Bed step

Eager2own

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜22 Rivian R1T LE
Just to be clear, the 180 drop tailgate would have been a really cool feature to have, but definitely not necessary. The bed step that I was referring to though, to help with loading the truck bed up with climbing, hiking, biking, kayaks and any other adventure related gear is indicated in the Tacoma below. Surely that is not a generational or cultural change...

Taco step.png
Yes, even my 1996 Ford Ranger had that.
Although not a deal breaker by any means for me, I agree that Iā€™d prefer there was a solution for this. Itā€™s something that only will irk those who truly want to use it as a pick up truck on a daily basis, but I did use the ā€œstepā€ on my Ranger on a daily basis.
Sponsored

time

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, F150 Lighting XLT, Model 3 RWD
As someone that uses my truck for work truck things. This is a genuine issue for me. I hop in/out of my Tundra bed at least 6-7 times on days I'm driving that. Its hard already on the Tundra and I'm well over 6ft. The gear tunnel door as a step might be a solution. It does appear to be low enough. I'd really have to try that out before commuting to this. I can imagine that being nearly impossible to use in the Home Depot parking lot.

For those mentioning Kneel mode, have you used that on other vehicles? Its been around forever and its pretty slow IMO. At least it is on the Rolls and Benz in my experience. That and the travel distance on those vehicles is short. The R1T with a further travel could take quietawhile. Maybe it will be good, but I we haven't seen it operate in person have we? I'm not holding my breath on that feature being anything more than the occasion gimmick that looks cool.

Sean

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T!
Clubs

I'm posting in the hopes that Rivian is stalking this board for customer feedback. They clearly are still making decisions since they said the 180 isn't even an option anymore (even though they clearly featured it for a period of time) and with all the check back later, to be revealed in the future, etc. Customer feedback made them offer dark wheels on LE... why can't it influence this?

I'm in on the Truck but that doesn't mean that I can't push for other things I want. It's not like I got to go over the pro's and con's of the 180 and other design decisions, I can express frustration about a couple aspects and still buy it.

[[RIVIAN - I would happily take a call about any detail if you want to run a focus group, lol, but seriously DM me!]]

twinprice

First Name
Winston
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yukon XL Denali, Tesla Model Y, and LE RS1 - Hopefully!
Clubs

Although I am not in line for the R1T, I do have a 2000 Ford F-150 long-bed with pretty much 0 options (it has roll-up windows for Godā€™s sake!) but I always find myself stepping up on the back tire to get into the bed, or sitting on the tailgate and swiveling around. Am I crazy? Perhaps since this is just our house work truck and get very little usage, I donā€™t use it the same way as everyone else.

acacia328

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Ram Limited, 2010 Ford F-150 Platinum, Honda Odyssey Touring Elite
Although I am not in line for the R1T, I do have a 2000 Ford F-150 long-bed with pretty much 0 options (it has roll-up windows for Godā€™s sake!) but I always find myself stepping up on the back tire to get into the bed, or sitting on the tailgate and swiveling around. Am I crazy? Perhaps since this is just our house work truck and get very little usage, I donā€™t use it the same way as everyone else.

There are a wide variety of ways in which people use their truck beds and tailgates on a day to day basis. None more wrong or right than any other outside of personal preferences in most circumstances.

Do I think it is a short sighted to not have an easy, direct entry/access option from the rear of the vehicle with the tailgate up? Yes.

Are there other ways to get in effectively? Yes

Could it potentially impact how one loads up their bed to account for access options? Sure

Is it a deal breaker or something that will materially impact my final decision? Absolutely not.

Sponsored

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Do I think it is a short sighted to not have an easy, direct entry/access option from the rear of the vehicle with the tailgate up? Yes.

Are there other ways to get in effectively? Yes

Could it potentially impact how one loads up their bed to account for access options? Sure

Is it a deal breaker or something that will materially impact my final decision? Absolutely not.
Agreed. My Sierra had indentations on the corners of the bumper and angled hand-holds on the bed rails to make getting in the bed easier. It was a nice feature, and I used it regularly.

I do hope Rivian implements a solution. But if not, I'm still taking delivery of my R1T!

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

While I pretty much agree with your statement, I am endeavoring to look at this as a matrix equation.

