GHuff

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Clubs

In light of the most recent "update" we received, my frustrations regarding the camp kitchen are coming to a boil. I am convinced that the camp kitchen is nothing more than a distraction and marketing ploy. And more importantly, a complete waste of Rivian resources at this point in time.

The camp kitchen has an entire team with a lead designer. They have spent countless hours and energy and money producing it. We know more about the damn camp kitchen than the car itself! The best, most detailed, and most informative video Rivian has EVER released was about the camp kitchen! And not about the car itself.

The camp kitchen could have easily been an after-market product or even delayed altogether.

The fact that Rivian is delaying the delivery of the vehicle and can't even provide basic details or information on the vehicle, yet spent it's resources creating a 30 piece completely custom camp kitchen is ridiculous to me. Oh, and I'd love to go into detail about how the design is completely impractical for actual camping or overlanding, but I'll save you the time.

Focus on delivering the main product first. Not only is the camp kitchen not an important component of the vehicle, but it is an optional add on and doesn't impact but a select few customers that are choosing to buy it. Again, it is an optional ADD ON. Yet, they chose to allocate valuable resources to this unnecessary product that impacts only the people that choose to purchase it...rather than allocating their valuable resources to delivering the main product on time, a decision that impacts every aspect of Rivian and every single customer.

One more point: Rivian could easily ship these out after the actual vehicle is complete and delivered. It is a modular design, so it can be shipped easily and can also be installed by a customer in seconds. It does not need to be constructed with the vehicle and should not hold up deliveries. If anything should be delayed or be released at a later date, it should be the camp kitchen! But, instead, Rivian is delaying far more important items such as the app, actual delivery of the vehicle, removeable roof, EPS ratings, service centers, etc. They are literally choosing to roll the vehicle and delivery out without some far more important things, yet plan on rolling out the camp kitchen immediately...with no delays. Get the darn app that you promised up and running over this camp kitchen. Decisions like this are infuriating as hell. The app effects every single owner and customer. The camp kitchen effects only the people that chose to have it and only the few that actually ordered it.

I had all of these frustrations originally when I saw the camp kitchen video and how Rivian was highlighting it...but now after this latest email, I am livid. Build and deliver the vehicle first. Then you can focus on string lights for an over priced coffee grinder.
Sponsored

cc84

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2000 GMC Sierra
.......I had all of these frustrations originally when I saw the camp kitchen video and how Rivian was highlighting it...but now after this latest email, I am livid. Build and deliver the vehicle first. Then you can focus on string lights for an over priced coffee grinder.
I understand your frustration. Let it out. I'll need to go back and re-read the email sent by RJ, to see if his wording allowed for further delays past September. I'm pretty sure Rivian originally stated the move away from June, to "planned deliveries" in July. That wording left some wiggle room. Once they moved it to September, I about half way read the RJ email, as I sort of expected that to happen anyway. I need to go back and see if he left some wiggle room this time, or has stated it as fact, that production will begin in September. All good with me though. I have two vehicles in the works and will take the first available.

boneil1

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ram 1500
My SIL called to tell me to cancel my electric truck order and order a truck she saw on Facebook that had the coolest camp kitchen set she has ever seen. She said it was all over facebook and everybody was talking about it. I laughed and told her not to worry, I already had the Rivian ordered.

My point is that the camp kitchen drummed up alot of chatter on social media and probably landed them alot of orders. Clearly it was a marketing ploy, and a good one at that.

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

In light of the most recent "update" we received, my frustrations regarding the camp kitchen are coming to a boil. I am convinced that the camp kitchen is nothing more than a distraction and marketing ploy. And more importantly, a complete waste of Rivian resources at this point in time.

The camp kitchen has an entire team with a lead designer. They have spent countless hours and energy and money producing it. We know more about the damn camp kitchen than the car itself! The best, most detailed, and most informative video Rivian has EVER released was about the camp kitchen! And not about the car itself.

The camp kitchen could have easily been an after-market product or even delayed altogether.

