First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
VW Group, Stellantis, Toyota-Lexus, Mazda, Subaru and Lucid.
They will all eventually cave.. except for Toyota who might say they've decided against electrification in any vehicle going forward only to reverse that one year later :facepalm:

mkg3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Unagi, Radio Flyer and Kette Car
Clubs

VW and Stellantis both have said they are looking/evaluating it.

Toyota-Lexsus-Subaru are just getting started with EVs. Since Toyota owns large percentage of Subaru (Soterra is BZ4), both will go together, if at all.

Mazda has no EVs to speak so they can wait and see, if NACS brings value to them.

Lucid doesn't matter - they probably will not survive...

Sponsored

ElGuapo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S - April 2021 preorder
The issue with all of this is the super chargers Tesla has are incredibly overcrowded today with just Teslas. Getting access really won’t be helpful. I saw a line of 4 Teslas waiting for the Newark, NJ SCs over the weekend and there are 6-8 chargers there. Insane.

I am also convinced the cost will be higher for non-Teslas and it’s already high today if you have to pay. Or at least on par on with EA, EVgo, etc.

OP
OP
ohseedee

ohseedee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Yeah, those are companies that exist and are technically building "EVs," but in terms of pure-EVs on CCS with shipment volumes of any real significance...I stand by my statement of VW Group standing alone :)

Rob Stark

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla Model S
Yeah, those are companies that exist and are technically building "EVs," but in terms of pure-EVs on CCS with shipment volumes of any real significance...I stand by my statement of VW Group standing alone :)
They are the biggest of those remaining outside the NACS alliance but in Q3 US BEV market share VW Group had 6.5% share according to Cox Automotive.

Not a whole lot in the grand scheme of things.

Last edited:

Rob Stark

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla Model S
Lucid doesn't matter - they probably will not survive...
PiF's backing of Lucid seems more solid than Bezos backing of Rivian.

The Saudis really want to be in the EV business.

I give Lucid and Rivian about equal chance of surviving.

Even though being in the off-road Pickup and SUV market plus the commercial delivery van market offers much better prospects than being in the sports sedan and soon sports CUV market.

Sponsored

solaskaze

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X,3, R1T Duo Max
The issue with all of this is the super chargers Tesla has are incredibly overcrowded today with just Teslas. Getting access really won’t be helpful. I saw a line of 4 Teslas waiting for the Newark, NJ SCs over the weekend and there are 6-8 chargers there. Insane.

I am also convinced the cost will be higher for non-Teslas and it’s already high today if you have to pay. Or at least on par on with EA, EVgo, etc.
There are plenty of non-full SCs -- it's definitely helpful, and current entire deployed fleet of non-Teslas that will have an adapter (or CCS/NACS SC or eventually a NACS port) won't add much to the queues to already seen, right now. In exchange, the intent must be that all companies involved push NACS variants forward for the long term vision, not that they cross their fingers and hope Tesla builds all SCs, for everyone, forever.

SASSquatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i3s Ford C-Max Hybrid
Occupation
Semi-Autonomous Yeti
Clubs

lol fixed the above quote.

Also @SASSquatch 🍻🍻
Son of a ..... 🤬

Remember, I just have to find one OEM still manufacturing a vehicle with CCS. While they are indicating they will support NACS - none of them have definitively said they will not also have a CCS port. Since the "Big 7" are building a 30,000 charger network with CCS and NACS, I wouldn't be surprised at all if somebody keeps the CCS port - especially if it gives them a competitive advantage such as for 800v charging or V2G which Tesla isn't planning on supporting.