First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
Rivian has revealed that it's decision to offer the 135 kWh battery first was driven by customer base preference as determined by survey. We wonder why people would chose that option. Hope this poll might answer that question.
Sponsored

Babbuino

First Name
Manuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3
Occupation
DESIGN engineer
Rivian has revealed that it's decision to offer the 135 kWh battery first was driven by customer base preference as determined by survey. We wonder why people would chose that option. Hope this poll might answer that question.
I think new EV owners will try to go for the 400 miles. Im already getting range anxiety just thinking about my first road trip with the 300 mile version im using ABRP and plugshare a lot more often these past days...

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
You need a "depends on additional cost" option and specify that the 400 mile version will be at least 6 months later (likely more on the R1S).
I can't answer the poll at this point as the cost will be a factor in my decision. Timing is less important to me, but others will give it different weight.
I'm going to put up a poll to see how much people are willing to pay for the extra range

jagged

First Name
Jeremiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Buick LaCrosse
Occupation
Principal Engineer
Clubs

I've been planning on the 135Kwh battery, as I believe it's enough for me. I have also been assuming the 180kwh would be outside my budget, which it may still be. Hopefully Monday will tell.

OP
OP

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE Retired
Today the cost question can be dealt with to my satisfaction by anyone who appreciates that the cost of 33% more battery is going to be appreciable. Finer quantization than that I do not need but, as #4 implies one can always wait until Monday and vote on cost dependent on the actual cost of that option. I'm not interested in knowing how much they would have to lower or raise the price to get buyers to go one way or another. I am interested in knowing if the actual Rivian prices have swayed buyers.

Sponsored

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Frankly I see the need for the 180 going down over time as charging infrastructure continues to build out. In another 2+ years, many of us wanting the 180 now might be more comfortable with the 135 since we expect to have additional charging options en route (excepting those who overland or tow long distances as they will always want the biggest pack available). While I would still greatly prefer the 180 (and voted as such in this poll), this line of thinking may be what ultimately leads me to conclude that it's not worth waiting for a still unspecified period of time for the 400+ mile R1S. I'm not willing to wait another 2 years for the extra range.

Mjhirsch78

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Odyssey became an R1T: MAGIC!
Occupation
Teacher
If Montana and the Dakotas would put chargers in we could maybe get away with the 135. Right now we will struggle to make it across those states even with the 180. We seem to hit Butte/Bozeman and then going East is a fast-charging desert until Fargo. Road trips are our thing, so we really want that longer range.

Last edited:
OP
OP

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE Retired
Frankly I see the need for the 180 going down over time as charging infrastructure continues to build out.
I guess what we all are looking for is the ability to get in the car/truck and go wherever we need to go without fear of "running out of gas". If the density of chargers in an area is d (chargers per square mile) and the range of the vehicle is r then there are pi*d*r^2 chargers in range. Or, if you prefer to think of the chargers as being strung out along a linear route if there are n per mile and the range is r then there are n*r in range. Thus charging opportunities go as some power of r with that power being between 1 and 2. Most won't approach it mathematically like that but I think many will come to appreciate that this is basically what's in a drivers mind. A driver that has calculated or intuited this simple fact thus puts a big premium on range.

Now as the quote points out if d or n goes up, especially to the point where they approach the density of gas stations smaller values of r are tollerable. Yet most ICE vehicles have ranges of hundreds of miles which says that in addition to fear of being unable to refuel the inconvenience of having to refuel too frequently is a factor too. Elon Musk thinks 400 miles is about right for BEVs (excepting trucks where range gets cut way down when towing). Perhaps he's right.

Chewy734

First Name
Ashu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW, Ford, Rivian
Clubs

I believe they said that the R1S with the largest battery pack may include seating 7 as an option.

If that’s the case, I’ll reluctantly and patiently wait. Having the extra 100 miles would give me a piece of mind, and would be especially useful when hauling an Airstream when your range may get cut in half.

monzarottie

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, MB Sprinter 4x4, R2 Reservation
Occupation
Retired
I'd be fine with 135kw pack if I didn't plan on towing my travel trailer. Bummed the LE isn't the 180kw pack.

Sponsored

monzarottie

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, MB Sprinter 4x4, R2 Reservation
Occupation
Retired
I believe they said that the R1S with the largest battery pack may include seating 7 as an option.

If that’s the case, I’ll reluctantly and patiently wait. Having the extra 100 miles would give me a piece of mind, and would be especially useful when hauling an Airstream when your range may get cut in half.
Correct. The 180kw R1S will have 5 AND 7 seat options. I'm towing a Safari Condo Alto R1713 and while it's got a low coefficient of drag and only 2000lb dry, Im still opting for the 180kw pack. 5 seater though.

IHScout

First Name
Waid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevrolet Volt, Expedition
Correct. The 180kw R1S will have 5 AND 7 seat options. I'm towing a Safari Condo Alto R1713 and while it's got a low coefficient of drag and only 2000lb dry, Im still opting for the 180kw pack. 5 seater though.
I spoke with Kyle from chat and he said they aren't sure they can fit 180kw pack in the R1S with 7 seats but it will be a larger pack than the 135kw. They just haven't decided on how large the pack can be. Maybe something changes and they fit in 180kw pack for 7 seats. That is what I would opt to get.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
I spoke with Kyle from chat and he said they aren't sure they can fit 180kw pack in the R1S with 7 seats but it will be a larger pack than the 135kw. They just haven't decided on how large the pack can be. Maybe something changes and they fit in 180kw pack for 7 seats. That is what I would opt to get.
This is partly why this annoys me so much... getting held up while they sit and scratch their heads. It's time to deliver what they have been promising all along. They know they can fit the 180 in the 5 seat config so build them. If they can squeeze a few more cells than expected into the 7 seater, great. That can still come later but Jan 2022 is much better than an open ended date for those of us who prefer the 5 seat config.

Last edited:

IHScout

First Name
Waid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevrolet Volt, Expedition
This is partly why this annoys me so much... getting held up while they sit and scratch their heads. It's time to deliver what they have been promising all along. They know they can fit the 180 in the 5 seat config so build them. If they can squeeze a few more cells than expected into the 7 seater, great. That can still come later but Jan 2022 is much better than an open ended date for those os us who prefer the 5 seat config.
I agree with you. I would love a longer range R1S, but expected the 135 kw as the max for the 7 seater. Build the vehicles as you said they'd be built and figure out the larger pack later.

OP
OP

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE Retired
Found an "old" poll from July of this year. 38% wanted the 135 kWh and 62% wanted the 180 kWh. Rivian may be responding to its customer base but it isn't the part of its customer base that hangs around here (only 37 votes tallied in this poll as I write this and it's neck and neck).
Sponsored