Canadian delivery timeframe

OP
OP

PostMinivanDad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21' Pacifica PHEV, 23' 3 row Model Y
This new delay for Canadian deliveries is no surprise (see the first post in this thread)… Facing supply constraints and delays in establishing service centers, they chose, like pretty much any other business, to prioritise their home market. Considering how little it takes to get the Transport Canada rubber stamp, it probably won’t be a substantial economy of effort, but sure, I get it.

What annoys me is that the 5500 or so (assuming the per capita uptake in Canada and the USA are similar) Canadian pre order holders have been told BS for several weeks now and, again, had to learn indirectly the right information.

Would it have been so hard to send an email a few minutes before the IPO filing to all Canadian customers advising them of the additional delay? Isnt this the kind of thing RJ said they would fix in his last letter?

As a February 2019 R1S LE reservation holder, I am even more amazed we still know nothing about the most important thing about an SUV – second and third row usability. Its been , what, 4 months since the “Inside story” post on the R1T which promised the same at a later date for the R1S? Come on…
Sponsored

Last edited:

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
This new delay for Canadian deliveries is no surprise (see the first post in this thread)… Facing supply constraints and delays in establishing service centers, they chose, like pretty much any other business, to prioritise their home market. Considering how little it takes to get the Transport Canada rubber stamp, it probably won’t be a substantial economy of effort, but sure, I get it.

What annoys me is that the 5500 or so (assuming the per capita uptake in Canada and the USA are similar) Canadian pre order holders have been told BS for several weeks now and, again, had to learn indirectly the right information.

Would it have been so hard to send an email a few minutes before the IPO filing to all Canadian customers advising them of the additional delay? Isnt this the kind of thing RJ said they would fix in his last letter?

As a February 2019 R1S LE reservation holder, I am even more amazed we still know nothing about the most important thing about an SUV – second and third row usability. Its been , what, 4 months since the “Inside story” post on the R1T which promised the same at a later date for the R1S? Come on…
What new delay, since the one several months ago now?

I think there won’t be any R1S updates until they’re done with production Sign offs, which does appear to have occurred since they’re still validating tooling.

OP
OP

PostMinivanDad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
What new delay, since the one several months ago now?

I think there won’t be any R1S updates until they’re done with production Sign offs, which does appear to have occurred since they’re still validating tooling.
New delay = No canadian delivery of both models before feb as indicated in IPO filing vs what is still on website.
Rivian R1T R1S Canadian delivery timeframe 76034477-E111-4724-8D47-606D889D21C1

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
New delay = No canadian delivery of both models before feb as indicated in IPO filing vs what is still on website.
76034477-E111-4724-8D47-606D889D21C1.jpeg
The IPO documents only indicate that they expect to have Canadian certification by Feb 2022, not that it won’t happen sooner.

it only takes 6 weeks max to get transport Canada CMVSS certification approval to be a registered manufacturer, so if they’ve submitted their information already they will have approval well before February. They should not have to carry out substantial modifications since the vehicles will surely have been designed with Canadian certification in mind.
It’s mostly little things like labels being bilingual and having SI units, the parking brake indicator is a pictogram of a brake with an exclamation mark in the middle instead of the word BRAKE, etc. Bumper standards used to be different(stricter than US 5mph standards) but recently have been harmonized with the FMVSS…

I have been through this process so am intimately and painfully familiar with it. Thus the long paragrap. Catharsis!

Since Transport Canada recognizes EPA certification for emissions and so on, so that’s done.

For IC EM emissions and interference approval, in the owners manual there are IC numbers listed for all the compo that require them, so it sounds like they just need to have the vehicle itself certified. Again, as long as they designed with certifiably in mind, it is effectively a formality.

so that’s my slightly informed but probsbly wrong analysis. I think the dates Rivian are providing for delivery on their website are still accurate, and they’ve indicated February in their S1 filings as a worst case deadline.

Rivian R1T R1S Canadian delivery timeframe 207F1BBD-139E-4066-B3C5-154D8BC1DB14

OP
OP

PostMinivanDad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
The IPO documents only indicate that they expect to have Canadian certification by Feb 2022, not that it won’t happen sooner.

it only takes 6 weeks max to get transport Canada CMVSS certification approval to be a registered manufacturer, so if they’ve submitted their information already they will have approval well before February. They should not have to carry out substantial modifications since the vehicles will surely have been designed with Canadian certification in mind.
It’s mostly little things like labels being bilingual and having SI units, the parking brake indicator is a pictogram of a brake with an exclamation mark in the middle instead of the word BRAKE, etc. Bumper standards used to be different(stricter than US 5mph standards) but recently have been harmonized with the FMVSS…

I have been through this process so am intimately and painfully familiar with it. Thus the long paragrap. Catharsis!