The fact that Rivian is delaying the delivery of the vehicle and can't even provide basic details or information on the vehicle, yet spent it's resources creating a 30 piece completely custom camp kitchen is ridiculous to me. Oh, and I'd love to go into detail about how the design is completely impractical for actual camping or overlanding, but I'll save you the time.

Focus on delivering the main product first. Not only is the camp kitchen not an important component of the vehicle, but it is an optional add on and doesn't impact but a select few customers that are choosing to buy it. Again, it is an optional ADD ON. Yet, they chose to allocate valuable resources to this unnecessary product that impacts only the people that choose to purchase it...rather than allocating their valuable resources to delivering the main product on time, a decision that impacts every aspect of Rivian and every single customer.

One more point: Rivian could easily ship these out after the actual vehicle is complete and delivered. It is a modular design, so it can be shipped easily and can also be installed by a customer in seconds. It does not need to be constructed with the vehicle and should not hold up deliveries. If anything should be delayed or be released at a later date, it should be the camp kitchen! But, instead, Rivian is delaying far more important items such as the app, actual delivery of the vehicle, removeable roof, EPS ratings, service centers, etc. They are literally choosing to roll the vehicle and delivery out without some far more important things, yet plan on rolling out the camp kitchen immediately...with no delays. Get the darn app that you promised up and running over this camp kitchen. Decisions like this are infuriating as hell. The app effects every single owner and customer. The camp kitchen effects only the people that chose to have it and only the few that actually ordered it.

I had all of these frustrations originally when I saw the camp kitchen video and how Rivian was highlighting it...but now after this latest email, I am livid. Build and deliver the vehicle first. Then you can focus on string lights for an over priced coffee grinder.
I understand your frustration but I think that even if they’d done as you suggest it wouldn’t have made a significant difference. I’m not in the automotive field, so feel free to correct me. Here’s what I’m thinking…

1. Once the dimensions of the gear tunnel and the electrical connections/electrical specifications were done, work could proceed on the gear shuttle and camp kitchen without needing to factor in any other interdependencies. People dedicated to the camp kitchen could work independently within their constraints from that point forward without their work impacting any of the other systems of the vehicle. If there were changes to anything outside the gear tunnel they didn’t have to worry about them. Other areas don’t necessarily have that luxury. They have to figure out if even the smallest change will impact any other area and how to address the impact and probably test for unintended consequences.

2. While work on the gear shuttle and camp kitchen could have been halted early on, there is no guarantee that the people who were working on the camp kitchen would have been able to assist with any other task which caused a delay. Someone with skills in designing and testing a physical product unrelated to the primary function of the vehicle may not have any skills for software development, procurement, assembly line setup, etc.

3. Of the upcoming EV pickups, one feature from Rivian is a differentiator: the gear tunnel and related accessories. Marketing would probably have issues with being ready day 1, especially if a competitor beats them in the first-to-market race. This is probably the least important factor, but I suspect it plays a part.

I work with complex systems and related documentation. Sometimes I spend as much time working on solutions as I do explaining to people why their, “All you have to do is…” solution won’t work because they haven’t been exposed to all of the constraints.

edit: fixed typo

Sponsored

KWeimer711

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 / Genesis
Occupation
Product Marketing

completely different teams that dont have any bearing/overlap with one another that would increase/decrease timing of the truck.

Kmann1994

First Name
Kevan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 Performance
Occupation
Head of Product
You don't just throw more people at a singular project and expect it to get done faster infinitely the more people you throw at it.

It is completely incorrect to suggest that the team that designed the Camp Kitchen would have been the differentiator between them delivering on time or not.

Jamuso

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ridgeline
Occupation
Sr software engineer - manager
You don't just throw more people at a singular project and expect it to get done faster infinitely the more people you throw at it.

