OP

Jmiller929

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus ES Mercedes SUV
You have to look at the big picture. If EV are the future than batteries will become big business. Like everything else, over time the technology will become must cheaper and more competitive. You drop off an depleted battery, they install a charged battery, they charge the drop off and install it later in another EV. They can turn over a battery several times a day. As the battery ages, they replace them with the most state of the art battery available, so it keeps the technology as current as possible. Don't get me wrong, I am sure there are plus and minus's but personally l like the convenience. Either way, looking forward to my Rivian.
HERHERE
ASDFASDF
I have read a lot about NIO, a Chinese high end EV manufacture. They have developed a automated battery swapping technology that seems to me the way to go. Instead of waiting 45 minutes to an hour to charge you vehicle, you pull into their battery swap center and within 5 minutes they replace your battery with a fully changed new one.

They have centers scattered through out China and if you are to believe everything you read, they do hundreds a day. You can also opt to buy your car without a battery, knocking about 10 grand off the price and sign up (for a monthly rate) to use their batteries through their swapping stations. Besides saving a lot of time you are always assured to get the latest state of art battery.

I wonder why US companies have not gone that route?
HERE IS A NEAT DEMO ON BATTERY SWAPPING:
https://cntechpost.com/2020/10/27/f...econds-nio-led-battery-swap-mode-sparks-race/
Sponsored