First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Adventure
Occupation
Music&Tech
It ‘was’ in reference to my use over last summer. Still own it but not currently on my truck and I expect to replace it with a different (more winter friendly) solution sOOn.
there was another thread that showed some set ups and lifts, but for those of you with hardshell tents that are fairly heavy, how do you take it on and off? Just get a couple of friends to come over and help?

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

there was another thread that showed some set ups and lifts, but for those of you with hardshell tents that are fairly heavy, how do you take it on and off? Just get a couple of friends to come over and help?
The X-Cover is hybrid, hard top/bottom and soft sides and the Mini weighs about 120 lbs. I can easily take it off myself, I can see that being difficult for a lot of people but with a friend fairly easy IMO. I usually get help to put it back on.

Sponsored

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Tesla Model Y, Zero DSR/X, '69 CJ5
Occupation
Product Management
I've posted pretty extensively about it previously, but I'll link it here and summarize for this thread. I recommend a hardshell tent like the Skycamp Mini or the Condor Overland, or a hybrid tent with crossbars like the X-Cover Mini. They'll be more stable in winds, should be more durable over time, and usually have options for mounting accessories.

I personally use the Roofnest Condor Overland which has accessory rails and optional crossbars. I mount my Maxtrax Extreme, a shovel, and an axe directly to the tent, and carry my skis on top in the winter for ski camping. This has minimal aero impact, looks cool, and makes it really easy to store on a hoist and just pop it on for a trip.

My thread on the Condor Overland: Roofnest Condor Overland Roof Top Tent (RTT) + R1T

My storage solution: Rooftop tent storage solution for Rivian R1T

Some photos:
Rivian R1T R1S Calling all R1T roof tent owners 1673282860422

Rivian R1T R1S Calling all R1T roof tent owners 1673282917737

Rivian R1T R1S Calling all R1T roof tent owners 1673282955569

Inkedsphynx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 LE R1T, '21 CB500FA, '21 CMX1100A
Oh man, those maxtrax are a way better color option than my sets. I've got black, which looks pretty decent, and bright fucking orange which looks horrible on the outside of the vehicle (but is obviously preferable for recovery, so you don't lose them in the mud). May have to bite the bullet and pick up 2 more sets in a color like you've got and sell off my black/orange sets. Maybe keep the black since they 'came with the truck'.

WSea

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Outback
Occupation
Architect
I've posted pretty extensively about it previously, but I'll link it here and summarize for this thread. I recommend a hardshell tent like the Skycamp Mini or the Condor Overland, or a hybrid tent with crossbars like the X-Cover Mini. They'll be more stable in winds, should be more durable over time, and usually have options for mounting accessories.

I personally use the Roofnest Condor Overland which has accessory rails and optional crossbars. I mount my Maxtrax Extreme, a shovel, and an axe directly to the tent, and carry my skis on top in the winter for ski camping. This has minimal aero impact, looks cool, and makes it really easy to store on a hoist and just pop it on for a trip.

My thread on the Condor Overland: Roofnest Condor Overland Roof Top Tent (RTT) + R1T

Some photos:
1673282860422.png

1673282917737.png

1673282955569.png
Looks great Kyle! I also have the Overland but haven't set it up yet. Any recommendations for attaching accessories? The hardshell apparently is set up for M8 bolts.
Did you apply for the RoofNest EV credit?

camaroz1985

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4
Occupation
Engineer

Some photos:
1673282860422.png

1673282917737.png

1673282955569.png
Too bad they don't make a Condor Overland XL.

My wife gave the go ahead to order a tent, just have to find the right 4 person tent. The Condor XL is the leader for me right now.

Sponsored

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Product Management
Looks great Kyle! I also have the Overland but haven't set it up yet. Any recommendations for attaching accessories? The hardshell apparently is set up for M8 bolts.
M8 bolts worked well for me. Roofnest recommends these ones: uxcell M8x16mm Hex Bolts, uxcell Hex Lock Nuts.

For the MaxTrax, I am using Rivian's crossbar mount - the diagonal channels made it super easy to mount to the side of the tent with M8 bolts at the right width. I really wanted to use the Expedition Essentials mount which would be a lot simpler to lock (I use four small keyed padlocks with the Rivian mount), but it's not available for the Extreme... yet.

