Sponsored

Average Rivian Insurance in California

mkg3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Unagi, Radio Flyer and Kette Car
Clubs

I think people should talk to their agents about the deductibles. When I changed to 2k deductible 6 years ago we had 3 vehicles, I was savings 1200 a year between the 3 vehicles so after 2 years of no claims I would be ahead of the game. I have not talked to my agent recently but if the 1200 is still accurate over the 6 years it is 7200 saved.
Exactly.

I looked into higher deductible and the difference was so small, settled on $1K collision and $500 comp.

The way I think about this is that just about any accident will cost significantly more than the deductible so if that happens the one time hit on the higher deductible is much better than recurring higher premium. And, I'm good to pay couple of thousand out of pocket for small repairs, if needed, than take a hit on the insurance premium increase for all insured vehicles thereafter.
Sponsored

nukem384

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3/Rivian R1S
About $2k/year with Mercury. It's not you, it's just greedy insurance in general. My agent was telling me it's a terrible time in CA right now for insurance. Companies are pulling out of CA because of all the fires and natural disasters that have happened over the last few years. The premiums aren't covering all these claims, so what do they do, raise everyone's premiums that have nothing to do these disasters. She said hopefully in the next year or two, premiums will go back down. I'm not holding my breath on that one, cause insurance.

AA_Rivian_Socal

First Name
Alaa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Forest Green R1T Adv. / BM / 20 AT
Occupation
management
Clubs

almost 1600 for 6 months with Rivian insurance... deductibles at 500/500. adding it to existing progressive policy would have been only 700-800 more but chose to go with Rivian for this term because I was in the middle of a glass coverage claim. I talked with Rivian insurance they recommended that I cancel and go with another insurer since they also said nationwide is very high in California.
expect to sell within 2 months anyways.

sfvR1S

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S Quad Adventure 2022 Chevy Bolt EUV
Occupation
CRE
Clubs

In Los Angeles, with State Farm, multi-vehicle/home policy. I was paying ~$950 for 12 months for a 2016 4R TRD Pro. It increased to over $2k with an R1S.

Before I purchased the Rivian, I called SF and asked how much my insurance would increase if I replaced the Toyota with the R1S and they said $200/year....morons.

HaveBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S DMP Max, Lifted GX470, APR Audi A7, BMW 325Ci
Clubs

Hold on to your pants. No accidents or tickets in my family. 6 month premiums. So Cal

Rivian (Nationwide) $500K/$1Kded
Rivian: $1730
2006 BMW: $947
2007 GX470: $4011 !!!
2014 A7: $4653 !!!
You read it right $11,000 for six months!

State Farm my current carrier with lots of other things bundled $1M/$2K
Rivian: $1000 ($1200 for 1Kded)
The GX and A7 cost about $500 each.

Keep in mind why new cars are expensive to insure. Obviously cost of the vehicle but also repairs. A $150 windshield for an old car is $4K for a Rivian. Fender, bumpers and grills are also crazy to replace. This is because all the calibrated sensors have to be replaced and programmed so that Driver+, Autopilot, Bluecruise etc will work. A set of rear taillights for a Bluecruise equipped F150 are $6000.

Insurance commissioner is elected in California. That means all decisions are short sighted to get reelected. Essentially they have made writing insurance in California untenable for insurance companies. State Farm halted writing real estate policies and said they were exiting. Had a long talk with my broker about the stupidity imposed on insurance companies. Overnight 30% of the market disappeared. Tough to buy a house when you can't get insurance.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Ngkgb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
I dont know if im mistaken or not, but it looks like through Mercury I’m laying about 750 every 6 months. Less than we’re paying for our Mach-E. Car is parked in Irvine.

Edit: Renewed in September. I’m 44 and wife is 42. No accidents.

Last edited:

Ev11

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Limestone
Came here to check if I’m the only one getting a sticker shock for 2024 premiums.

With AAA (bundling with home insurance), $500K/$500ded it was $2350 for 2023. I just got the bill for 2024, it jumped to $3000 with no change whatsoever, no accident, no ticket.

goldburger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
A friend is in the purchasing process for his R1S and Rivian insurance quoted him $2,800 for 6 months! Travelers came in at half that price, which is in line with my recent USAA insurance change, but I also lost a lot of discounts recently. Was paying $900 for 6 months :(

Karltrep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘23 R1S, ‘20 Tesla MY, ‘67 Porsche 912
Occupation
Car enthusiast
This subject is so hard to compare apples to apples because so many variables.

In my case, we pay $480/6 month or $960/yr with full coverage, including max liability coverage. The cost just went up at our last renewal from ~$400/6 month. Our deductible for collision is $1,000 and comp is $500.

The thing is, we have 5 vehicles on the policy, our home, good driver and safety equipment discounts, and one more vehicle than the total number of drivers in the household. R1S is the spare vehicle.

All that said we are insured through Costco and they no longer are writing new auto policy in CA.

Your age and zip code matters too.

So, the insurance cost is one of those that you really can't do much about...
Hi, I have Costco Connect insurance, in Orange County, 5 cars+house, all discounts, 2k$ deductible, zero claims or tickets.

Last renewal, the R1S went from 600$/6mo to 1214$/6mo.

i guess I have some room to negotiate with them to get closer

Sponsored

mkg3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

Hi, I have Costco Connect insurance, in Orange County, 5 cars+house, all discounts, 2k$ deductible, zero claims or tickets.

