Sponsored

Can the underbody shield be added later?

MidnightRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Infiniti
Clubs

The buying guide for laptops would apply to the Rivian.

I was able to get under both vehicles with or without shield and there is no way I would pick up the Rivian with the stock shield.

That thing felt flimsy as shit and wouldn't last offroad. I was able to bang it hard and make it flex. That was not possible with the Rivian underbody shield.

I would barely trust it on the highway with all the debris on the road.

People spend $2000 -$5000 for wraps but scoff at $1,700 for something that protects their undercarriage. I guess looks are more important to some than performance or utility.

Order the best option for anything that comes directly installed by the factory and skip all the add-ons for aftermarket.

In the case of laptops, you always buy the best processor and video card you can afford, things like RAM and SSD can be upgraded later unless soldered on.

Same concept applies to Rivian, get your quad motors, batteries, Rivian underbody shields, paints and interior options exactly how you want it.

You can worry about wheels, PPF, kitchen camp set, tent and add-ons later.
Sponsored

OP
OP
rivianguy

rivianguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S

I was able to get under both vehicles with or without shield and there is no way I would pick up the Rivian with the stock shield.

That thing felt flimsy as shit and wouldn't last offroad. I was able to bang it hard and make it flex. That was not possible with the Rivian underbody shield.

People spend $2000 -$5000 for wraps but scoff at $1,700 for something that protects their undercarriage. I guess looks are more important to some than performance or utility.

Order the best option for anything that comes directly installed by the factory and skip all the add-ons for aftermarket.

In the case of laptops, you always buy the best processor and video card you can afford, things like RAM and SSD can be upgraded later unless soldered on.

Same concept applies to Rivian, get your quad motors, batteries, Rivian underbody shields, paints and interior options exactly how you want it.

You can worry about wheels, PPF, kitchen camp set, tent and add-ons later.
I took delivery of my R1S back in September and did end up keeping the underbody shield option (mainly because there wasn't really good information available at the time to make an informed decision) I'd been burnt in the past by not taking certain factory options that proved to be structurally difficult to implement with aftermarket accessories so for 2k I figured I'd just bite the bullet. I can't really comment on it's quality as I haven't dropped my R1S off a cliff and onto sharp rocks yet but from a visual inspection it appears to be pretty solid.

I will say it commands zero value in the resale of the vehicle from what I've seen on the sales have taken place so far. Agree with your comments on PPF. This forum seems to have an unusually high number of folks who are spending pretty high dollar amounts on aftermarket PPF. Each to his/her own but there does seem to be a pretty clear pattern that PPF (like underbody but perhaps even more so) commands no additional resale value. I suspect it's more of a 'looks' thing as you say.

Sully151

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 Jeep JkU
Occupation
Theater arts

I’m confused. Everything I have heard was the underbody shield was under the main shield and could t be seen.

MidnightRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Infiniti
Clubs

I’m confused. Everything I have heard was the underbody shield was under the main shield and could t be seen.
You can physically bang on the panels and tell a BIG difference. Enough for me to spend $1700 after going for every freemium / pre-price hike upgrade possible to maximize my value.

https://www.rivianforums.com/forum/...thout-how-to-tell-if-your-rivian-has-it.5729/

I want to clear up a long standing debated topic: Can you see the reinforced underbody protection?

Short answer: you can tell by looking under the truck!

I took delivery today and I had the delivery friends show me and explain. It’s clear once you know what you’re looking for.

With reinforced underbody

Rivian with Reinforced Underbody Protection.jpeg

You can see your plating is fully smooth and a metal composite. It’s got a shine to it. There’s no grooved channels in the center, just rivet holes. To the very left (going off frame) is the all carbon fiber piece. It’s hard to tell from this angle but in person you can see the carbon fiber texture. There’s another on the back as well.

Without underbody Protection:

3F7CEE76-1FEA-4BD2-82F3-B6F5A48624D8.jpeg

The center panel is visibly plastic and have grooved channels running down it. Everything is pretty much plastic.

it’s hard to tell materials in these photos sometimes but in person it’s very clear. However the dead give away is the grooves.

I hope this helps clear this up for everyone!