For the axe, I'm using the Warrior Products QuickLatch Axe/Shovel Mount. Works great, super flexible universal mount. I lock it with a 1UP USA Wheel Lock.

For the shovel, I'm using the DMOS shovel & mount and drilled holes to match the RTT accessory rails. Work well enough if you have a DMOS shovel, otherwise something like the QuickLatch above would work.

Note - with everything above mounted as I have it distributed, the tent is too heavy to stay fully open (sags a bit over time). I just remove the MaxTrax (which I keep on the ladder side) before opening the tent.

You will have to watch where you position things to make sure you clear the crossbars & truck bed rails when it's open. My shovel fits between the crossbars on the hinge side when open, and the Maxtrax would not, so I have them on the ladder side. There isn't really room to mount anything on the cab side. Usability wise it would probably have made more sense to put the Maxtrax on the tailgate side, but there is a little bit of a taper to the tent there and I didn't want like the aesthetic/aero impact of having the boards back there.

Did you apply for the RoofNest EV credit?
Yep, took a few weeks but otherwise I had no issues.

Last edited:

WSea

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Outback
Occupation
Architect
M8 bolts worked well for me. Roofnest recommends these ones: uxcell M8x16mm Hex Bolts, uxcell Hex Lock Nuts.

For the MaxTrax, I am using Rivian's crossbar mount - the diagonal channels made it super easy to mount to the side of the tent with M8 bolts at the right width. I really wanted to use the Expedition Essentials mount which would be a lot simpler to lock (I use four small keyed padlocks with the Rivian mount), but it's not available for the Extreme... yet.

For the axe, I'm using the Warrior Products QuickLatch Axe/Shovel Mount. Works great, super flexible universal mount. I lock it with a 1UP USA Wheel Lock.

For the shovel, I'm using the DMOS shovel & mount and drilled holes to match the RTT accessory rails. Work well enough if you have a DMOS shovel, otherwise something like the QuickLatch above would work.

Note - with everything above mounted as I have it distributed, the tent is too heavy to stay fully open (sags a bit over time). I just remove the MaxTrax (which I keep on the ladder side) before opening the tent.

You will have to watch where you position things to make sure you clear the crossbars & truck bed rails when it's open. My shovel fits between the crossbars on the hinge side when open, and the Maxtrax would not, so I have them on the ladder side. There isn't really room to mount anything on the cab side. Usability wise it would probably have made more sense to put the Maxtrax on the tailgate side, but there is a little bit of a taper to the tent there and I didn't want like the aesthetic/aero impact of having the boards back there.

Yep, took a few weeks but otherwise I had no issues.
Thanks Kyle! Great info and I appreciate you sharing your experience. Will definetly save me time.

EVTrukHog

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150, Explorer, Corvette C6
That looks really great. which model iKamper is that, and does it comfortably fit two adults?
Skycamp 3.0 Mini
It will fit two adults easily

kevincrain

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian Blue R1T, Launch Edition
Occupation
Mech. Eng.
Are padlocks with the Rivian maxtrax mount the best solution? Is there any noise or rattle with them while on the road or trail? I don't know if there's a different/better option, but figured I'd ask anyway, just in case there were other ideas out there? Thanks!

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Product Management
Are padlocks with the Rivian maxtrax mount the best solution? Is there any noise or rattle with them while on the road or trail? I don't know if there's a different/better option, but figured I'd ask anyway, just in case there were other ideas out there? Thanks!
No noise or rattle that I've noticed.

It's not a perfect solution but my complaints are minor -
  1. Minor hassle to unlock four locks every time you remove the boards (which I need to in order to open my tent, just because they're so heavy). You don't really need four locks, except:
  2. It's pretty minimal security. Maxtrax are expensive and you could snip these locks in a couple seconds with a bolt cutter, so I use four just to slow down any opportunists.
  3. These locks don't have any cover for the keyhole, so I have a minor concern about dust/crud ingress over time blocking mechanism. (Fortunately they are pretty cheap, so #2 is available as a migitation...)
They're the best solution I've found for the MaxTrax extremes. If I had regular MaxTrax, I'd probably go for something like this as a better solution - more robust lock, less of a hassle to use, looks nice. Not currently available for Extreme boards though. Recovery Board Quick Mount (Maxtrax Mount) for Maxtrax MKII - Expedition Essentials
Sponsored