Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Launch, Subaru Cross trek
Occupation
Enrolled Agent
100%

It is also something that I believe most become "blinded" by. They see the integrated steps in the bumper of the GM trucks, or the crazy 6-way tailgate of the Sierra/HummerEV, or the popout ladder on the F-150 and then wonder why they aren't getting that in a $75,000 truck.

While the 6-way tailgate and popout ladder would work in the case with Rivian, the integrated steps in the bumper sides would create unnecessary drag, breakup the sexy lines, and by a large portion of owners never used.
I agree too. My F150 has the suicide door. Somewhere along the way I thought it would be a good idea with kids. I could not be more aggravated with it. My driveway is slanted and if the wind blows I get the door to my calf while loading the kiddos. It was little things like that that can wreck the whole image of the car. Luckily, I’m in this R1T so deep I’ll figure out a way to load that bed. The four real doors will be like a breath of heaven...
Sponsored

GHuff

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Clubs

On another note, I think this thread exemplifies generational & culture change. I grew up with pickup trucks without bed steps...oh, the horror! If you can climb, hike, bike, kayak, or undertake any sort of "adventure", then you should be able to load/unload or even get yourself up into the back of a subservient truck that even kneels for you.
I think you are missing the point. Yes, bed steps are fairly new. But before bed steps were a thing, you were able to stand on the rear bumper. Rivian has deleted BOTH the rear bumper AND any sort of bed step.

bearcats513

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, Ford Maverick, Chevrolet Bolt
Clubs

WSea

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Outback
Occupation
Architect
I bought a $35.00 hitch step on Amazon for my R1T. Good thing. One week later I was rear ended. Broke a weld on the hitch step but saved the R1T. Easy to replace.
3 pages and finally an easy solution!

Sponsored

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
I bought a $35.00 hitch step on Amazon for my R1T. Good thing. One week later I was rear ended. Broke a weld on the hitch step but saved the R1T. Easy to replace.
Make sure someone looks at your receiver and puts your truck on a frame rack. It could have pulled something out of alignment.

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

Sponsored

deonb

First Name
Deon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 & Model S, Rivian R1T, Ford F350
Occupation
Software Engineer
Does that protrude far enough to step on it with the tailgate open?

prestapost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 RAM 1500, 2022 Rivian R1T
Gear tunnel works well enough for me... definitely better than trying to get into my RAM.

deonb

First Name
Deon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 & Model S, Rivian R1T, Ford F350
Occupation
Software Engineer
No. Only with the tailgate closed.
Ok. So you're supposed to then step over the tailgate? Isn't that higher than just opening the tailgate and stepping on it from the ground?

mikehmb

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
eGolf, i3, R1T
Ok. So you're supposed to then step over the tailgate? Isn't that higher than just opening the tailgate and stepping on it from the ground?
It depends entirely on how you want to access the truck. Hitch steps are useful because you get a leg up, and can swing the other leg over the tailgate. Entering the bed from the tailgate, unless the person has an unholy inseam, requires an extra external step or sit, swing, and squat (which is what I normally do).

My garage is tight, so when I do need to get into the bed (because I need to get to something on the storage bench behind the truck) I’ll use the gear tunnel doors as a step. Works great-ish.
Sponsored