Last renewal, the R1S went from 600$/6mo to 1214$/6mo.

i guess I have some room to negotiate with them to get closer
Just a quick thought on this.

Even though we live in the same county, I'm certain that zip codes make big difference. In other words, beach cities like NB, HB must be higher than sleepy bedroom communities like RSM and Coto due to overall frequency of claims.

Its also how old you are and the drivers are.

That's why I originally said its so hard to compare apples to apples on rates.

Karltrep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘23 R1S, ‘20 Tesla MY, ‘67 Porsche 912
Occupation
Car enthusiast
If this can help others on here

Just called them and got it down to 550$/6mo

Turns out they assign drivers to cars on the policy and the R1S was orphaned (more cars than drivers, just following my therapist’s advice ;) )
I assigned my wife on the R1S and that did the trick :)

mzdds

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Tesla Model S, 2023 R1S
Occupation
Dentist
Here is mine (South Orange County), I do have Homeowner's through Safeco as well:

Damage from a Collision Incident

Covered by Collision
Collision coverage pays for damage to your vehicle when it collides with another vehicle or object (e.g., a tree, a guardrail).
For example, if you hit another car, moving or parked, or you hit a tree that has fallen into the road, collision coverage will kick in to pay the cost of repairing or replacing your vehicle, after you pay your deductible.
If you have comprehensive and collision coverage, your protection extends to when you are driving a rental car as well. Please review your policy documents for a complete understand of your coverage when you are driving a car other than your own.
$1,000out of pocket
$534.60premium per year

Damage from a Non-Collision Incident
Covered by Comprehensive
Comprehensive coverage pays for damages to your vehicle due to fire, hail, theft, vandalism, or impact with an animal.
After certain events, comprehensive coverage kicks in to pay the cost, minus your deductible, of repairing or replacing your vehicle. The complete list of damage types that are covered by comprehensive are listed in your policy documents.
If you have comprehensive and collision coverage, your protection extends to when you are driving a rental car as well. Please review your policy documents for a complete understand of your coverage when you are driving a car other than your own.
$1,000out of pocket
$111.10premium per year

Rental Car Reimbursement
Covered by Rental Vehicle Reimbursement
If you file a comprehensive or collision claim, you are covered for Rental Car Reimbursement with this optional coverage. We will provide a rental vehicle if your vehicle needs repairs after an accident.
Your rental is covered until your vehicle is repaired at one of our Guaranteed Repair Network facilities, or a shop of your choice. Daily limits apply, so you may not get the same type of vehicle you normally drive.
$50per day
$1,200per accident
$34.80premium per year

Windshield Repair
Covered by Full Glass
Part of Comprehensive coverage, Vehicle Windshield Repair coverage pays to repair any damaged glass on your vehicle’s windshield, if necessary.
For example, if you get a chip or crack in your windshield, this coverage will cover the cost to repair your windshield at no expense to you.

Roadside Assistance
Covered by Roadside Assistance
If your vehicle breaks down, we won’t leave you stranded. Roadside assistance will tow your vehicle to the nearest qualified repair shop, change a flat tire, deliver gas and other essential fluids. We’ll also jumpstart your battery or send a locksmith if you’re locked out of your vehicle.

$5.80premium per year

Other Driver's Well Being
Covered by Bodily Injury
Helps pay for bodily injury expenses, like hospital bills and medical care, that you may be held responsible to pay if you cause an accident that injures another driver or another vehicle's passengers.
$500,000per person
$500,000per accident
$246.30premium per year

Other Vehicle's Damage
Covered by Property Damage
When you are found legally responsible for a vehicle accident, this coverage pays for costs associated with repairing or replacing another person's property.
$500,000per occurence
$242.70premium per year

Medical Payments
Covered by Medical Payments
After an accident, the last thing that should be on your mind is how you’ll pay for your injuries. This coverage pays for your initial medical expenses related to the accident, regardless of who is at fault. Passengers in your vehicle are also covered.
Medical Payments covers everything from ambulance transportation to the hospital to emergency room care, as well as the initial hospital stay and other reasonable medical expenses.
$5,000per accident
$26.60premium per year

Uninsured Motorist Coverage
Covered by Uninsured Motorist Coverage
Getting in an accident is no fun, and it can be worse if the other driver doesn’t have insurance. If you have uninsured motorist coverage (UM), you’re protected in an accident if the at-fault driver is uninsured.
UM coverage changes from state-to-state, so your coverage is unique. For a full breakdown of what is included in your coverage see your Declarations Page.
$500,000per person
$500,000per accident
$120.80premium per year

First Aid Treatment
Covered by Reimbursement for First Aid
All Safeco auto policies include coverage for reimbursement of first aid administered to others after an accident.

mkg3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

If this can help others on here

Just called them and got it down to 550$/6mo

Turns out they assign drivers to cars on the policy and the R1S was orphaned (more cars than drivers, just following my therapist’s advice ;) )
I assigned my wife on the R1S and that did the trick :)
Great!

Forgot to mention that. They assign the primary driver for each vehicle and mileage/yr too.

We're on the same boat. One more vehicle than licensed drivers. So our Rivian is the extra/pleasure use vehicle with myself being the driver but I'm the primary driver on another vehicle so they realize that I cannot drive two cars at once. :)

HaveBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S DMP Max, Lifted GX470, APR Audi A7, BMW 325Ci
Clubs

You can save a few hundred by bumping the deductible to 2k or something
Sponsored