Sponsored

Can the underbody shield be added later?

rivianguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
For those of you who have already taken delivery of the R1T and who purchased the underbody shield. Does this look like a part that can be 'bolted on' after taking delivery of the vehicle or is it one of those where it pretty much needs to be done 'at the factory as the truck is being built. I have an R1S pre-order and don't really need the underbody shield immediately (not going to take it up into serious off roading in the mountains on the first day) but would like to understand whether it looks like I could add this on later if need be.
Sponsored

domoplaytime

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T Adventure
Clubs

... the underbody shield. Does this look like a part that can be 'bolted on' after taking delivery of the vehicle
My understanding from other forum posts is: No.
I worry that may be true as well for the winch, which Rivian removed from the configuration choices long ago but claimed will add back later. And I'd prefer not to have an after market winch that runs on the 12V computer battery, when I could have one tapped into the traction battery instead.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
My understanding from other forum posts is: No.
I worry that may be true as well for the winch, which Rivian removed from the configuration choices long ago but claimed will add back later. And I'd prefer not to have an after market winch that runs on the 12V computer battery, when I could have one tapped into the traction battery instead.
CS had previously said the winch could be added to existing vehicles, after the fact, as a service-center installed accessory. Take that with a grain of salt, of course... But seems possible.

I think the shield could technically be added after the fact, but Rivian has chosen not to support that.

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
I asked my guide this specifically and the answer was no. Apparently parts of it are built into the frame of the truck.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

CS had previously said the winch could be added to existing vehicles, after the fact, as a service-center installed accessory. Take that with a grain of salt, of course... But seems possible.

I think the shield could technically be added after the fact, but Rivian has chosen not to support that.
Winch would require a different crash bar. If they even decide to ever ship it. They supposedly took the controls out of the app.

Sponsored

OP
OP
rivianguy

rivianguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
I asked my guide this specifically and the answer was no. Apparently parts of it are built into the frame of the truck.
The reason I ask is without it I'm below 80k and with it I'm above. I did sign the binding purchase agreement that was recently sent out but even Rivian admits it isn't bulletproof so staying below 80k if possible would be the safest to preserve tax credit. That being said if it can't be done after the fact then best to take the risk I suppose.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Winch would require a different crash bar. If they even decide to ever ship it. They supposedly took the controls out of the app.
That doesnā€™t mean it canā€™t be added. I added a hitch to my Volvo (genuine Volvo part) and it replaced the crash bar, too.

Atlrivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grand Cherokee, XC90
Clubs

Guide told me no. However, I *believe* this could be done aftermarket in a few years once some shops got more experience modding the trucks.

Seanfi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
The only thing I regret about choosing from the shop instead of waiting for my order is I didnā€™t get the underbody shield and didnā€™t research this sooner.

I am very surprised it canā€™t be added after the fact and there are no aftermarket options. I hope something comes available.

Sponsored

RivianNowPlz

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bronco, Tesla
It cannot be added due to the manufacturing and installation process of both options. Iā€™m sure an after market option will become available, but it will likely be a very long time as the after market only creates these types of items to fill a consumer need thatā€™s in demand. This is absolutely not a current in demand consumer need so itā€™ll be in my honest opinion a couple of years until you see this option at a minimum.

emoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
The reason I ask is without it I'm below 80k and with it I'm above. I did sign the binding purchase agreement that was recently sent out but even Rivian admits it isn't bulletproof so staying below 80k if possible would be the safest to preserve tax credit. That being said if it can't be done after the fact then best to take the risk I suppose.
Can you drop something else to get under $80k? Wheels maybe?

ohseedee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I had underbody in my config, but went with an R1T in the shop without it. How critical is it? I read somewhere that the battery is still protected regardless and itā€™s really so you donā€™t take damage to the plastic panels. If thatā€™s the case I imagine not a that critical. Rock sliders seem like a better investment. (I Have no off-road experience, but looking to gain some)

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

The only thing I regret about choosing from the shop instead of waiting for my order is I didnā€™t get the underbody shield and didnā€™t research this sooner.

I am very surprised it canā€™t be added after the fact and there are no aftermarket options. I hope something comes available.
After inspecting it a bit, it seems to be a panel that is bonded to the bottom of the battery case. I haven't looked at a truck that doesn't have the underbody protection so I can't suggest that something aftermarket could be bonded in replacement of what's on the on-road battery. It might be possible to use some chemical process to unbond the panels, but it's definitely not something I would even be remotely interested in trying.

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
I'll echo the opinion that if there is sufficient demand, aftermarket will develop a bolt on. My opinion is that in the grand scheme of things, this would be easier to design and manufacture than rock sliders or running boards, which are out there already. But the demand side is the question. And it may not be much cheaper than just buying the factory option. 4x8x3/16 sheet of carbon fiber - $2000
Sponsored