CCS charging not working? ***RESOLVED 7-27!!!***

kwmiller

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Just found this thread. I'm experiencing the following for months now, still with no resolution after 2 service center appointments:
1. Unreliable and intermittent DC fast charging results on chargers that other vehicles, including Rivians, either just finished charging on, or jumped on after I had failures. This includes RAN chargers. I tried Quartzite AZ, Sacramento CA and Manteca CA, all with no success. Full resets and proper sleep cycles don't fix the issue.
2. I often get connection and charging starts, but then anywhere from 1-5 minutes the connection fails. This has happened on EA, EVgo, and RAN.
3. No issues with level 2 charging. Only DC fast charging.

For those who had the MCM/DC Control Module (or whatever it is) replaced, did that conclusively solve the issue? I'm dying for answers.

I've had 3 road trips ruined now because of this and I've lost all confidence in being able to do road trips. After the first one, the magnetic lock was replaced and the problem seemed to go away with 3-4 successful DC charging sessions. But, the next road trip the problem returned. Next service appointment concluded that there was nothing wrong with the truck after diagnostics and they couldn't replicate the issue at the local EA station (apparently they don't have a DC charger at the SC). Got it back, did several successful DC sessions in town to build some confidence. Started thinking that maybe it was the charging stations that were faulty, even though other vehicles had no problems. So, I embarked on the longest road trip yet from AZ to Yosemite. Immediately had problems at the Quartzite RAN. Finally, the last charger I tried connected and gave me a charge. Got all the way to Sacramento to visit my brother, and then everything fell apart. I tried every RAN charger with no success. Meanwhile other R1Ts rolled in and plugged right in with no issues. I had the leave the trick on the level 2 chargers overnight after trying an EVgo and EA station with no success (again with other vehicles charging with no issues). I had to cut my trip short and add an extra stay along the way home to level 2 charge overnight.

It is definitely the truck, and another appointment is on the books. Unfortunately, it's not until mid-July and I have another road trip planned before then that I now have no vehicle for. This is so incredibly frustrating and disappointing.

Again, hoping that others who had this issue and got the module replaced could validate that the repair definitively solved the problem (@IRun, n8rivian and Joneholland). That way I can take this information to the service center and pray that they look into that as a cause.

Thanks!
Sponsored

OP
OP

IRun

First Name
Julian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Adventure, Model 3
Occupation
Analyst
Clubs

Just found this thread. I'm experiencing the following for months now, still with no resolution after 2 service center appointments:
1. Unreliable and intermittent DC fast charging results on chargers that other vehicles, including Rivians, either just finished charging on, or jumped on after I had failures. This includes RAN chargers. I tried Quartzite AZ, Sacramento CA and Manteca CA, all with no success. Full resets and proper sleep cycles don't fix the issue.
2. I often get connection and charging starts, but then anywhere from 1-5 minutes the connection fails. This has happened on EA, EVgo, and RAN.

For those who had the MCM/DC Control Module (or whatever it is) replaced, did that conclusively solve the issue? I'm dying for answers.

I've had 3 road trips ruined now because of this and I've lost all confidence in being able to do road trips. After the first one, the magnetic lock was replaced and the problem seemed to go away with 3-4 successful DC charging sessions. But, the next road trip the problem returned. Next service appointment concluded that there was nothing wrong with the truck after diagnostics and they couldn't replicate the issue at the local EA station (apparently they don't have a DC charger at the SC). Got it back, did several successful DC sessions in town to build some confidence. Started thinking that maybe it was the charging stations that were faulty, even though other vehicles had no problems. So, I embarked on the longest road trip yet from AZ to Yosemite. Immediately had problems at the Quartzite RAN. Finally, the last charger I tried connected and gave me a charge. Got all the way to Sacramento to visit my brother, and then everything fell apart. I tried every RAN charger with no success. Meanwhile other R1Ts rolled in and plugged right in with no issues. I had the leave the trick on the level 2 chargers overnight after trying an EVgo and EA station with no success (again with other vehicles charging with no issues). I had to cut my trip short and add an extra stay along the way home to level 2 charge overnight.

