Sponsored

Can you jack the Rivian from the upgraded underbody shield?

AMaier

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Ioniq 5, MX-5 ND
Can you jack the Rivian from the upgraded underbody shield? Has anyone done this?
Sponsored

OP
OP
AMaier

AMaier

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Ioniq 5, MX-5 ND
I haven't and don't really plan to do this, but... I feel like the manual does not take into account the upgraded metal underbody. What can it take?

In the early days, I remember a spec floating around that it could bear the weight of the vehicle on a 1" square of the underbody shield (this was in an offroading setting.) Maybe this was wrong and since removed. I'm having trouble finding the weight capacity at all now.

UnsungZero_OldTimeAdMan

First Name
Barnum
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 GW Quad-Large R1T "Ghost"
Occupation
Advertising Circus
I haven't and don't really plan to do this, but... I feel like the manual does not take into account the upgraded metal underbody. What can it take?

In the early days, I remember a spec floating around that it could bear the weight of the vehicle on a 1" square of the underbody shield (this was in an offroading setting.) Maybe this was wrong and since removed. I'm having trouble finding the weight capacity at all now.
It's just a tougher skin, an additional layer of protection and reinforcement to the standard layer of composite protection. The ICE equivalent of the RUS would be the optional skid plates that protect vital low hanging components from being bumped and dragged against terra firma (oil pan, transmission, differential bell housings, fuel tank, etc.). It is not prescribed as a jacking surface in the owner guide (and tow operator guide) because it isn't designed for that—the jack points shown are. If you get cute and go against official published recommendations, you can guess that that might mean to your warranty (if you incur damage and try to get Rivian to cover it under warranty). They did not neglect mention of RUS. It's left out on purpose.

Last edited:

Sponsored

dleewla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Toyota, Lexus
Clubs

i wouldnt. theres a reason the RUS is there - to protect the battery. why take a chance? you'll definitely void the warranty if something goes wrong.

Kev3in

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Retired Aerospace Test Engineer
Clubs

Yeah. Probably. Once. ;)

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

It certainly could get jacked up from doing that.

goldburger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Can you jack the Rivian from the upgraded underbody shield? Has anyone done this?
What upgraded underbody shield?
Sponsored