Can a garage floor support 2 Rivians?

yizzung

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T | Audi allroad
Occupation
Tech
I’ve actually been thinking about this a bit. Would a concrete garage with a basement be able to support 2 EVs?
If you are parking your cars over an inhabitable space, call a structural engineer. Do not ask the internet.
Sponsored

xcb5

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ev6
If you are parking your cars over an inhabitable space, call a structural engineer. Do not ask the internet.
Well duh. Just putting it out there for friendly discussion like OP.
Curb weight for R1S is about 7000 lbs vs 6000 for a suburban. Hummer EV is over 9000 ?. I’m surprised this isn’t more of discussion with EV owners.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Well duh. Just putting it out there for friendly discussion like OP.
Curb weight for R1S is about 7000 lbs vs 6000 for a suburban. Hummer EV is over 9000 ?. I’m surprised this isn’t more of discussion with EV owners.
The load is still less than a typical uniform live load. That being said, it's really 4 point loads. I would be really surprised if a garage over a basement couldn't handle it, but it would be good to check. That would be fairly inexpensive assuming you can get the plans for your home.

Doublemfarms

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F-250,GMC Yukon XL Denali
Absolutely it will hold 2 of whatever you can pull in there. Worry about something else but damn sure don’t worry about if you’re concrete will hold it.

Speedrye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Commodore, Supra, FJ Cruiser
I've wondered about this for my basement as well. My garage is over backfilled stone on the side closest to the house, so I'd be more worried about the additional lateral loading it's putting on that basement wall below. I'll probably park the Rivian in the bay farthest from the house, just in case as it'll weigh 3,000+ lbs more than anything else I've parked there.

Sponsored

Dgephri

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota FJ Cruiser
Occupation
Finance-Real Estate
Clubs

I had a 3700gal pool in my garage for 5+ years. So: not a four point load, but several tens of thousands of pounds on half of my garage slab. Didn't see any issues when I disassembled and removed it. ;)

mtdibart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Subaru Forester, 2019 Subaru Ascent
Occupation
physician
For what it's worth, I am actually about to have our garage floor redone. Home was originally built in the 60s and has too many serious cracks to count and is crumbling in places. I specifically asked the concrete contractor about this as my R1T will weight quite a bit more than my forester. He basically said the same as above. What matters is the prep before it is poured. This is supposed to get done in the next 2 weeks, and then hopefully I'll be parking a new truck on it soon!

moosetags

First Name
SuEllyn & Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T; 2020 Chevy Duramax; 1956 Ford Tbird
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

I have an 8,200# 3/4-ton Diesel pick-up truck and a 6,600# 3/4 Suburban in my garage. I'm sure it could handle two Rivians.

Brian

Joe schmoe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla model S
I'd look at it this way:

If the floor -does- collapse under the weight of two Rivians, it won't drop too far and the Rivians will be able to climb back out in "Rock Crawling" mode. You could leave it like that and have a little adventure everytime you backed out of the garage.

Or--you could use the collapsed floor as a newly compacted substrate for a new level slab.

Either way I think you're good.

Forager

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Structural Engineer
Clubs

I’m amazed by the number of structural engineers (and maybe a Geotech? @SeaGeo) on this forum 😂

The problem with asking forums for engineering advice, is any real engineer will dodge the question because of liability concerns, and any DIY hack will offer up their 2¢.

I’m both a Structural Enginner and a DIY hack, and my advice is if you are at all concerned you should call an engineer for an in-person consultation. 2 hours of billable time will put your mind to rest and will cost less than half your payment on the Rivian. Or in this case, 1/4 the payment on two Rivians.

Sponsored

GoWest!

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Outback & R1S
Your garage floor will not support that much weight. I'm afraid you'll have to park your 2nd Rivian in my garage.
Collaborative and solutions oriented!😜

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
I’m amazed by the number of structural engineers (and maybe a Geotech? @SeaGeo) on this forum 😂

The problem with asking forums for engineering advice, is any real engineer will dodge the question because of liability concerns, and any DIY hack will offer up their 2¢.

I’m both a Structural Enginner and a DIY hack, and my advice is if you are at all concerned you should call an engineer for an in-person consultation. 2 hours of billable time will put your mind to rest and will cost less than half your payment on the Rivian. Or in this case, 1/4 the payment on two Rivians.
Nauled it. Exactly why I said "it'd be good to check."

🙂

lostpacket

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Crosstrek, R1T
Occupation
Software Engineer
Depends on how much your garage floor makes.

Feeding and clothing 2 Rivians for 18 years gets really expensive. Plus, your garage is going to want to consider contributing to a tax advantaged collage tuition account. Some Rivians can get by with trade school and become an airport hauler or an Uber/Lift. But each Rivian's interests and path in life is different. This is not taking inflation into account of course, but if your garage floor's take home pay is sufficient, it can be done.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Depends on how much your garage floor makes.

Feeding and clothing 2 Rivians for 18 years gets really expensive. Plus, your garage is going to want to consider contributing to a tax advantaged collage tuition account. Some Rivians can get by with trade school and become an airport hauler or an Uber/Lift. But each Rivian's interests and path in life is different. This is not taking inflation into account of course, but if your garage floor's take home pay is sufficient, it can be done.
I mean this in an entirely endearing way.

You're such a dork. 😂

lostpacket

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Crosstrek, R1T
Occupation
Software Engineer
I mean this in an entirely endearing way.

You're such a dork. 😂
I almost went with a play on emotional support but financial had more to work with lol
Sponsored