Since Transport Canada recognizes EPA certification for emissions and so on, so that’s done.

For IC EM emissions and interference approval, in the owners manual there are IC numbers listed for all the compo that require them, so it sounds like they just need to have the vehicle itself certified. Again, as long as they designed with certifiably in mind, it is effectively a formality.

so that’s my slightly informed but probsbly wrong analysis. I think the dates Rivian are providing for delivery on their website are still accurate, and they’ve indicated February in their S1 filings as a worst case deadline.

207F1BBD-139E-4066-B3C5-154D8BC1DB14.jpeg
Being aware myself of a 6-8 weeks turnaround @ TC, I figured the wording would have indicated they provided the applications already if deliveries are really to start in November, not that they “expect to provide an application” by February. Same thing for the ICES-002 tests: hard to deliver a product in November with testing to be completed in December.

Anyway, I hope you are right and that the text is out of date/kept as such to indicate worst case to investors.

Sponsored

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Being aware myself of a 6-8 weeks turnaround @ TC, I figured the wording would have indicated they provided the applications already if deliveries are really to start in November, not that they “expect to provide an application” by February. Same thing for the ICES-002 tests: hard to deliver a product in November with testing to be completed in December.

Anyway, I hope you are right and that the text is out of date/kept as such to indicate worst case to investors.
I am choosing optimism in this instance….because I want my goddamn R1 ???

WRT ICES—002 tests, do they have to submit a vehicle to IC or can they self certify, and can they ship with “pending” certification?

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
For what it’s worth, customer service told me today that LE R1T AND R1S deliveries are still slated to begin in November, all others to commence in January.

aAlpine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ioniq 5, 4Runner
CS told me Dec 2020 right up to the last minute. They'll just parrot whatever is on the website.

atlastracer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S LE, Honda Pilot
I got the same thing on the weekend. I'm sure it's just them repeating what's on the website. I've never gotten anything other than repeating what's on the website from CS (clearly I've not gotten the great CS agents that others seem to get).

I'm sure November won't happen. And I'm sure they won't change their messaging until there is a confirmed delay (like the last times).

rraj2k81

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Tesla Model S LR
At this stage I would not put any faith in the CS providing any real details regarding order delivery. Every time I message them, I pretty much get what is on their website and nothing more.

Sponsored

jjwolf120

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Occupation
TPA
CS told me Dec 2020 right up to the last minute. They'll just parrot whatever is on the website.
No they didn't. Maybe you mean June or July 2020. It was announced around April or May of 2020 that December 2020 wasn't going to happen.

aAlpine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ioniq 5, 4Runner
No they didn't. Maybe you mean June or July 2020. It was announced around April or May of 2020 that December 2020 wasn't going to happen.
You're right. I can't recall exactly which date. There might have not even been a CS support line before December 2020. I just know for certain I had made plans based on information I was assured to be accurate, and sold investments that have since tripled in value. I could have THREE R1Ts if I had just not taken their dates seriously ?

kvenom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y
At this point, we will be lucky if we get deliveries by late next year stretching into 2023 given the info coming to light.

OP
OP

PostMinivanDad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
At this point, we will be lucky if we get deliveries by late next year stretching into 2023 given the info coming to light.
Agreed. Id say 2022 canadian deliveries even for early LE R1S reservations are unlikely… maybe fall for R1T? (I hope I am wrong at that I will be told so at american thanksgiving) Not many are cancelling, but I think less and less reservation holders will end up proceeding with purchases as each communication test is failed: there is a price to pay for forcing people to juggle placeholder vehicles in the current market - big losses are possible when buying a car now and having to trade it at the tail end of the shortage period. For the ones with cars in good shape and no pressure…. other options might arrive: ie an electric Expedition would suck quite a few family oriented R1S customers.

rraj2k81

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Tesla Model S LR
I personally have given up hope we will see any sort of deliveries in 2022 for Canada, and getting my R1S next year, which was when I wanted my new vehicle. I do plan to keep the deposit in place, until the day I take delivery of whatever my new vehicle will be.

I have already started putting deposits down for my next options., including going into the warm embrace of Tesla, which I was hoping not to !
Sponsored