Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

GG sent a notification to my phone one time when it went off with my dog inside. I don't know what caused it, as I've lever her in while picking up food a few times, and she didn't seem to be doing anything (I could see her).

In that instance lights were flashing (IIRC), but it did *not* make any noises. Which I find very confusing.
Same here. I got a gear guard alert one time, I was parked at a mall in Vancouver and my dog in the car but hasn't happened again since.
Sponsored

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Tesla Model Y, Zero DSR/X, '69 CJ5
Occupation
Product Management
I've been the victim of multiple breakins and many other types of property crime, so I get the frustration here. And there's a non trivial chance you're totally right.

But - to the "piece of shit" and "a shame nothing will happen" crowd -

1. Nobody in this video committed a crime. There was no attempt at forced entry, no actual trespass, just poking at a novel vehicle.
  2. Poking a stranger's car is rude AF but honestly most of what I see in the video looked a lot more like "check out this wild truck, I wonder how these handles work" than anything else. They weren't peering in windows, made no attempt to remove the ski racks or see if they were locked, etc.
  3. In my experience actual car prowl criminals smash and grab and are gone in seconds.
Criminals suck and I'm not here to defend property crime. But we don't need to pre-emptively convict every dumb kid either.

The fact that "nothing will happen" is a good thing in a criminal justice system where we punish people who are proven to actually commit crimes, not people who stand too close to our too-fancy trucks.

Fuck yeah! Lock up anyone who looks at you funny! "Innocent until proven guilty" is for chumps! Bring on PreCrime!

Last edited:

Tahoe Man

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Volt
This shit happens all the time and has for decades. It's just that cameras are catching it in the act now.

R1Sky Business

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

I've been the victim of multiple breakins and many other types of property crime, so I get the frustration here. And there's a non trivial chance you're totally right.

1. Nobody in this video committed a crime. There was no attempt at forced entry, no actual trespass, just poking at a novel vehicle.
  2. Poking a stranger's car is rude AF but honestly most of what I see in the video looked a lot more like "check out this wild truck, I wonder how these handles work" than anything else. They weren't peering in windows, made no attempt to remove the ski racks or see if they were locked, etc.
  3. In my experience actual car prowl criminals smash and grab and are gone in seconds.
Criminals suck and I'm not here to defend property crime. But we don't need to pre-emptively convict every dumb kid either.

The fact that "nothing will happen" is a good thing in a criminal justice system where we punish people who are proven to actually commit crimes, not people who stand too close to our too-fancy trucks.
Come on now, so if this kid managed to open that wild cool looking door handle, I'm sure he would've just closed the door and walked away.... šŸ˜‰

Deleted member 9927

The only thing preventing a crime is that the door was locked. If the door had opened than he would be trespassing. His intent is unknown, but his actions led to trespass. I might take a look at an interesting car, but I don't test the door handles and locks on the bars in the first 30 seconds... Way too generous a view, even to my very liberal brain.

Sponsored

Runs_4_beer

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i3, Audi Q7, F350
When I took my truck to get winter tires installed, it automatically locked in the Discount Tire shop bay. The alarm was trigger when they started jacking up my truck and the Rivian App immediately notified me on my phone that the alarm was going off. So apparently it will notify you if the alarm goes off.
Yea, a valet set off my alarm when getting my R1T and I got a notification on my phone the alarm was set off. But there was nothing more I could do. I wish it would send a photo or something like my Nest camera does.

hungrycaterpillar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Unfortunately only the primary owner is alerted when the alarm goes off.

Really stupid that one of the co-owners is a second class citizen.

kizamybute'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
This one, that one and the other one.
Clubs

Those types of people really piss me off. Glad your stuff was secure and nothing lost. Rivian really does need to get their system updated to let us know when this kind of stuff happens. Especially a notification of when someone tries to open the doors while locked. No reason for that to happen unless someone is up to no good. A phone notification would be great to actually catch them in the act, rather than just when we randomly decide to view the videos that are full of false alarms anytime someone walks by.

Count Orlok

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1S/ 2024 INEOS Grenadier/ 1969 Ford / etc.
Occupation
retired
this type of crime is rampant in Las Vegas and one of the reasons I never understood why people would rather have xmas decorations instead of their cars in the garage.

s4wrxttcs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Engineer
The only thing preventing a crime is that the door was locked. If the door had opened than he would be trespassing. His intent is unknown, but his actions led to trespass. I might take a look at an interesting car, but I don't test the door handles and locks on the bars in the first 30 seconds... Way too generous a view, even to my very liberal brain.
But, would it be legal to energize the door handle when someone attempted to unlock it?

I'm not saying to energize it to taser level amounts of potential, but maybe like an electrical fence. :)

Sponsored

bummin

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 R1T, 23R1S, 22WRX
Occupation
Whatever the wife says to do
It is BS that anyone would try and steal from other. Should be a software update to allow would be thieves a sample of 400V energy. I believe VTP (vehicle to perp) is correct acronym.
Bummer you had to have a visit from an obvious group of losers, glad it ended well for you.

OP
OP
R1Tkc

R1Tkc

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW M340, Tesla M3, Rivian R1T
Occupation
It Engineer
Clubs

Dodged one this time. You're lucky these dirt bags didn't break your window or locks.
Yeah really did get lucky on that one.. nothing broken and luckily my snowboard/racks were fine

OP
OP
R1Tkc

R1Tkc

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
It Engineer
Clubs

Sure no actual crime was committed, but like others said above, it he doors were locked and the racks were secured. Youā€™re telling me that if he was able to get the door open, he wouldā€™ve just peered in to take a look? And him trying to lift both racks was also innocent?

Iā€™m a car buff as much as the next person in this forum and regardless of whether it was a novel car I had never seen before or even something I would love to own one day, I would never have the gall to tug on someoneā€™s door handle or mess with their racks/gear. Thereā€™s a huge difference between pointing and admiring vs trying to get the door open/trying to remove roof racks.

OP
OP
R1Tkc

R1Tkc

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
It Engineer
Clubs

It is BS that anyone would try and steal from other. Should be a software update to allow would be thieves a sample of 400V energy. I believe VTP (vehicle to perp) is correct acronym.
Bummer you had to have a visit from an obvious group of losers, glad it ended well for you.
Thanks man. This needs to be a part of the next update forsure! šŸ˜‚

OP
OP
R1Tkc

R1Tkc

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
It Engineer
Clubs

Those types of people really piss me off. Glad your stuff was secure and nothing lost. Rivian really does need to get their system updated to let us know when this kind of stuff happens. Especially a notification of when someone tries to open the doors while locked. No reason for that to happen unless someone is up to no good. A phone notification would be great to actually catch them in the act, rather than just when we randomly decide to view the videos that are full of false alarms anytime someone walks by.
Thanks man. Totally agree. I know that motion can be triggered at cars driving by, etc, but a tug on the door handle when locked should trigger a notification or at least an alarm to deter would be thieves.

Ideally, if the app could send a notification when gear guard senses a human being would be great
Sponsored