I took delivery of my R1S back in September and did end up keeping the underbody shield option (mainly because there wasn't really good information available at the time to make an informed decision) I'd been burnt in the past by not taking certain factory options that proved to be structurally difficult to implement with aftermarket accessories so for 2k I figured I'd just bite the bullet. I can't really comment on it's quality as I haven't dropped my R1S off a cliff and onto sharp rocks yet but from a visual inspection it appears to be pretty solid.

I will say it commands zero value in the resale of the vehicle from what I've seen on the sales have taken place so far. Agree with your comments on PPF. This forum seems to have an unusually high number of folks who are spending pretty high dollar amounts on aftermarket PPF. Each to his/her own but there does seem to be a pretty clear pattern that PPF (like underbody but perhaps even more so) commands no additional resale value. I suspect it's more of a 'looks' thing as you say.
I like the idea of resale but this car is not for that purpose. Instead I think of it more as value or salvage equity when I go to sell the car in 5 years, 10 years or 15 years time.

Things like Rivian Underbody shield will help you sell your car easier and get closer to your asking price if it's realistic due to supply / demand factors like limited availability like Compass Yellow color or vehicles equipped with Rivian Underbody Shield.

Price is what you pay, value is what you get.

I get deep freaking value from quad motor / large pack Rivian with a pre-price hike / all the freemium upgrades like cocaine white and ocean coast.

I don't mind spending $1,700 on something I will keep a long time and help protect my purchase after Rivian decided to honor the original price base price / specs we agreed upon when I put my deposit down.

Last edited:

Seanfi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
As I said in my post that revived this thread, in my case it was about availability in shop, not cost. I hadn’t really been tracking things and that included this whole shop concept.

One day I received an email offering to get me my Rivian much sooner by picking an existing truck. As I was looking at what was available I started to see trucks disappearing so I figured I better act fast. I found a truck that had everything I wanted except the tonneau, spare, and underbody shield. I naively assumed all could be added on later as that was my experience with every other off road capable vehicle I’ve owned.

I find it kind of ridiculous that they engineered a bash plate that can’t be replaced or added.

Sponsored

Sully151

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 Jeep JkU
Occupation
Theater arts
You can physically bang on the panels and tell a BIG difference. Enough for me to spend $1700 after going for every freemium / pre-price hike upgrade possible to maximize my value.

https://www.rivianforums.com/forum/...thout-how-to-tell-if-your-rivian-has-it.5729/

I want to clear up a long standing debated topic: Can you see the reinforced underbody protection?

Short answer: you can tell by looking under the truck!

I took delivery today and I had the delivery friends show me and explain. It’s clear once you know what you’re looking for.

With reinforced underbody

Rivian with Reinforced Underbody Protection.jpeg

You can see your plating is fully smooth and a metal composite. It’s got a shine to it. There’s no grooved channels in the center, just rivet holes. To the very left (going off frame) is the all carbon fiber piece. It’s hard to tell from this angle but in person you can see the carbon fiber texture. There’s another on the back as well.

Without underbody Protection:

3F7CEE76-1FEA-4BD2-82F3-B6F5A48624D8.jpeg

The center panel is visibly plastic and have grooved channels running down it. Everything is pretty much plastic.

it’s hard to tell materials in these photos sometimes but in person it’s very clear. However the dead give away is the grooves.

I hope this helps clear this up for everyone!
I am still confused. Are you saying the entire underbody is plastic without the RUS?

MidnightRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Infiniti
Clubs

I am still confused. Are you saying the entire underbody is plastic without the RUS?
Battery pack has plenty of protection.

RUS extends the protection to the rest of the vehicle.

MountainBikeDude

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 El Cap Quad Motor R1T (Selling the Xterra)
Clubs

The only thing I regret about choosing from the shop instead of waiting for my order is I didn’t get the underbody shield and didn’t research this sooner.

I am very surprised it can’t be added after the fact and there are no aftermarket options. I hope something comes available.
I'm sure someone will come out with an aftermarket solution. Biggest issue making it like for like, is the size and weight of the singular piece directly under the cab. It would either have to be flat packed and cut with an interlocking lip of some sort? Or you could try just hitting up a metal fabricator in your neck of the woods and see if they'd be interested in tackling it.
Sponsored