Sponsored

Bad(?) range estimates and vampire losses.

nc10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, EV6 GT Line
Occupation
Engineer
Unfortnately, my "vampire" losses have been pretty bad lately (before the range estimate error mentioned below started today). I drive 20-30 miles/day, charge to 70% when I get to 30-40%. If I compare miles per kwh with what I'm actually put into the truck every 3-4 days to get it back to 70% I'm getting no more than 2 miles per KWH. The real time number on the truck display is larger, but doesn't account for vampire losses. Two days ago, i left the truck to sit for 24 hours, gear guard was off , and I lost 14 mile range in AP mode. Haven't tried removing the trim piece mentioned in this forum.

New problem today.
Set my R1T to charge last nite to take the battery from ~112 miles to a 70% charge. Usually this is 218-220 miles range in all purpose mode. When i went out to disconnect the charge cable this morning, my R1T was showing 260 miles range with a 70% charge. Charging cable has been disconnected all day, with the truck sitting in my garage. The estimated range has continued to increase all day (% charge has decreased 2% in 12 hours), now (12 hours after I disconnected the charging cable) the estimated range is 316 miles @68% charge in All purpose mode. FWIW (nothing), this projects to 460+ miles range with a 100% charge.

Rivian R1T R1S Bad(?) range estimates and vampire losses. 1675383531681
Sponsored

Marchin_MTB

First Name
Marcin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 i3, 2011 Honda CRV.
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer turned Space Physicist
Clubs

That is a bonkers range estimate. Mine is currently projecting 325mi in AP. A 3-5% SoC loss per 24hr is what our truck sees in cold temps (less than 40F). That accounts for several missing kWh. It’s about half that in warmer temperatures.