First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, Volvo XC 90
Occupation
Engineer
I am a recent newcomer to the Rivian world having made my deposit in mid-March. I have serious concerns about shelling out what will end up being $90k for an SUV that is made by a new manufacturer to the point that I am considering putting $100 on a Model X or buying a Model Y in the near future. For me, $90k is a lot of money. I am giving up a reliable 2019 Cayenne when I trade it in. Sure, it will be getting close to the end of the warranty period, but that is a different discussion. Also, this will be our first EV. So, as my wife asked today after she test drove the Model Y, why do you need this car? Ultimately, I decided on making the deposit because I liked the vehicle AND the deposit was fully refundable. I like the idea that RJ floated into the ether about this company. I also think the shape of the R1S is more usable than the Model X or smaller Model Y. Plus, the R1S with the max pack should get over 400 "claimed" miles per charge. The Model X is at 360. So, I will likely wait for the max pack, but that is definitely putting this SUV into the 90k range. The other issue is that I am probably not seeing my Rivian until 2023 based on what a lot of the other members of this and the other forum have told me due to how late I made my deposit. So, that is another reason why I may end up switching to Tesla. If I knew I was getting the Rivian in early 2022, I would stand pat. But, new manufacturer, $90k, may not see it until 2023 ... things may change. The other posters have made great points as to why the company itself should be on financially stable ground. Personally, it is worth the risk to me, but I may not have the patience to wait another year-and-a-half.
While we know that Tesla is going to be around for a long time, their focus is on delivering as many vehicles as fast as they possibly can ... not building the highest quality car possible. Tesla rankings in Consumer Reports is shameful for a company that has the combined valuation of everyone else combined. For some strange reason, based on my Model S owner experience ... I think the Rivian is going to be a better ownership experience with the exception of the charging network. Talking to a friends with a newer Model S, I was disappointed to hear they have had way more mechanical issues than I ever had. It doesn't seem like Tesla is continuously improving the reliability of the cars like a Toyota would.

So if you need a car that farts, get a Tesla. If you want something reliable, I'm going to give Rivian a try or stick with a well known hybrid.
Sponsored

Gshenderson

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla S 85D, 2019 4Runner TRD Offroad, R1T
While we know that Tesla is going to be around for a long time, their focus is on delivering as many vehicles as fast as they possibly can ... not building the highest quality car possible. Tesla rankings in Consumer Reports is shameful for a company that has the combined valuation of everyone else combined. For some strange reason, based on my Model S owner experience ... I think the Rivian is going to be a better ownership experience with the exception of the charging network. Talking to a friends with a newer Model S, I was disappointed to hear they have had way more mechanical issues than I ever had. It doesn't seem like Tesla is continuously improving the reliability of the cars like a Toyota would.

So if you need a car that farts, get a Tesla. If you want something reliable, I'm going to give Rivian a try or stick with a well known hybrid.
This has been my experience as well. Iā€™ve had very few issues with my Tesla, but until recently they were all handled above and beyond my expectations. But lately things have gone south on service. I now have an inoperable door handle, that starting acting up just out of warrantee, that will cost me over $1,000 to replace and they wonā€™t even give me a time estimate for when they can do it. They were, and still are, totally unprepared for the mass market of the lower priced 3 and Y.

n8dgr8

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
This has been my experience as well. Iā€™ve had very few issues with my Tesla, but until recently they were all handled above and beyond my expectations. But lately things have gone south on service. I now have an inoperable door handle, that starting acting up just out of warrantee, that will cost me over $1,000 to replace and they wonā€™t even give me a time estimate for when they can do it. They were, and still are, totally unprepared for the mass market of the lower priced 3 and Y.
Yep, 3 of 4 of my door handles went bust. 2 out of warranty. There is an aftermarket gear you can buy for $165 to rebuild the door handle yourself. Rebuilding the door handle is easy. Getting the handle back on the door is another story... Took me about 2 hours total. Way better than dealing with the Service Center. If they haven't done it already, make sure you get the memory replaced. Tons of infotainment issues went away. Always check to make sure the onboard charge works at the Super Charger before going on long trips. (We had to limp home from Canada with a failed onboard charger).

Gshenderson

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla S 85D, 2019 4Runner TRD Offroad, R1T
Yep, 3 of 4 of my door handles went bust. 2 out of warranty. There is an aftermarket gear you can buy for $165 to rebuild the door handle yourself. Rebuilding the door handle is easy. Getting the handle back on the door is another story... Took me about 2 hours total. Way better than dealing with the Service Center. If they haven't done it already, make sure you get the memory replaced. Tons of infotainment issues went away. Always check to make sure the onboard charge works at the Super Charger before going on long trips. (We had to limp home from Canada with a failed onboard charger).
They sent me a recall notice on the memory chip that said theyā€™d contact me to schedule a time to replace it. That was 6 months ago. I looked at some YouTube videos on fixing the door handle myself, but it looked like a major PITA. Lots of stuff crammed into a very small and not easily accessible space. Please post links to any videos that make it look easier! Iā€™m not one to shy away from doing my own repairs, but what I saw looked like it required a contortionist with specialized tools.

n8dgr8

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
They sent me a recall notice on the memory chip that said theyā€™d contact me to schedule a time to replace it. That was 6 months ago. I looked at some YouTube videos on fixing the door handle myself, but it looked like a major PITA. Lots of stuff crammed into a very small and not easily accessible space. Please post links to any videos that make it look easier! Iā€™m not one to shy away from doing my own repairs, but what I saw looked like it required a contortionist with specialized tools.
Contortionist - yes, sacrificing hand and finger skin - yes, special tools - no.

