1S.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE Retired
Simply put, it depends, but without more info, no, you would likely not have Level 2 charger.
No - not really. OP has a 14-50R receptacle on a 50 A circuit. As was made clear in the responses at the time of the OP he will be able to plug in his Rivian charger and/or any EVSE made by Rivian or Watzilla or anyone else (except Tesla - they don't offer plug-in HPWC any more) into this outlet. This is Level 2 charging.

Why do I come to this conclusion? One of the Q/A on Rivian suggests the included chord (like the Tesla included chord) is at lower amperage, more like leaf rate.
This has probably been covered in the earlier responses but it is, IMO, very unlikely that Rivian would give its buyers a charger for their 400-500 Wh/mi that is anything less than the maximum reasonable for something that is carried in the truck. The max. the car can take is 11.52 kW (48 A @ 240V) But that would require a 60 A circuit and as I mentioned in my post 60A plugin EVSE are not allowed under code. So that means the biggest adapter Rivian will supply (I hope with the truck - you have to buy it from Tesla though they used to supply it standard) is a 14-50R. This is because 14-50R are all over the place. But the 14-50R is exceptional in terms of the code in that it is legal to install it on a 40 A circuit. While it is OK to take 40A from a 14-50R on A 50A breaker if it is on a 40 A breaker you can only take 32A. Tesla's lawyers told them to drop the maximum current their UMC (Universal Mobile Connector) will authorize to 32 A as there is no way for it to know, when plugged into a 14-50R whether that's on a 40A or 50A circuit. Rivian has lawyers too. Thus, with the mobile connector most likely to be furnished by Rivian you will only be able to charge at 7680 W which means a rate of about 15 miles per hour. For faster L2 rates (up to maybe 23 miles per hour people will have to go to 60A EVSE which cannot be plugged in to any receptacle).

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I say install a NEMA 14-50 & pick a plug in EVSE. The mileage per hour of charge difference betwwen that & maximum with hardwired EVSE on a 60A circuit is only around 4 miles for a Rivian.
Sponsored