A tailgate step or 180 isn't a litmus test for me, its definitely weighted medium. As an $$$$ adventure truck, loading gear is a big part of the usage.

Its those little annoyances that can grate on you, at what point to the compromises outweigh the performance. A very personal measurement for sure.

All that being said, I am emotionally invested in buying the R1T, I thinks it is fantastic so I am often trying to talk myself out of it to make sure I am not blinded by truck envy.
Well stated, Jeremy.

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

That was my thought... I haven't owned a pickup in over ten years, but I've never had one with any sort of step or ladder or whatever. Some friends have pickups and I think I've seen bumper steps, but they are at the same height as the tire.

I guess we all have our hot buttons when it comes to usability.
I was sorry to see the 180Ā° tailgate bite the dust, but I can easily do without it. As many have stated, that's one or two less things to break. However, the deletion of the espresso machine in the center console forced a hasty retreat to a safe space. "Serenity now, serenity now..."

MichaelW

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jaguar XFR, Ford Mustang GT, Mazda Miata, Smart ForTwo
I've decided to simply stop doing manual labor or things that require loading/unloading heavy objects. It's really going to come in handy when people find out I have a truck and ask me to help them move

thrill

First Name
billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
i3s, (r1t)
I've decided to simply stop doing manual labor or things that require loading/unloading heavy objects. It's really going to come in handy when people find out I have a truck and ask me to help them move
I've got family members already planning their weekends around the use *my* vehicle :rolleyes:

Sponsored

Culebra1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus RX400h, Ford Explorer
This one has me thrown for a loop. I know to each their own, but if people are actually contemplating going with another vehicle over no bed step...

1. You could always open the gear tunnel, step onto the door, then step into the bed.
2. Squat the truck, open the tailgate, and step up onto the tailgate.
3. Sit down on the bed and swing your legs in, then stand up.
4. With your $7500 FTC, but a collapsible step stool that fits neatly into the gear tunnel, frunk, or spare tire compartment, unless you opt to pay for the spare tire that isn't included in your state(unless mandatory by your state)
5. Wait for the 2024 Rivian R3T that has the 180Ā° tailgate with integrated steps, electrochromic all-glass roof, LIDAR, Level 5 ADAS, real animal leather seating surfaces, solid-state batteries, and everything else that is apparently "missing" from this truck.

:D

All jokes aside. While that is a bummer that there are no steps in the bed, we must adapt and overcome or buy the HummerEV with its $7,000 bed with speakers, a light bar, and 3 folding steps and that sweet lunar theme...I look at it as a win-win for me... fewer things to break.
What about getting to that spare tire (should you have one) when your bed is loaded? That's what concerns me a lot more.

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
I think the issue with the 180 degree tailgate was they were going to have to integrate a sensor that would keep the tailgate from hitting a trailer hitch, etc. when lowering the tailgate. I'm guessing that was overlooked and would take more time to integrate.

jimcgov3

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Jacksonville, Florida // Satellite Beach, FL
Vehicles
2017 Tesla Model S 75, Rivian R1T Owner
Clubs

What about getting to that spare tire (should you have one) when your bed is loaded? That's what concerns me a lot more.
That wasn't the topic of the thread so that wasn't an issue to consider. If you search the forum, you will see that members have mocked up a hitch-mounted swing away tire carrier...

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
I think the issue with the 180 degree tailgate was they were going to have to integrate a sensor that would keep the tailgate from hitting a trailer hitch, etc. when lowering the tailgate. I'm guessing that was overlooked and would take more time to integrate.
The GMC Multi-Pro Tailgate flips down and they donā€™t have a sensor to prevent hitting a tow bar. GM just tells their customers not to drop the tailgate down if they are using the hitch.

staples

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Zero FXS, Tesla Y
Clubs

My previous truck was a GMC Sonoma with a very, um "stylish?", roll pan in place of any protruding bumper. If I wanted to step up around the bed, the tire was there. Granted a Sonoma is a rather small pickup truck. In my opinion stepping up on the tailgate or tire was never that tough even if I did it dozens of times in a day. I won't ask them to remove any convenience features, like steps or 180Āŗ tailgates. But the lack of them is not going to be a deal breaker for me.
Sponsored