Sponsored

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

The long and short of it for me is the difference between Elon and RJ. I love them both. Both are visionary guys.

Elon seems to have dreams to rule the world and explore the universe beyond. His EVs have been revolutionary, as has been his method for producing them. The same can be said for his developement of the proprietary charging infrastructure to run his vehicles.

RJ is a car guy who earned his PhD in Automotive Engineering from MIT. He has utilized a more traditional approach to slowly developing and refining the process of bringing his vehicles to market. He has also found business and investment partners to help fund and symbiotically support his business model well into the future. On top of that, RJ has embraced a generally-accepted standard for EV charging, and has dedicated resources to expand that network across the nation.

If I want to cruise the outer reaches of the Moon or Mars, Elon is my guy. For exploring Earth, I'm on Team RJ. It's all quite logical to me.

Adventure On, and Prosper! ?

OP
OP
HJP1

HJP1

First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T (sold) Lexus LS460, Cadillac XT5, Lexus IS500
Occupation
retired
I am a recent newcomer to the Rivian world having made my deposit in mid-March. I have serious concerns about shelling out what will end up being $90k for an SUV that is made by a new manufacturer to the point that I am considering putting $100 on a Model X or buying a Model Y in the near future. For me, $90k is a lot of money. I am giving up a reliable 2019 Cayenne when I trade it in. Sure, it will be getting close to the end of the warranty period, but that is a different discussion. Also, this will be our first EV. So, as my wife asked today after she test drove the Model Y, why do you need this car? Ultimately, I decided on making the deposit because I liked the vehicle AND the deposit was fully refundable. I like the idea that RJ floated into the ether about this company. I also think the shape of the R1S is more usable than the Model X or smaller Model Y. Plus, the R1S with the max pack should get over 400 "claimed" miles per charge. The Model X is at 360. So, I will likely wait for the max pack, but that is definitely putting this SUV into the 90k range. The other issue is that I am probably not seeing my Rivian until 2023 based on what a lot of the other members of this and the other forum have told me due to how late I made my deposit. So, that is another reason why I may end up switching to Tesla. If I knew I was getting the Rivian in early 2022, I would stand pat. But, new manufacturer, $90k, may not see it until 2023 ... things may change. The other posters have made great points as to why the company itself should be on financially stable ground. Personally, it is worth the risk to me, but I may not have the patience to wait another year-and-a-half.
I have a Tesla model 3 performance and by far the best vehicle I have ever owned and I have owned a lot of cars! Bottom line If you end up with a Tesla you won't be disappointed. I have a deposit on the R1S 12/2019 because I am trying to get down to two vehicles one for me one for my wife, kids are long gone and on their own. That being said I would like my one main everyday driver to be a larger utility type vehicle that still is a thrill to drive. I considered putting a deposit on the cyber truck but never did and the wait time will probably be longer than I am willing. I contacted Rivian about delivery and all they would tell me is that the priority will be the R1T and geographic location. I told them I am in Illinois and could pick up at factory, same response repeated.....I did ask if I switched to the R1T would I get it sooner and the indication was that I would. We are supposed to have first contact with our spirit, sorry Rivian guides sometime in May and June and apparently with more information, stay tuned!

suvowner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ram 1500 Subaru Outback Tesla model y
Occupation
healthcare
one option is to just lease a model y for 24 months, hopefully that gives Rivian ample time to get you a vehicle before the lease is up. I am tired of waiting for an ev, so that is what I did. I will keep my ram 1500 as I still need a truck, and when I get the Rivian will sell the ram, and maybe my wife will drive the y until the lease is done. she insists on a having a ice vehicle (Subaru Outback) in the family until there are fast chargers as plentiful as gas stations, as we have family to visit where there are no chargers in sight which still makes ev very impractical.

hola29

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
You are going to have to figure out your risk tolerance. I have mentioned this before, but I would not recommend a LE Rivian to most of my friends and family. It is a 1.0 car from a 1.0 company...If it is totally smooth sailing, great. But I am not going to rant/rave if some issues come up.

If price & reliability are absolute #1's then perhaps a different car.

For me, it is exactly the car I was hoping for (minus a few small complaints) and I plan on working with Rivian to address anything that comes up. So for me cool and features #1, followed by reliability, and then finally costs. Don't tell RJ but I probably would have spent more...lol.

Sponsored