First Name
Alejandro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Audi SQ5
Occupation
Business Owner
I just noticed that as part of the Driver+ hardware there is an interior camera looking at the driver to make sure there is full attention on the road. Pretty much like the cameras Amazon is putting in all delivery vans.

"- An interior camera monitors driver attention on the road, enabling hands-free driving. If the system detects your attention drift away from the road, you’ll be automatically prompted to place your hands on the wheel to continue driving with Driver+ engaged. "

I assume if we turn off the hands-free functionality, the camera would turn off as well.
Sponsored

BigE

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Honda S2000
I just noticed that as part of the Driver+ hardware there is an interior camera looking at the driver to make sure there is full attention on the road. Pretty much like the cameras Amazon is putting in all delivery vans.

"- An interior camera monitors driver attention on the road, enabling hands-free driving. If the system detects your attention drift away from the road, you’ll be automatically prompted to place your hands on the wheel to continue driving with Driver+ engaged. "

I assume if we turn off the hands-free functionality, the camera would turn off as well.
Tesla has interior camera also, you can buy a cover for it. I’m sure we’ll find these on Amazon after the trucks hit the market

Reactions: Jay

EarlyAdptr

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sequoia
Occupation
Consultant
I remember reading somewhere (I think on a different car review), that the interior camera would determine the driver's attention (either left or right) when adjusting the side mirrors - so there was no need for a L / R switch.

Not sure if this is on the Rivian. There may be other features connected to that camera as well.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
A piece of tape or sticker is cheap and easy

Sponsored

OP
OP
AleCS

AleCS

First Name
Alejandro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Audi SQ5
Occupation
Business Owner
.. and will probably result in at least some functions being disabled.
That was my next question. Covering the camera with tape would either trigger an annoying alert (beeping sound) or disable something else. If there is a way to manually turn off the feature, that would be awesome and then there is no need to add tape anywhere.

Or just suck it up and have a camera watching you all the time not know what Rivian (or Amazon) would do with the data. Trust me, Amazon will do ANYTHING to get their hands on more and more data. Just look at the “sidewalk” feature in your Alexa devices….

Sdvictor

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
It’s likely a locally processed ir camera that checks for gaze. Data isn’t sent out of the car in most applications from most manufacturers. The only one that sends the in car camera data back to the manufacture right now is Tesla. Smart phones actually use the camera in the same way for gaze and attention recognition to keep phone screens on. All that’s looking for is the direction of the eyes.

Like in other cars, if you cover the camera, you will likely lose adaptive cruise, lane keep functionality, and highway handsfree cruise.

This will also likely be a problem if you are wearing polarized glasses

Rivian R1T R1S Can we turn interior camera off? 2022-Rivian-R1S-1024x555

Rivian-WI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC60
This is just MY opinion!!!
If things like this get disabled, the car should be disabled. Stuff like this is put into place to protect you from the people around you and to protect the people around you from you.
We do not need more stories of people sleeping in the back seat while the car drives. The systems are not there yet.
Before long this stuff will become standard on all vehicles even if there is no self drive. Some manufacturers have it to detect if you are getting sleepy at the wheel.
Again just MY opinion.

Sully151

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 Jeep JkU
Occupation
Theater arts
Am I the only one who plans on “Christening” their R1T with their partner?

I am not sure anyone at Rivian wants to see that.?‍♂

Maybe the camera turns off when parked.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
That was my next question. Covering the camera with tape would either trigger an annoying alert (beeping sound) or disable something else. If there is a way to manually turn off the feature, that would be awesome and then there is no need to add tape anywhere.

Or just suck it up and have a camera watching you all the time not know what Rivian (or Amazon) would do with the data. Trust me, Amazon will do ANYTHING to get their hands on more and more data. Just look at the “sidewalk” feature in your Alexa devices….
You're not going to be able to use the more advanced Driver+ features without the camera... It won't matter if you use tape or Rivian allows a software toggle to disable the camera (although if you're paranoid enough to want to disable the camera would you even trust a software toggle?)

So the sticker is still the best option, imo. If you won't accept the camera then you're going to have to give up the higher-level automation.

Sponsored

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
Who needs Sentry Mode when you have Sultry Mode?

And isn't that a part of recommended break in procedure?

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
Weird that you posted this. I was just thinking about the "Mile High Club".

Eeyore

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, ID.4 Pro S, Civic, EX-L, Honda Fit
Occupation
Union Journeyman Electrician, foreman
Clubs

photontorque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Old Reliable
A thread after my own heart. I'm hoping I can put tape over the camera, and accept that some assisted driver features won't be available. If tape over the camera means the vehicle won't start or move, then I will look for a different vehicle.

Driveout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
There are cameras and or monitoring devices everywhere in our lives. Go to a store and the store is purported to know where you are in the store, how long you linger in an area etc. by using your cell phone. The AI technology that knows the You Tube videos I like also knows what my general interests are and how to tailor ads to attract my attention. The news feed I use feeds the category of stories to me which confirm my various categories of bias. "See the world is just the way I thought it was, all the news says so". Technology is, as are all other categories in our lives, a 2 edged sword... Knife - tool or weapon. This is simplistic of course as there are many shades of grey here the knife may be considered art. If we accept the advanced tech required to enable such an incredible vehicle (4 motors working in synchrony is quite a feat and that is likely the easy stuff) there is the opportunity for that tech to be used in ways we are unaware of. The world has changed. As Steve Winwood said "Roll With It".
Sponsored