Vehicles
BMW X3, BMW X5
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Hi all,

We’re in the Pasadena area.

We’ve a Forest Green.

We had a minor repair of a couple of dents in the right rear corner below the tail lamp.

We used CARSTAR in Pasadena. They are not Rivian certified.

They did a great job and did have to repaint even though the paint itself was not scratched.

Cost: $4k, done in 5 days

Also got an estimate from the Rivian authorized shop in Silver Lake (LA), whose estimate was $9.1k and 12+ business days. And they felt a need to paint the undamaged tail gate because they needed to blend paint there too. Whatever.

Best
Sponsored

capitolm94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Did they have to replace any panels? Sounds like the main issue is that Rivian won’t sell parts to a non approved shop.

DADDYSLILGRANDPA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 R1S FG/OC 22's , 2023 Tesla Model 3
Blending the tailgate is the proper way to repair. Congrats on paying less I guess?

BCondrey

First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
IT
I was told that Rivian would not sell body parts to non-certified shops, and that includes paint. Of course, a Rivian certified shop told me this. I agree it is a racket. The certification from Rivian is a license to charge whatever the hell the body shop wants. The inflated prices are why my insurance totaled my last R1T due to damage isolated to one rear quarter panel. Body shop told me that similar damage on a Tacoma would be $5,000. On my Rivian? $42,000.

R1Thor

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23QM R1T, Limestone + Ocean Coast, 21" & UBS
Occupation
Mechanical Engineering Lead
Clubs

Body shops don't need to buy paint from Rivian. There's very few and far between super specialized paints that can't be replicated by standard means.

A good body shop will be able to color match your vehicle without an issue. It just takes patience and iteration to get the paint to match perfectly.

I also messed up my tailgate beyond what PDR could fix and didn't want to pay exorbitant prices. So, I asked around and found a body shop who was up to the task. Truck looks like nothing ever happened to it!
Sponsored