First Name
Randall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Launch Edition - Glacier White/Black Mountain
Occupation
Principal Engineer
I’m sure there are cheaper options, but I would stick with the EVSportline pkg based on the feedback from the masses here in the Forum and to support a site sponsor. EVSportline has also made a firmware update available, so at least some ongoing support will be nice. Of course I’ve already purchased the pkg (just not yet installed) so there is that. Please be sure and share the results when you get the friction hinges.
Where is the firmware update? I've looked on the site and can't find anything on it.
Sponsored

PhatDaddy

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 R1T RC PDM Max 20” ATs
Occupation
Retired IT

TNutz

First Name
Taft
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Finance Leader
I was once 100% committed to thinking I needed CarPlay. Just embrace the Rivian UI and how it’s integrated into the car for range and recharging on trips as well as all the features that allow you to send navigation directions directly from your phone google and/or Apple Map to the Rivian, use Alexa to play music/audible books from your Amazon accounts etc. And while you can’t voice text through Alexa, I can still access Siri by just enabling “wake on Siri command” on my phone that I have mounted and it works just by saying hey siri please text …. With those features, I really haven’t missed CarPlay and actually enjoy the clean interface Rivian intended for their vehicles

EV Sportline

Site Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
evsportline.com
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, R2 res, Tesla S, 3, X, Y, Cybertruck
Occupation
Upgrading Electric Vehicles
Clubs

Where is the firmware update? I've looked on the site and can't find anything on it.

We will post the firmware update today - the only update is airplay for iOS 17.2 or newer. There was a security change for airplay, so we had to update.

EV Sportline

Site Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
evsportline.com
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, R2 res, Tesla S, 3, X, Y, Cybertruck
Occupation
Upgrading Electric Vehicles
Clubs

Couple things:

1 - We considered a lower mounting, but decided against it - looking down from the road is a bad idea from a safety perspective. I am sure I'll get roasted for this opinion, but it's true.

2 - Our screen uses our unique firmware and we work direct with the ODM on the screen firmware. Which means ours works and if/when updates are needed, we will have them and support. Regarding Amazon screens - bazillion cheapo generic screens on there; you get 30 days warranty, zero customer support, no mounting brackets, generic power wires, and hit or miss firmware. For some this is great, enjoy! For those that want a no hassle solution, a real warranty, the ability to update firmware, and Rivian owners supporting the product...that is us :)

Sponsored

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

I was once 100% committed to thinking I needed CarPlay. Just embrace the Rivian UI and how it’s integrated into the car for range and recharging on trips as well as all the features that allow you to send navigation directions directly from your phone google and/or Apple Map to the Rivian, use Alexa to play music/audible books from your Amazon accounts etc. And while you can’t voice text through Alexa, I can still access Siri by just enabling “wake on Siri command” on my phone that I have mounted and it works just by saying hey siri please text …. With those features, I really haven’t missed CarPlay and actually enjoy the clean interface Rivian intended for their vehicles
People have different requirements; it’s not just about on-road navigation and voice texting. No matter how good the Rivian interface is, and it is very good, I am not getting Gaia GPS on it unless a specific app is developed. There are at least a few other apps I can place in that category, but for off-roading where you need to be aware of private property boundaries, Gaia GPS is an absolute requirement for me.

Steve A.

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Audi Q7, Ford Expedition, Porsche Cayenne
Occupation
self-employed code-slinger
Clubs

You can buy the unit EV Sportline uses on Amazon for under $80. You can get a fuse tap for less than $10. There are several mounts out there to 3d print. I personally didn't like the idea of deforming my dash the way EV Sportline does and made a metal mount for below the screen.

PXL_20240102_213721774.jpg
*Deforming the dash* by slipping a bracket in the seam w/o having to put any holes in the dash for screws? That's a helluva exaggeration, IMHO.

The problem w/ undermount is having to take your eyes off the road and reaching down to the touchscreen which isn't much better than the distraction of using your phone AFAIC.

rmalzo

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 f1t
Occupation
Retired
Have been waiting patiently for Rivian (love the vehicle) to announce some kind of solution for Apple CarPlay, does not look like anything is coming.

Saw this innovative idea providing the link below.

Seriously thinking of going in for this, debating between a iPad mini or iPad air. The back-plate should be easy to create in case nothing is available.

What a waste of time. There are already things for sale that are just plug and play without all the work this lame guy is doing

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

If you are trying a standard usb-c cable and charger, it won't power up. It doesn't use the same configuration of the cable.
Thats odd, especially considering they offer a 12V accessory plug for the under the dash outlet if you don’t want to use the fuse box tap. Not sure why their USB-C cable charger would be special.