It is completely incorrect to suggest that the team that designed the Camp Kitchen would have been the differentiator between them delivering on time or not.
Unless the camp kitchen team was capable of so

so you’re saying the Camp Kitchen accessory team couldn’t solve the global chip shortage and in turn we get our Rivians sooner?!

wicked2112

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Outback & CrossTrek
Occupation
Warranty & Product Integrity Manager - Yakima Racks.
Clubs

As I understand your frustration, the Camp Kitchen is not the culprit here. If you understand what is going on worldwide, you know how hard it is to get anything right now. The Automotive and Manufacturing sectors are some of the hardest hit by the continuing demand that has COMPLETLEY out-paced supply. The Camp Kitchen isn't going to power or control the R1T or R1S, but the lack of chips and computer components will stop any manufacture in there tracks. There a lot of second and third party parts vendors who are having delays that have delayed things world-wide, trust me because I work in this industry - and believe me its not a good look anywhere. As I do completely feel Rivian has to do better with communications, any automotive manufacture is having the same supply issues Rivian is having. We can all jump ship and put our deposits somewhere else, like with Hummer or Ford F150, but they are also having the same issues, the only saving grace for them is that their timeline for deliveries are way out.

I feel for the Launch Edition pre-order holders, but again - the Camp Kitchen isn't the fight here, blame the global demand and supply issues. Rivian will get there and we will hopefully be able to laugh this one off when we finally get our vehicle.

Put this in perspective, you can't go anywhere right now and purchase a Sony PlayStation PS5 or a XBOX in any store. A simple gaming console..........and people are going into year 2 waiting for it.

Just my two cents.
o_O

Sponsored

wicked2112

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Clubs

As I understand your frustration, the Camp Kitchen is not the culprit here. If you understand what is going on worldwide, you know how hard it is to get anything right now. The Automotive and Manufacturing sectors are some of the hardest hit by the continuing demand that has COMPLETLEY out-paced supply. The Camp Kitchen isn't going to power or control the R1T or R1S, but the lack of chips and computer components will stop any manufacture in there tracks. There a lot of second and third party parts vendors who are having delays that have delayed things world-wide, trust me because I work in this industry - and believe me its not a good look anywhere. As I do completely feel Rivian has to do better with communications, any automotive manufacture is having the same supply issues Rivian is having. We can all jump ship and put our deposits somewhere else, like with Hummer or Ford F150, but they are also having the same issues, the only saving grace for them is that their timeline for deliveries are way out.

I feel for the Launch Edition pre-order holders, but again - the Camp Kitchen isn't the fight here, blame the global demand and supply issues. Rivian will get there and we will hopefully be able to laugh this one off when we finally get our vehicle.

Put this in perspective, you can't go anywhere right now and purchase a Sony PlayStation PS5 or a XBOX in any store. A simple gaming console..........and people are going into year 2 waiting for it.

Just my two cents.
o_O
Interesting read here: https://www.visualcapitalist.com/global-chip-shortage-impact-on-american-automakers/

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Tesla Model Y, Zero DSR/X, '69 CJ5
Occupation
Product Management
Yeah, this is all pretty silly.

For one thing, Camp Kitchen has generated tons of publicity and no doubt attracted buyers. It's a big part of what hooked me into learning more about the vehicle. It also seems to be a pretty popular (and no doubt healthy-margin) add-on with preorder holders, which will help secure the price floor for other buyers. I get that you don't like it, but you're projecting your opinion onto everyone without evidence. I'm pretty stoked for mine.

Second, as others have noted, the (no doubt comparatively small) product crew working on Camp Kitchen isn't just a fungible resource that could have sped up delivery of the vehicle if they'd been reallocated. That's not how product development works. There's no evidence that the delays have anything to do with staffing problems or resource gaps in the first place.

I've worked on lots of products where customers have complained to the effect of "why are building feature X that nobody wants, instead of building feature Y!?!" and the answer is pretty much universally some combination of:
  1. We have good evidence that you're wrong about nobody wanting Feature X
  2. The people building Feature X are not transferable to making Feature Y happen faster
  3. Feature Y has labyrinthine dependencies which have to be resolved before it is complete, whereas Feature X can proceed independently in the meantime

wicked2112

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Clubs

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
there are many, many engineering managers/PMs who need to hear this, everywhere ?
Sponsored