Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

It has its own toilet? šŸ˜²

I love to go camping but have never felt like I needed to bring a toilet!
We are going to be doing more dispersed camping. Either you bring a toilet or you poop in the woods.
Sponsored

OP
OP
JoelD

JoelD

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
idlethoughts.blog
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt, Rivian R1T LE (delivered 6/28/22)
Occupation
Retired
It has its own toilet? šŸ˜²

I love to go camping but have never felt like I needed to bring a toilet!
A ā€œcassette toiletā€ which is hooked to the water system for flushing. It has a small holding tank which can be dumped in a campground toilet or an RV dump station. Convenient for middle of the night pee trips.

OP
OP
JoelD

JoelD

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
idlethoughts.blog
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
The bed is usually not an issue. For instance the queen in our Trailmanor is big. The trailer is 7'11" wide and the walls are 2" laminated aluminum panels so plenty of width. There's actually 4" space on each side of the mattress to stretch out even more. Issue is usually height which is 6'4" when open. I'm 5'10" though. Some people don't like having to crawl over their partner at night. I sleep through so also not an issue.

2720qb.png
Hereā€™s the Aliner floor plan

Rivian R1T R1S Blue Ridge Parkway weekend trip with R1T towing new Aliner camper IMG_0123

blackda3

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1996 Lexus LX450 (Land Cruiser)
Occupation
Paralegal
We have been towing our 2017 Aliner Explorer with our 1996 LX450. It's similar in size but has a full bath (wife's requirement). Our Aliner has the 10.5k btu Cool-Cat heat pump. Originally, the unit had 40-45 amp surge (locked rotation amps/LRA) when starting the air conditioning. Look into products called soft start electronic controls. I purchased a unit from Micro-Air. It delays the air conditioning from starting up right away and it's possible to run the system with a 15 amp power supply. I'm hoping, once our R1S is delivered, to charge overnight in RV parks and have air conditioning as needed.

HaveBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S DMP Max, Lifted GX470, APR Audi A7, BMW 325Ci
Clubs

I could get the AC to run off my Yamaha ef 2400 if I set it to fan first for about 10 seconds allowing the cap to charge before switching to ac.

Sponsored

drs8352

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Thanks for the post itā€™ll come in handy as Iā€™ll be looking at campers in the next year or so. You swung by our campsite at Ricky Knob. R1T with RTT. RTT is primarily my man cave for fishing, doesnā€™t suit the wife. Next time we meet up, letā€™s break bread.
Safe adventures.

Lil'O Annie

First Name
Becky
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicles
R1T LE/LG/FE, 2022 Lariat Lightning
Occupation
Farming, semi-retired
Joel, now that you've had the Aliner for a season, how are you feeling about the build quality, etc.? I'm seriously looking at the new Aliner Amp because I like the idea of all electric with good boon-docking potential. I do have concerns about a-frames in geneal for a few reasons like; water leaks, dust intrusion and build quality. I haven't seen any of the Aliners in person as yet to check the build quality, so hesitate to just order an Amp sight unseen. Is the underbelly well sealed so mice can't get inside?? Thanks for your post on the Aliner--your range info is encouraging.

OP
OP
JoelD

JoelD

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
idlethoughts.blog
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Joel, now that you've had the Aliner for a season, how are you feeling about the build quality, etc.? I'm seriously looking at the new Aliner Amp because I like the idea of all electric with good boon-docking potential. I do have concerns about a-frames in geneal for a few reasons like; water leaks, dust intrusion and build quality. I haven't seen any of the Aliners in person as yet to check the build quality, so hesitate to just order an Amp sight unseen. Is the underbelly well sealed so mice can't get inside?? Thanks for your post on the Aliner--your range info is encouraging.
Iā€™ve had a couple of issues but nothing very serious. The bolts on 2 stabilizers broke (my guess is that it was too much torque on a self tapping bolt). They replaced one damaged stabilizer under warranty (I installed it, less hassle to me, and I replaced the bolts on the others). I had an issue with a water leak on the pump, was simply a cover on a filter not sufficiently tight. No leaks in the roof, all works well, and has been thru some very heavy rain. It seals very well when erected. The underbelly looks well sealed (I was under there to replace those stabilizer bolts šŸ˜œ). In general, it seems well built and the lift system works well, and smoothly. The internal systems (fridge, stove, cassette toilet, gas heat, heat pump/AC) work well.

-Joel

Mathme

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T: El Cap, OC, 20AT, Off road package
Occupation
High Tech
Great write up!

I wonder how much efficiency gain there would be if you swapped out the off-road trailer tires for more on-road radial tires? It doesn't already have road tires that is...

Last edited:

Sponsored

Lil'O Annie

First Name
Becky
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicles
R1T LE/LG/FE, 2022 Lariat Lightning
Occupation
Farming, semi-retired
I posted a trip report a little over a week ago (July 21), on camping on the BRP near Meadows of Dan VA. One of the stops on that trip was to look at an Aliner hard side pop up camper. Weā€™d been looking at all sorts of small campers since I got my R1T in June of 2022. We looked at Meerkats, T@b/T@g, and other teardrops. But my wife and I travel with 2 labs, and Iā€™m 6ā€™5ā€ and need some space! Weā€™d seen an Aliner last year and liked it, but found it too pricey. Then we found a new 2023 Aliner Expedition at a dealer in Salem VA for over 30% off, and this was considerably less than a Meerkat or Tab. So we picked it up Friday, charged at the RAN in Roanoke, and drove 50 miles down the BRP to stay at Rocky Knob again.

We used Camp Mode to hook up the ā€œshore powerā€ of the camper to the R1T, taking about 5% SoC overnight to run the lights, fridge, microwave, and a 3 qt Instant Pot to cook chili. Topped off the charge at the Meadows of the Dan RAN, and then went to both Villa Appalaccia and Chateau Morrisette wineries both right off the parkway and within 5 miles of the campground. Again used the R1T to power the camper overnight. It can run everything except the HVAC (a tiny heat pump). But it was mild and we didnā€™t need AC!

For the return trip to Emerald Isle we were hoping for good efficiency and found it. The first 10-15 miles are downhill, but then the route goes thru the Piedmont of VA and NC with lots of up and down on rolling hills. I ran a bit over 55 in 55 mph areas, 60 in a 60, and 62-63 in a 65, with 65 in a 70. So I was being conservative. We started at Meadows of Dan with 98%, and made it to the EA charger in Smithfield (Carolina Outlets) with 12% SOC, and 182 miles traveled. I was pleased. Overall when we got home with an average efficiency of 1.64. This Aliner has a dry weight of about 2350, and we probably had about 250-300 pounds added, for a total,of 2600 to 2700 pounds. The low profile means we donā€™t move as much air. So we are looking at an honest 200 mile range, with a practical range of 175.

IMG_0118.jpeg

IMG_2862.jpeg

IMG_2865.jpeg
Joel...do you still have your Aliner?? AND, if so, now that you've had it for awhile, how has it worked out for you with your R1T?? I'm expecting an Aliner Amp arriving around the end of April which is a similar size to your Expedition. I can live with a 175-200mi range like you first reported. Has that range estimate held true over time??

OP
OP
JoelD

JoelD

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
idlethoughts.blog
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Great write up!

I wonder how much efficiency gain there would be if you swapped out the off-road trailer tires for more on-road radial tires? It doesn't already have road tires that is...
Iā€™ve thought about that, but I donā€™t think it would be worth buying new tires. I just make sure the ones I have are properly inflated.

-Joel
Sponsored