LivingInKaos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Launch Green Forest Edge
Occupation
Own Fabrication Company
Clubs

Thats odd, especially considering they offer a 12V accessory plug for the under the dash outlet if you don’t want to use the fuse box tap. Not sure why their USB-C cable charger would be special.
There are lots of devices coming out utilizing the usb-c plug but not utilizing the power management portion of the std. Without the feedback from the device, the power brick doesn't know what to do so it does nothing. The power adapters provided with the unit supply just that, dumb power.

Sponsored

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

There are lots of devices coming out utilizing the usb-c plug but not utilizing the power management portion of the std. Without the feedback from the device, the power brick doesn't know what to do so it does nothing. The power adapters provided with the unit supply just that, dumb power.
Still not sure that makes any sense to me. For example @EV Sportline sells this:

https://evsportline.com/products/ri...wer-port-usb-c-cord-for-team-1ev-smart-screen

Not sure why this would be any different than an adapter I buy at Target or plugging it into the USB-C power on my Goal Zero. All of these should be ‘dumb power’

el_scorcho

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

Couple things:

1 - We considered a lower mounting, but decided against it - looking down from the road is a bad idea from a safety perspective. I am sure I'll get roasted for this opinion, but it's true.

2 - Our screen uses our unique firmware and we work direct with the ODM on the screen firmware. Which means ours works and if/when updates are needed, we will have them and support. Regarding Amazon screens - bazillion cheapo generic screens on there; you get 30 days warranty, zero customer support, no mounting brackets, generic power wires, and hit or miss firmware. For some this is great, enjoy! For those that want a no hassle solution, a real warranty, the ability to update firmware, and Rivian owners supporting the product...that is us :)
I agree with these points. Installation was relatively easy even for a non-technical guy like me. I followed the steps to mount to the dash and I don't see any deformation at all. Fit looks great to me. Contorting my 6'4" frame to get to the fuses was interesting, but I got it. Now I'm just sitting here jonesing for that sweet firmware update...

OP
OP

jkahlon

First Name
Jag
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Lexus GX470, RX350
Occupation
Engineer
Below are some key Apple CarPlay updates coming in next version. Rivian will be hard pressed to keep offering new features at par with CarPlay even though some of these are available.

Q for EVSportline I assume you can only provide a default capability, some of these will require data sharing from the vehicle which may not be possible.

Still find a lot of value with your capability just trying to understand.

Auto Settings: This app will let you manage paired iPhones and adjust vehicle settings.

Car Camera: This app will display the vehicle’s rear-view camera feed.

Charge: For electric vehicles, this app will display battery level, charging status, time remaining until the battery is fully charged, and more.

Climate: This app will provide access to a vehicle’s climate controls within CarPlay, allowing you to adjust the temperature of the A/C or heating system, fan speed, heated seats, heated steering wheel, and more.

Closures: This app will display if any of the vehicle’s doors are opened, and it might also display vehicle warning symbols.

Media: This app will provide access to FM and AM radio station controls within CarPlay, along with other media options like SiriusXM. It is unclear if SiriusXM will offer satellite connectivity, or remain limited to internet streaming. Users will be able to select from a list of music genres, such as Top 40 and Rock.

Tire Pressure: This app will display air pressure for each of the vehicle’s tires, and provide low pressure, high pressure, and flat tire warnings.

Trips: This app will provide a variety of driving-related data, including the vehicle’s average speed, fuel efficiency or energy efficiency, the total time elapsed and distance traveled on a trip, and more.

Last edited:

defcon888

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T, 2021 Toyota RAV4 Prime
Occupation
Making money
Clubs

The last thing I personally want is another huge screen above the other screen. I know people are chomping at the bit to get CarPlay (I would like it myself), I won't sacrifice my dash to make it happen.

I guess I am one of those old guys that just wants what I have to work.....and the Infotainment system (as clonky as it is), it works for me.

Here are is my wish list for an update:

1. Allow messaging (send via talk and reading texts)
2. Attach Spotify to the PaaK or Keycard. As it is now, I have to log out and my wife logs in to get her music selection......our music tastes are 100,000,000% different. I am a metal head and she is a mellow head. It would be nice to have that happen automatically.
3. The ability to move the SPOTIFY play screen to the driver's side so you don't have to rely on the passenger (if there is one in the truck) or reach over to forward through the commercials.
4. Sirus XM was announced so if it comes about, I might look at getting that.
Sponsored