It is definitely the truck, and another appointment is on the books. Unfortunately, it's not until mid-July and I have another road trip planned before then that I now have no vehicle for. This is so incredibly frustrating and disappointing.

Again, hoping that others who had this issue and got the module replaced could validate that the repair definitively solved the problem (@IRun, n8rivian and Joneholland). That way I can take this information to the service center and pray that they look into that as a cause.

Thanks!
Sent a PM
Here is another thread that has some further details including a similar service ticket for the Central Gateway Module
https://www.rivianforums.com/forum/...ion-update-module-replaced-issue-fixed.10916/

Adventusaurus

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Tesla Y, 92 Miata
Occupation
Software
I spoke too soon on mine being resolved. It seems to be temperature related. When I try to DC fast charge and the weather is warm (95F today), the same charger trips out which works when its cooler (60F). Symptoms are the same as yours @kwmiller. Maybe mine is the MCM/DC control module too. I already had one service center visit and they said the truck is fine - it clearly isn’t. On a chat with Rivian today the Rivian rep agreed and is going to try to schedule me in for another service appointment.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired

Thanks!
I did find something interesting in Palm Desert, CA yesterday. It was ~116 degrees. Charge handles were crazy hot. I was plugged into one charger, started charging for a few minutes, then saw a message on the screen charge rate limited by charger right before it errored out. The charger next to me was an Ioniq 5 and seemed to charge ok, when he left I tried that charger but could not get it to initiate on my R1S. A second Ioniq 5 pulled up so I had them try and it was able to charge.

My conclusion is (not enough data to be a true conclusion), that when temperatures are in the stupid hot category, the 800 volt vehicles seem to charge better as they do not run as hot when charging.

By the way, inside my garage was 103 last night and Rivian reduced the level 2 charge to 7kW. Might be time to invest in a mini split AC or swamp cooler for this garage.

Sponsored

kwmiller

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Well, after 3 weeks at the service center they finally came to the conclusion to replace the CGM (Central Gateway Module). I truly hope this conclusively fixes the issue. Not being able to road trip with confidence has been a huge stress. I'll post an update after I spend some time at various chargers.

Adventusaurus

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Tesla Y, 92 Miata
Occupation
Software
Well, after 3 weeks at the service center they finally came to the conclusion to replace the CGM (Central Gateway Module). I truly hope this conclusively fixes the issue. Not being able to road trip with confidence has been a huge stress. I'll post an update after I spend some time at various chargers.
Hope this fixes it for you, and hope they can fix mine likewise when it goes in again mid-August. I totally get the stress - got stuck overnight on one trip and has shaken my confidence to take a trip in the R1T for now.

Adventusaurus

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Tesla Y, 92 Miata
Occupation
Software
Mine has also had the CGM (Central Gateway Module) replaced. They were unable to replicate the issue on their CCS charger at the service center, but taking screenshots of all the failed sessions and a screenshot of the charger indicating a vehicle error had them conclude this was the issue.

I’ve only tried a CCS session at an ambient temp of 68F so far. Will try some more when its hotter again, but hoping my truck is gonna DC charge reliably again now.

kwmiller

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Update on the fix to replace the CGM: been on 4 road trips now with zero issues on 12 total DC fast charging sessions. I finally feel confident the problem was fixed by replacing that part. If you have a similar issue, I highly recommend pointing your service center to these forum posts. That's what I did and in the end they thanked me for it.

Lilthumper

First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 S Plaid 23 Y Performance 23 R1T Quad
Haven't kept up with this post but mine was resolved as well with CGM replacement. DC fast charging unavailable, AC home charging unavailable. Charger unplugged, reinstall and try again. New CGM at 10500 miles fixed everything. Thanks for the post OP.

Adventusaurus

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Tesla Y, 92 Miata
Occupation
Software
Yep I am lots of CCS charge sessions on many brands/networks and all temperatures now, post GCM replacement. No more charging issues.
Sponsored